Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 disconector stops slide

redwoods

I have a Dan Wesson PM9 1911 in 9mm. I did some mods by putting on a dawson ice magwell, and thats it.

When I rack the slide and pull it to the rear, then release it, it hangs up for a second on the disconnector. The bottom of the slide at the breach hits the top of the disconnector. If I pull the slide back, then slowly release it, it will stop the slide for a bit but it may also drop the slide.

How do I fix this?

Thanks,

Randy

Check the sear spring center leaf's tip and the bevel on the disconnector where it bears.

My SA that acted that way had a sharp and rough tip on the sear spring that was just propping up the disconnector.

A new Colt sear spring with smooth tip and the gouges polished out of the bevel on the bottom of the disconnector fixed it right up.

read this

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=12535/GunTechdetail/2-lb-Trigger-Pull

and see how much spring tension you need , where to polish the disco, polish the center leaf spring etc

chamfer the sides of the top of the disco to prevent drag in the disconnector slot, chamfer the underside of the breach face or a look @ this http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=283863

gr T

sorry for my "poor" English

Take a look at the slide, the bottom corner on mine was so sharply square that it would catch where it ran over the disconnector. I took a small narrow stone and just polished this edge off just the slightest bit. No problems with that for about 100k. It doesn't affect the trigger pull or any other part of the firing mech.

You had no issues prior to installing the ICE magwell?

You are positive the disconnector currently stops slide movement?

Disassemble the receiver and reinstall all parts (including springs) paying particular attention to proper installation.

I do not recommend filing on the disconnector until you are absolutely positive the disconnector is the issue. A too short disconnector can have a very undesirable effect.

The dawson ice magwell is a magwell and mainspring housing combined.

I looked at it agian and the disconnector definately sticks up as high, or higher than my other 1911s.

When I pull the slide back, then let it back forward, it goes smooth then slows when it hits the disconnector, then closes.

I will take off the dawson mainspring housing/magwell and return it to stock. Then see what it does.

I pushed down on the disconnector using a punch when I had the slide to the rear and it is stiffer than my other 1911's.

Randy

Randy....

If you have a micrometer, measure the overall length of the disconnector.

Do not take a file to the disconnector just yet.

If the disconnector is to spec, there is a specific tool to smooth out and enlarge the disconnector pocket in the slide.

Once again, I would not alter any part until you know exactly where your pistol (and parts) is (are) relative to specifications.

• 1 year later...

Randy

I just purchased a PM9 over the weekend and I am having the same issues with the slide getting hung up by the disconnector. A firm push forward will close the slide...

How did you end up fixing the issue?

I have not taken the gun out to the range as im nervouse this Issue will create other issues. I emailed Dan Wesson on the issue now all I can do is wait.

If the slide hangs without pressing the trigger, check sear spring tension and that it's seated correctly.

Sometimes the MSH and spring doesn't fit together without adjustment.

If the slide hangs when You press the trigger then check that the disco clears the hammer strut.

there is a spec for disconector length, check that with mic, then check the ramp on the disconetor that the 3 prong spring rides on this should be polished with out removing much metal also polish the center leaf on the spring where it contacts the disconector. Then with the slide off function the trigger and watch the tip of the disconecter and see how much it moves back and forth then push it down and see how smooth it operates. Then check the forward edge of the slide lightly break the edge and then.

Then check the forward edge of the slide lightly break the edge and then.

This is what I was going to suggest. If there isn't a slight bevel on the bottom of the slide where it is hanging up on the disconnecter you need to bevel it a small amount. It doesn't take much.

Then check the forward edge of the slide lightly break the edge and then.

This is what I was going to suggest. If there isn't a slight bevel on the bottom of the slide where it is hanging up on the disconnecter you need to bevel it a small amount. It doesn't take much.

Thanks for everyones suggestions...

I checked the bottom of the slide where it hangs up last night...Suprisingly there is No Bevel built into the slide at all...its cut at a perfect 90 Degree Angle. I will wait to hear back from Dan Wesson and proceed from there.