Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Forum Maintenance on Dec. 1st

benos

I'm going to turn off the forums for a bit, Thursday Dec. 1st, to run some maintenance tools. At this moment I can't say exactly when I will turn of fthe forums, or how long they will be off for. But as I get more info from Rob Boudrie, I'll add it here.

be

The forum's pages load noticably snappier to me after running the database table optimizing tool. And the server load average is just a fuzz over about half of what it would normally be, with 350+ members online.

:D

The forum's pages load noticably snappier to me after running the database table optimizing tool. And the server load average is just a fuzz over about half of what it would normally be, with 350+ members online.

:D

I see a big increase in (page loading) speed! :cheers:

Hey BE I'm using Google Chrome and I am still getting no response messages periodically since the work was done. I thought it cleared up last night but it was still happening today.

It seems like that would have to a be a browser problem.

be

Just got it again trying to do a search on DAA ....

Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to www.brianenos.com

Suggestions:

• Try reloading the page
  • Search on Google:

I guess it must be but it just started recently. As a matter of fact it has happened 5 times in the last 15 minutes.

And I might add, it does not have this problem anywhere else.

Edited by Kevin Sanders

The last few IPBoard updates have come with some unforseen consequences. I like some of the new features, but search has never been as friendly as it was a couple of years ago. If all 3.2.3 brings is cool looking skins, I hope Brian will pass.

The last few IPBoard updates have come with some unforseen consequences. I like some of the new features, but search has never been as friendly as it was a couple of years ago. If all 3.2.3 brings is cool looking skins, I hope Brian will pass.

I'm not sure the search "challenges" are as much a result of an upgrade as a database indexing crash late-2010.

(and it bugs me, too)

Just updated NJGF to 3.2.3. It is a big update, but most of all, more secure.

On a board this size though, you need to re-skin...

That is a MAJOR problem for me. I hate them for changing the Stylesheet, from just going from 3.1 to 3.2. I couldn't stand all the "white space" when we went to 3.1 - it's days and nights of work for me to edit the Stylesheet to where it is now. And just to go to 3.2, I'd have to now do it all over again. :(

This forum still has one of the BEST search functions out there. :cheers:

Thank you. Since I was able to get the Sphinx search repaired, I think our current search feature rocks as well.

be

The good thing Brian about 3.2+ is it has a visual skin editor - no longer do you need CSS to change the skin - you can literally open the visual editor and click on an area and tell it what color you want it.

Makes needing skins and css pointless.

Also 3.2.3 actually has a better search feature and more importantly the "NEW CONTENT" actually WORKS CONSISTANTLY. Plus it is much more stable and secure as 3.1+ Just something to look at

The good thing Brian about 3.2+ is it has a visual skin editor - no longer do you need CSS to change the skin - you can literally open the visual editor and click on an area and tell it what color you want it.

Makes needing skins and css pointless.

Also 3.2.3 actually has a better search feature and more importantly the "NEW CONTENT" actually WORKS CONSISTANTLY. Plus it is much more stable and secure as 3.1+ Just something to look at

The current system uses the Invisionboard search plug-in facility to use the sphinx search engine, which is the only reason the forum has an acceptable search speed.

Has 3.2.3 improved search to the point where one no longer needs to add aftermarket search software to get pre-index database optimization of the search function?

Thanks - I didn't know that. I'll test it out in my test forums, after the holiday season.

Has 3.2.3 improved search to the point where one no longer needs to add aftermarket search software to get pre-index database optimization of the search function?

Not sure on that one. I'll submit a ticket on it though.