Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Action Pistol Match List

BigDave

...did some digging on the Shooting Sports USA website and found these

ACTION PISTOL

SHOOTING

REGIONALS

INDIANA, Rossville: Sep. 5, R; R.L. Patton, Jr., P.O. Box 218, Rossville, IN 46065; (765) 379-2384; patton@geetel.net

TEXAS, San Antonio: Oct. 10, R; M. Rawlings, 9503 Valley Dale, San Antonio, TX 78250; cledus@sbcglobal.net

WASHINGTON, Bluefield: Sep. 26, R; M.E. Hayton, Jr., 149 Rollins St., Bluefield, VA 24605; (276) 326-3746; trav@stargate.net

WEST VIRGINIA, Hinton: Sep. 25, R; K. Angstadt, 3709 Cedar Springs Rd., Rural Retreat, VA 24368; (276) 686-6553; kangstadt@naxs.net

STATE CHAMPIONSHIP

VIRGINIA, Bluefield: Outdoor, Action Pistol & Rim-Fire, Sep. 26, R; K. Angstadt, 3709 Cedar Springs Rd., Rural Retreat, VA 24368; (276) 686-6553

OTHER TOURNAMENTS

CALIFORNIA, Chino: Outdoor, Action Pistol & Rim-Fire, Jul. 11, Aug. 8, Sep. 12, Oct. 10, Nov. 14, Dec. 12, A; C. Kirazian, 9486 Geranium Cir., Fountain Valley, CA 92708

FLORIDA, Tallahassee: Outdoor, Jul. 17, Aug. 21, Sep. 18, Oct. 16, Nov. 20, Dec. 18, R; M. Fordyce, 8819 Centerville Rd., Tallahassee, FL 32309; (850) 566-1317; springymf@aol.com

INDIANA, Brookston: Outdoor, Jul. 3, Aug. 1, A; R.L. Patton, Jr., P.O. Box 218, Rossville, IN 46056; (765) 379-2384; patton@geetel.net

KANSAS, Hutchinson: Outdoor, Action Pistol, Rim Fire & Stock Gun, Jul. 11, Aug. 8, Sep. 12, Oct. 10, A; G. Dick, 1803 Wesbrook Dr., Hutchinson, KS 67502

KANSAS, Larned: Outdoor, Sep. 19, A; Kim M. Beckwith, P.O. Box 477, Larned, KS 67550

LOUISIANA, Lake Charles: Jul. 17, Aug. 21, Sep. 18, A; G. Mowbray, 4005 Barbewoods Dr., Lake Charles, LA 70605; (337) 304-1920; gmowbray@lakecharlespilots.com

MISSOURI, Billings: Outdoor, Jul. 11, Aug. 8, Sep. 12, Oct. 10, Nov. 7, A; A. Barksdale, 1112 E. Walnut, Springfield, MO 65806

NORTH CAROLINA, Wilmington: Outdoor, Jul. 25, Aug. 22, Sep. 26, Oct. 24, A; S. Powell, Jr., 3428 Osprey Ln., Wilmington, NC 28409

TEXAS, San Antonio: Aug. 15, Nov. 21, A; M.W. Mathews, 11947 Cedar Grey, San Antonio, TX 78249; (210) 561-0714; mmathws@swbell.net

VIRGINIA, Bedford: Action Pistol, Rim-Fire, Stock Gun, Jul. 17, Aug. 7, Oct. 2, A; A. Strawn, 1456 Benchmark Ln., Bedford, VA 24523

VIRGINIA, Bluefield: Outdoor, Action Pistol, Rim-Fire, Stock Gun, Aug. 15, A; K. Angstadt, 3709 Cedar Springs Rd., Rural Retreat, VA 24368; (276) 686-6553; kangstadt@naxs.net

WEST VIRGINIA, Hinton: Action Pistol, Rim-Fire, Stock Gun: Sep. 11, A; K. Angstadt, 3709 Cedar Springs Rd., Rural Retreat, VA 24368; (276) 686-6553; kangstadt@naxs.net

One correction, Dave, for those who don't already know ... the Indiana Regional match that their web site lists as "Rossville" is actually in Brookston. Rossville is where Mr. Patton lives.

That "Bluefield, Washington" Regional was a misprint. It's actually the Virginia State Championship in Bluefield, VA. Notice the contact info is for a Virginia address and the date's the same.

NRA's goof, not Dave's ;)

Alan~^~

I just Cut & Paste folks - it is the NRA... <_<

Yeah, isn't Bluefield right on the very southern tip of W. VA?

gm - I was thinking that. If any of our AP brethren wish to post their match dates here, by all means do so. That is the point after all, to get the info out to the public.

If your match is not listed here or the info is wrong above, either post your match dates/locations or send me a PM to correct the above info.

Has anyone else noticed that in the past month, Big Dave has done more to promote AP than the NRA has in the 5 years I have been shooting it?? do we have a convert in our midst??

Convert? Oh, yeah. He's a TRUE BELIEVER! No one can proselytize like a convert! :lol:

I think it's time for a new forum dedicated to NRA Action Pistol (or perhaps all of the NRA shooting sports) with BigDave as the moderator.

Rhino,

All NRA sports??? Oh my god!!! Do we really need that? Let's just stick to Action Pistol/Bianchi/ICASE.

Do we really want discussions on the merits of weak hand placement in Slow fire Bullseye? "Should I put it in my front pocket, in my waist band, my back pocket or behind my head???" Or the torque of a 185gr WC at 675 FPS.. is it enough to cant the gun to counter act?

Heck, yeah! If NRA AP is in trouble, then bullseye is already in the grave with the dirty being shoveled onto the casket! That game needs help!

Well as far as bullseye goes, there's still 700 to 800 shooters each year at Camp Perry for the Nationals (with number of military going down and civilians increasing); Canton and other major regionals are almost always full. I've had to turn away shooters at 2 matches so far this year because of lack of space. Bullseye (and the other shooting sports overall) seem to be be growing in our area. But still, we'll take all the shooters you can send. Heck, it might even help some of the IPSC / USPSA / IDPA guys hit a target further than 10 yards away.

For all shooiting sports, the level of activity and participation depends on the quality of the matches and the commitment of the people that run the matches. Get out and run one.

As an aside, the NRA does not do anything to help promote of support the local matches for any of the dicplines, that is the responsibility of the local affiliated clubs or individuals (rightly or wrongly). The NRA is responsible for provding the the administrative review of matches that are submitted, providing approval as sanctioned, tracking scores for classifications, etc. Now this policy / type of operation is the status quo and of course subject to debate.

CR10X is correct. If there were AP matches held in HALF of the places that list bullseye, it would be thriving at the local level and at the Cup.

USPSA, IPDA shooters have always been willing to grow their sports at the local level. I suspect this is true of Bullseye also. Most of today's AP shooters have their own private ranges, or shoot in unsanctioned and unadvertised matches with few participants. There is an AP range with matches just a few hours drive from here that will only have matches on a week night, refusing to have a Saturday match so anyone from out of town can participate. Its no wonder the Cup is at 50% capacity.

Most local programs are dead, or run by people concerned only with their own personal x counts.

Hmmm ... bullseye must be much more popular where you guys live. I haven't been able to find a place within driving distance of my home in Indiana that even has matches. The last time I read a copy of the Indiana State Rifle & Pistol Assoc.'s newsletter, it led me to believe participation was so low in Indiana that they had trouble fielding a single team to go to the national championships.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

INVITATION TO SHOW ME CUP

2004 NRA ACTION PISTOL

REGION X CHAMPIONSHIP

Pioneer Gun Club Kansas City, Missouri

TOURNAMENT NAME: NRA Action Pistol Regional Championship.

DATES: Match Date: October 2nd 2004. The Range will be available for Practice on Friday, October 1st 2004 between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. There will be a $10.00 fee charged for range use, we will have new NRA D-1 Targets available @ $0.50.

SPONSORING CLUB: Pioneer Gun Club.

FOR INFO CONTACT: Mike Harris HM: 816-884-2211

27622 S Belle Plain Rd Cell: 816-805-8895

Harrisonville, MO. 64701 E-Mail: nraactionpistol@juno.com

DIRECTIONS: On I-70 take the Bates City exit, go south on Z Highway 7.6 miles to HH Highway go East and at 1.2 miles go right on Ricky Road approx. 1.1 miles, turn right at pole with large P. Or from 50 Highway take Z Highway North 3.5 miles to HH Highway go East and at 1.2 miles go right on Ricky Road right approx. 1.1 miles, turn right at pole with large P.

RULES: 2004 NRA Action Pistol Rules shall govern.

COMPETITION OPEN TO: Open to all NRA Members.

ENTRY FEE: Entries received by September 2nd 2004 will be $85.00; post entries will be $100.00 until entries close at 10:00 am Oct. 2nd 2004. I would like to see pre entries so the squadding schedule can be made if necessary. These fees include the NRA Registration Fee. NRA Classification cards will be checked.

ENTRIES CLOSE: October 2nd 2004 @ 10:00 am

POST ENTRIES: Post entries will be accepted up to the stated range limit, or 10:00 am Oct. 2nd.

ENTRY LIMIT: First 40 Paid Entries.

SCHEDULE: Competitor check in will be 9:00 - 9:30 a.m. on October 2nd. Squadding information will be picked up at this time. Competitors briefing will begin 9:45 a.m.

FIRING STARTS: Range Officers will begin at 08:00 a.m. Competitors will begin firing at 10:00 a.m. date of match. All Competitors will be squadded!

CHALLENGES: There will be a $20.00 cash challenge fee. The Official Referees decision is final, unless no Official Referee is available, then a 3-man jury will be selected & they will have the final decision. NO PLUG GAUGES WILL BE USED except by an Official Referee.

(OVER PLEASE)

CLASSIFICATIONS: NRA Classification System (you must have a valid NRA Action Pistol

Classification card or TEMPORARY CLASSIFICATION book or you will

Shoot in Master Class-Unclassified).

AWARDS: See Attached Awards Schedule.

MATCH SCHEDULE Match 1 Practical, Match 2 Barricade, Match 3 Moving Target Modified, Match 4

& CONDITIONS: Falling Plates, Match 5 Regional Championship: An aggregate of scores fired in Matches 1, 2, 3, & 4. We utilize turning targets on Practical & Barricades & auto re-setters with lock bars on the Falling Plates. Incase of equipment failure we will return to the use of electronic timers if timely repairs cannot be made. All pistols and gear must meet NRA Specifications & Power Factors (at least 9mm and have a power factor of at least 120,000 velocity x bullet weight). We will pull ammo to chronograph. You should bring at least 100 rounds of ammo to each event in case of a refire.

RANGE RULES: There will be no handling of firearms unless instructed so by a Range Officer. There will be a designated safe area if cleaning or repair is needed but no live ammo will be allowed in this area. Violation of this rule will result in Disqualification. No Holster test will be performed; Any Dropped Loaded Gun will result in Disqualification. Ear and Eye protection is required on all ranges.

GENERAL INFO: Sandwiches will be available for lunch on match day. We have restrooms & showers at the range. No Alcoholic Beverages are allowed on the property.

MOTELS IN THE AREA: BLUE SPRINGS MOTELS: American Inn 816-228-1080, Interstate Inn 816-229-6311, Microtel Inn & Suites 1-888-771-7171, Super 8 816-224-2899, Motel 6 816-228-9133, Holiday Inn 816-220-7400, Hampton Inn 816-220-3844, Ramada Inn 816-229-6363. GRAIN VALLEY MOTELS: Courtyard Marriott 816-228-8100, Comfort Inn 816-847-2700, Travelodge 816-224-3420, OAK GROVE MOTELS: Days Inn 816-690-8700, Econo Lodge 816-625-3681, CONCORDIA MOTELS: Days Inn 660-463-7987, Best Western 660-463-2114. These Motels are all along I-70 within 20 miles of the range.

We held 2 years worth of monthly matches here in Ada ,Ok.

We had several USPSA shooters show up to a match or two never to return.

We made sure everyone won something.We changed the days from Sat. to Sunday.

I listened to the shooters and tried to make them happy. We went from 20 shooters to 10 to about 5.

I have a good friend thats a Master USPSA shooter that shoots all the matches in Ok.

I asked him what the problem was . Answer: Not enough rounds shot, Very hard match!

IE. small 10 ring to much shooting at 50 yards. Ect,ECT, ECT.

These were USPSA,Grandmasters and Masters. Bottom line turned out to be they could not win so they quit.

The funny thing was these big time shooters had their little groups that followed them to the matches and they were doing pretty well. But when they were told that Action Pistol

wouldn't help their USPSA shooting they quit.

The IDPA guys were even there,but shots at 50 and 25 yards aren't very tactical so they quit.

So now we shoot steel. They all seem to like steel. Well some like steel but at least they show up.

Well as of right now I heard their is a WV state championship and a VA state championship in the same weekend. I see the VA one posted anyone have any info on the WV one.

If they are the same weekend and close to each other I am seeing that as a doable thing.

Only problem is classification. How does one go about getting classified to enter a major match since realistically no one shoots the often enough to get classified.

Kingman,

Actually, the WV match is a Regional, and the VA is a State Championship the very next day. Your best bet would be a Motel in Princeton, WV to put you about an hour from the Regional and about 20 minutes from the Va State match on Sunday. I'll try to get your e-mail address and send you the info on both shoots. Or you can contact me at Alan550@yahoo.com and I'll send it then.

Classification is simple enough if oyu shoot at least 144 rounds in an Approved, or Registered match. The ones listed in Shooting Sports USA will fit that catagory.

Alan~^~