Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moon clip

Ray Chonlatid

Ray,

TK Custom has a moon clip straightner. It works well and costs about $70.00 I think. For me it is wll worth it but 45 moonclips are real cheap, mine not so. The tool has paid for itself already in my case. Just a thought. rdd

Another option is to contact Beckahm Product Design and try out their polymer moon clips. No tools needed to load'em , unload'em or straighten them (They don't bend or rust or cut your fingers) I have some for a 625 as well as my 610. I love'm and wouldn't go back to steel for anything. www.beckhamdesign.com

I bought the steel moonclip from DILLON price USD9.80 per 10. I bough some stainless steel moonclip from WILSON COMBAT too, may be USD12.00~14.00. These are not include shipping charge outside US (I live in Thailand).

If I can buy the .45acp moonclip USD20 per 100 :huh: . I assure that I must forget the moonclip straightner tool.

Round_Gun_Shooter, could you suggest how & where you order from ? Bubber, are you also bought the same price (USD20 per 100) ?

Desmark6, I ever inquried their polymer moon clips. But it's need to modified all my holders. Do you know what I thought ? You can guess. ;)

Regards,

• 4 weeks later...

I wish some one would make a good moon clip for the 38 super revolvers.

I have tried the tk ones and the ones from Heath and neither are better than the smith and wesson clips.. all are very expensive.

Leroy

Dave

You were kind enough to send me a couple to try out and i need to return them

I was disappointed that the ones for the 8 shot 627 wont work with the moon setter tool..

I still have the best fit with smith clips and they still arent great.

I will mail them back to you tomorrow man i wish they did work it is almost impossable to find a good clip for the 38 super.

Leroy

I like my Hearthco 38 Supercomp clips. Nice ans solid since supercomp seems much more consistent rim-wise than the random-headstamp 38 Super brass in my collection-- those were annoying in the super clips.

Hey Leroy,

Kind of curious what kind of brass your using as 100% of all my other customers find my 38 Super clips to be considerably tighter than their other clips.

As far as your Moonsetter and my 38 8 shot clips, www.moonclips.com sells the mandrel that fits. Dave

Dave,

Yes I know I can order a mandrel but the mandral is not the problem the moonsetter tool wont work with your clips because of the way the tips are made.

I used starline, winchester ap, and find the best fit with remmington nickle which is a pain to reload ..I have 38super comp brass also and that dosent even fit any moon clips that i have and i have smith..tk clips

I mailed your clips back today that you sent me for free and thank you again for being so kind and let me try them first. I dont know what other shooters are using that they say fit so well but I not having much luck at all.

Leroy

Leroy,

The first moonsetter tools had problems seating the cartridge in Dave's 38 super clip. The portion of the moonclip between the cases hit the tool before the cartridge was seated in the clip. Grinding a recess area for the clip on the tool ledge with a Dremel or small file usually solved the problem. Also, the mandrel needs to be aligned correctly with the ledge so the cartridge is centered on the clip hole. If it isn't, one side of the clip will hit first and the cartridge won't seat.

Finding 38 super brass that works well with moonclips can be a challenge. 38 super comp or 38 super TJ won't work. Some Starline brass works and some doesn't. RP and Winchester usually work fairly well. PMC is usually iffy.

It's too bad you sent Dave's clips back. They are probably the best clips on the market today!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just tried the Beckham RIMZ moonclips for the 646.

Boy, I dunno.

The .40 rounds seem to snap in and out just fine, but sometimes I could feel them getting a little snaggy as the gun cycled, and for some reason they did not want to extract nearly as nicely as the metal clips. I haven't figured out why that would happen....but it did. Also, for some reason the loaded clips did not want to load into my Blade-Tech carriers as smoothly. It's almost like the dimensions are slightly different or something.

I was considering taking the RIMZ clips with me to the MO State IDPA match this weekend, but I think I'll leave them at home and experiment with them later.

Fire: I haven't found any that are quite right, either. I can live with the factory split clips now that I loosened up my blade-tech holder a little with a hairdryer--they still reload pretty fast as long as all six rounds come out with the clip.

Let me know if you find any that are perfect....I'll do the same if I discover any, OK?

Firewalker, Carmoney,

Have either of you tried the Hearthco clips yet? I am like Firewalker, not satisfied with the factory clips....

I noticed that the clips in the Brownells book is offered in two different thicknesses,

maybe the thick ones to help take up the space in the rim groove?

Hoping to shoot mine in the TN IDPA State match in October but if I can't get something better than what came with it I will shoot the 610 instead.

Hopalong

Hopalong, carmoney........

I keep checking TK customs web site for the release of there solid clips for the 646 it should be ideal....but no release yet....I will keep looking and post anything that i find if it runs....I love that gun just want it to run like a scalded cat :P .

Either of u gentlemen shooting revolver at IDPA nationals?

Firewalker,

will miss IDPA nationals, can only afford 1 at a time and USPSA got the nod this year, hope to make them next year though. :)

Let us know about the moonclips, I am like you I think this little gun can run like a cheeta, (in the right hands) :P

Looks like the TN and MS IDPA state matches are it for me this year <_<

Good Luck at Little Rock and whip a couple of them bottom feeders for me. :D

Hopalong

Hopalong: I picked up a couple packages of the Brownells split clips (thicker version), and although they work fine in the gun, they still don't hold the rounds quite as tightly as I would like (i.e. tight enough that no rounds ever stay in my clip-holders!) I have not tried the Hearthco clips, to my knowledge (although I'm not sure who makes the 646 clips sold by Brownells).

Firewalker: I haven't shot enough sanctioned IDPA matches to qualify for the nationals this time around (just getting back into competitive shooting this year after a 9-year hiatus), but I'm hoping to shoot that match next year (particularly if it's held in Columbia, as has been rumored, since that would be shorter drive for me--I'm in central Iowa).

Keep them wheels turnin'.