Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

610 troubles

fishhunter3

it's an old gun, just dusted it off as I want to start shooting revo for the winter indoor season,worked fine when I put it away 10+ years ago but can't get it to work again. been playing with it for a few months and it is well above my skill level to fix at this point

Send it to Randy or Frank Glenn. S&W may help but it depends who you have on the phone. My 686 38 super had a problem like that, the the CSR sent me a 40 caliber firing pin which was slightly longer. Worked great after that.

Might call them first, and if no good help go to Randy or Frank

Apex competition extended firing pin in my new 610 solved most of my ignition problems. These problems were related to slightly warped moon clips.

https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid2.html

The second source of problems were with lead free primers. These are marked with the letters LF. They fire perfectly in my 40 caliber pistol but have troubles with my revolver. This is a consequence of my trigger and hammer springs being changed during a gunsmithing. The leadfree primers are significantly harder than the federal primers.

I am not a mechanical genius. It took less than 60 seconds to change the firing pin. Remove the sideplate remove the firing pin and put in the new one. Be careful not to lose the firing pin spring. It's not necessary to disassemble the trigger mechanisms. Make sure that all your dry firing practice is done with snap caps to minimize any damage to the firing pin.

I have enjoyed shooting IPSC/USPSA with open, production, and limited pistols for 15 years and now I've found happiness with a revolver.

Best regards and have fun

When my 610 started to get a few light strikes, I checked the main spring and found taht I had to turn it about 3/4 of a turn to make it tight again....lesson learned I keep a close eye on it now....maybe you will get luck and fix the problem with a quick turn of a screw....if not APEX is a great place to send stuff

When my 610 started to get a few light strikes, I checked the main spring and found taht I had to turn it about 3/4 of a turn to make it tight again....lesson learned I keep a close eye on it now....maybe you will get luck and fix the problem with a quick turn of a screw....if not APEX is a great place to send stuff

Dido. When my gun was stock at one of my first matches with it I started getting light strikes and my tension screw was backing out.

My 610 had and still has the same problem as your 610. The only way I ever got it to fire reliably is to use Federal primers in my reloads. It will not have a light strike with Federal primers. I tried a longer firing pin, checked my strain screw for tightness, even removed the stock strain screw and put a allen set screw in it's place for more main spring tension. Nothing made it reliable, but Federal primers. Also if you are shooting reloads now, make sure the primers are seated deep. A high primer will cause a light strike. A dirty cylinder will cause a light strike also.

If you're shooting 40's out of your 610 (which I think all of us are) the case mouth does not sit on the front rim of the chamber like a 45 does in a 625 or a 10mm does in the 610. The rigidity of the moonclip matters a lot. Any flexing of the moonclip robs the firing pin of energy to light the primer. My 610 is very reliable when shooting with flat Hearthco moonclips but much less so with Ranch clips or the supplied S&W clips. I use the TK Custom Moon Saver tool on the Hearthco's after every match. I may be mistaken about the theory of why, but I am very confident of the reliability of the mentioned moonclips.

tried these fixes,3 styles of moon clips the main spring is tight, thought the grips were causing the problem as the rubber was coming apart on the inside and binding on the main spring,and still no luck,and I'm using federal primers, and everything I can think of.Time to get it to a expert and get it done right looked at apex tac website and they look good, will have to call and talk to them.

Might want to try the RIMZ moon clips.. no tools neccesary, and if the moon is bent enough to affect reliability, it will usually just break.. I've had many a stepped on RIMZ moon only to have them retain their shape and keep working.. The RIMZ are the polymer clips..