Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 moon clips

Scootertheshooter

I'm wanting to use my 627 in some plate shoots and need to be schooled on moon clips. Many choices as well as prices, one clip made for a specific brass etc.. What do people recommend ? Use one type of brass? Best place to get them? Any input is greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recommend HearthCo clips. Worth every single $. Even if, as in my case, they need to be shipped to Europe with all the problems to get along with (customs, shipping costs etc). Perfect in combination with Starline .38ShortColt brass. My first choice in 627 for steel and in the 586 for IPSC major loads

Dave Hearth is a member here. Just send him a message.

Scooter, If all you are going to do is shoot plates in a steel challenge format, it is not that important to get the Hearthco as you would not be reloading under the clock, and if you were... you missed one to many. Now if you are going to have to reload under the clock your moonclips are a big part of that equation. And the Hearthco are the best ones I have found. What is the caliber of the 627 do you have? Dave (Heartco) can set you straight on which model he would recomend. later rdd

Scooter, If all you are going to do is shoot plates in a steel challenge format, it is not that important to get the Hearthco as you would not be reloading under the clock, and if you were... you missed one to many.

Yep, things I don't want to hear at a steel challange match "great relode dude". :surprise:

Like Bubber said, if you are reloading on the clock you need Hearthco moonclips for the 627. It's not bad buying brass for revolvers since you get it all back anyway so I get my clips to fit Starline.

Scooter, If all you are going to do is shoot plates in a steel challenge format, it is not that important to get the Hearthco as you would not be reloading under the clock, and if you were... you missed one to many. Now if you are going to have to reload under the clock your moonclips are a big part of that equation. And the Hearthco are the best ones I have found. What is the caliber of the 627 do you have? Dave (Heartco) can set you straight on which model he would recomend. later rdd

I was actually going to try fall down steel so reloading on the clock will be am issue. 25 to 35 plates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winchester brass is a tight fit in the Ranch clips. But, no short colt from Win.

Al

I found this to be true as well. I use the BMT mooner and, as I am turning the mooner "cap", Winchester brass causes resistance to the point that I stop instead of forcing the round in to the clip. I have not loaded any moonclips in some time so I can't recall if any other headstamps have the same problem. I now remove all Winchester 38 brass and set it aside for use in speedloaders.