Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Saiga 12 shooters; question about loading one round in an empty gun.

cas

Just looking for some input from some Saiga shooters. I'm kicking around ideas for a stage for a fun club match next year where the stages would all me slightly odd/quirky. One potential idea is for a stage where all your ammo is staged along the course of fire ahead of time, so basically you'd single load the whole stage.

So how much trouble is it for a Saiga, loading and firing one round? Pain in the butt or what?

Having an Open division would alter the intent of a couple of the stages (allowing pre loaded mages/tubes that is) but since they'd only be shooting against each other, so whatl. This stage however is the only one without a work around. I'm assuming single loading a Saiga has got to be MUUUUCH slower than single loading a tube gun. Though they may not care, it's just a fun club match, they may still want to shoot them anyway. I'm just weighing my options between having no Open division or warning them ahead of time "You can shoot your Saiga, but you will not be happy." :devil:

I had a club match a couple years ago where the ammo was forced to be in a bowl on the table. Considering I had to load the mag and then insert the mag and rack it was pretty much a total cluster. Do it but make it a rifle stage and you will get the idea.

I had a club match a couple years ago where the ammo was forced to be in a bowl on the table. Considering I had to load the mag and then insert the mag and rack it was pretty much a total cluster. Do it but make it a rifle stage and you will get the idea.

There will be stages like that too, but with those I figured I'd let them start with loaded tubes/mags since they're shootting against each other. If they have less "fun" than the rest of us, their loss. This is a shotgun only match… an "Impractical shotgun match" ;)

As far as collecting all the shells and loading the mag, the plan was to specify that you couldn't have more than one round in the gun at a time to keep people from doing just that, no matter what type gun they're using.

Edited by cas

There will be stages like that too, but with those I figured I'd let them start with loaded tubes/mags since they're shootting against each other. If they have less "fun" than the rest of us, their loss. This is a shotgun only match… an "Impractical shotgun match" ;)

As far as collecting all the shells and loading the mag, the plan was to specify that you couldn't have more than one round in the gun at a time to keep people from doing just that, no matter what type gun they're using.

Would be a definate handicap to the S12, or by then maybe, the Akdal crowd if I read it right. IMO. But you never can tell how it will go.

Edited by Kent Grewe

Just looking for some input from some Saiga shooters. I'm kicking around ideas for a stage for a fun club match next year where the stages would all me slightly odd/quirky. One potential idea is for a stage where all your ammo is staged along the course of fire ahead of time, so basically you'd single load the whole stage.

So how much trouble is it for a Saiga, loading and firing one round? Pain in the butt or what?

Having an Open division would alter the intent of a couple of the stages (allowing pre loaded mages/tubes that is) but since they'd only be shooting against each other, so whatl. This stage however is the only one without a work around. I'm assuming single loading a Saiga has got to be MUUUUCH slower than single loading a tube gun. Though they may not care, it's just a fun club match, they may still want to shoot them anyway. I'm just weighing my options between having no Open division or warning them ahead of time "You can shoot your Saiga, but you will not be happy." :devil:

Sounds great as long as you have a stage where you start with an empty gun and at the buzzer can use your speed loaders or insert your mag and start. (whats fair is fair)

Pat

Empty start with ammo all in one spot isnt bad. I can load empty mags in my chest rig out of a box as fast or faster than most tube fed shooters.

Loading one round at a time period sucks. I had to do it at a match in MI several years ago and I had one of the worst times on that stage.

Edited by SinistralRifleman

We had to do the same type of thing for the High Plains SG match in 2010. I just had one round in each magazine...if the course of fire had 30 rounds that would really suck. I do have about 20 magazines:-)

Hope this helps...

My .02 anyhow

Busyhawk

Why would this be fun?

Because it's something they haven't done 100 times before for starters. The entire match will be that way.

Now if I can just talk the board of directors into making it a team match, one spotter, one blindfolded shooter…. ;)

In 2010 Ironman had a stage where you had limited ammo and you had to load an empty shotgun on the clock. Here is my run, it starts with me loading my Saiga mags on the clock with 25 rounds. I didn't shoot it very well, too many missed shots, but it was interesting. If you force guys to load a Saiga one round at a time you will just piss them off, not alot of fun value in that.

Doug

Edited by Doug H.

If you force guys to load a Saiga one round at a time you will just piss them off, not alot of fun value in that.

That is what I want to avoid. 80-90% of the guys shooting Saiga's at our matches aren't are regular USPSA shooters, they're not shooting "race guns", they're just guys who come to the shotgun matches and own Saigas.

I can either say "No Open divisions", or warn them ahead of time "If you shoot a Saiga you will REALLY hate one stage." It may not matter to them because they're all there for fun and in no danger of doing well otherwise.

Edited by cas

If I knew about the one at a time loading and could only shoot one shotgun, I would bring a tube gun. Although it would be entertaiing to watch people single load Saigas. I can already hear the rubbing to the Saiga shooting cheaters.

I agree with Doug,when the majority of shooters compete purely for fun..I can't see the joy in that.I agree there has to be a level of challenge in a stage,

however there is a difference in challenging and impractical (annoying). My 02

Goat68,

Saiga shooting cheaters?

I'm confused.