Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

pack for 3 gun

caz41

I am looking for a pack to use to lug around my stuff at matches. Ammo, mag's, snacks, whatever I bring. I was looking at these two in cheaper than dirt. Anybody have any 1st hand experience with either? If you have something else that works feel free to post a pic or link. Thanks

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/PACK125-1.html

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=MOLLE-980&ingb=Y

I've been using an Eberlestock GSII for about a year and a half, for around 8 major matches and a handful of locals. The problem w/ the Eberlestocks is you can put too much stuff in them. Spare parts, cleaning kit, tools, ammo, mags, all three guns, water, snacks, first aid kit, extra eye and ear pro, range finder, binos.... Before I realized I didn't need to have the kitchen sink on every stage, my pack weighed about 85 lbs, of course that is using .308 and .45acp for HM.

Like Mark said, the guns are not completely covered, unless you use the butt-cover that comes w/ the pack. I have about 4 extra pouches I've picked up to organize it better. I think the Phantom is a little better laid out for 3 gun than the GSII due to the organization of it inside.

If you're looking for something cheaper, I'd look at the Brownells 3 Gun Bag. It looks to be very well constructed and big enough to carry all your stuff.

The Voodoo has been good to me for two years now. Only complaint is the color has faded. I bought the ARPAT camo pattern and its now brown. I purchased a Condor small pack with mag pouches at the same time, also in ARPAT. Both bags go together every time. Condor bag looks perfect.

I apologize for not being clear enough. I already have a double weapon bag. I am looking for a separate pack to put some stuff in. Similar is size or style to the two links that I provided in the OP.

Thanks for all the reply's though as is.

I got suckered into a Mod Gear pack. The zippers are really cheap and the stitching is very poor. The straps are not attached to the pack very well. While I do not own a LVLIII Assault Pack, I've read on quite a few forums that the zippers and the stitching are it's weak points as well.

I own and have owned many packs and I've learned that there is a reason that the good packs/bags cost 2-3 times as much as the cheap ones. They are worth every penny and they will last nearly a lifetime. Always spend your money on quality stitching and heavy duty zippers as that is the area that will typically fail.

I really like the 5.11 RUSH series packs and all of the Maxpedition gear. Both are pricey, but they will last a long long time, so you can buy with confidence. LA Police Gear has lots of good deals on Maxped and 5.11 all the time. You can often get free shipping and free stuff.

I've been using an Eberlestock GSII for about a year and a half, for around 8 major matches and a handful of locals. The problem w/ the Eberlestocks is you can put too much stuff in them. Spare parts, cleaning kit, tools, ammo, mags, all three guns, water, snacks, first aid kit, extra eye and ear pro, range finder, binos.... Before I realized I didn't need to have the kitchen sink on every stage, my pack weighed about 85 lbs, of course that is using .308 and .45acp for HM.

Like Mark said, the guns are not completely covered, unless you use the butt-cover that comes w/ the pack. I have about 4 extra pouches I've picked up to organize it better. I think the Phantom is a little better laid out for 3 gun than the GSII due to the organization of it inside.

If you're looking for something cheaper, I'd look at the Brownells 3 Gun Bag. It looks to be very well constructed and big enough to carry all your stuff.

Do you carry the rifle and SG together in the main weapon compartment, or do you use the scabbard attached to the side of the pack?

Caz41, I put the shotgun in a scabbard then slide it into the main compartment w/ the rifle. This works great with a non-optically equipped rifle, I have yet to try it w/ a scoped rifle. I tried using the scabbard attached to the side of the pack, but w/ my 24" Nova it stuck up way too high and was not very secure.

Caz, I tested a 16" AR w/ scope and my FN SLP tonight. Both fit inside the main compartment. I would call it "snug". If the shotgun scabbard was about 4" longer it would be great, but the scabbard is short enough that it leaves a small portion of the SLP's rail exposed to rub against the rifle.

Caz, I tested a 16" AR w/ scope and my FN SLP tonight. Both fit inside the main compartment. I would call it "snug". If the shotgun scabbard was about 4" longer it would be great, but the scabbard is short enough that it leaves a small portion of the SLP's rail exposed to rub against the rifle.

Last year I experemented with a Gunslinger and heavy metal. I tried about every combination I could think of, both long guns in the back by themselves, one in the scabbard, 2 gunsocks, the scabbard on the side, and 2 scabbards, I even tried making a Plywood liner. Here are my thoughts:

If you are running relatively smooth guns, say a M1A and a pump shotgun without a hard sidesaddle, you will be happiest. Protrusions are the enemy and the more Pistol Grips, cocking handles, side saddles, bumpy scope mounts and exposed sights you run, the less you will like the gunslinger.

If you are running anything longer than an M4 or a 20" shotgun, you will want to fold out the bottom pocket to let the guns sit lower, but this makes the pack a pain to pick up and put down, as well as to get anything out of [including your long guns].

If it is wet out at all, you will hate this pack unless your range has covered benches. You might as well find a mud hole and waller in it to start, because that's what you will look like afterward. If it's dry, substitute the word dust for mud..

If you run any rubber ir stipples or grip tape on your guns you will cuss getting the guns out.

If you use chamberflags in the pack, you will hate the pack, or learn to unflag as you insert, and re-flag as you remove.

If you have enough mags and ammo and stuff in the pack for a full day at a match, there is no easy way to get the long guns out, unless you roll it straps up. AND that much stuff tends to severley pressurize your hydration bladder for some spectacular results...

Bottom line, I think the gunslinger is a really cool pack, but the only way I made it useable for me was build a 1/4" plywood liner for the gun compartment, that had an L shaped foot, and 2 tent poles hanging from the top that allowed the pack to stand up by it's self [think golf bag]. I used a plywood divider to keep the guns apart, and that setup worked fairly well except it made for a pretty heavy pack, and at the second match, I steped in a hole, fell and broke the plywood. At that point, I took my contraption out, and sold the pack.

As far as the OP's original question, the first link you list isn't a bad pack. It's worth it to take it down to your local leather or shoe shop and have them overstitch the shoulder strap attachment points but otherwise, it is small enough to make it difficult to put too much ammo and stuff in it to tear it up. As long as you arent rocking Trooper class, it should be good to go. The better packs are better, but think of the economics this way, if you plan to spend $50 a year on packs, you either can buy a new $50 pack every year, or spend, say $200 and make the pack last 4 years. The difference is, with the cheap stuff, you have a new pack every year, and spend more aggregate time with a "new" pack in that same 4 year period.

Edited by barrysuperhawk

Barry makes some valid points, here's how I deal w/ these issues.

I have a 22" M1A and 24" Nova and only use chamber flags if the range requires it. The Nova has grip tape on the forearm, no side saddle, and slides into the shotgun scabbard, then into the main compartment w/ the rifle. I leave the bottom of the main compartment extended all the time. I have a couple double rifle mag pouches on the exterior sides of the pack, a padded pouch on the bottom for my rangefinder, and a surplus gas mask pouch on the front for a first aid kit and eye pro. When I get to the stage, I take the pack off and drop it on the ground. If it's dirt it's going to get dirty. If it's mud, it's going to get muddy. I do have a rain cover, which works well to keep the contents dry. I lay it on the ground w/ the backpack straps up, which makes it easy to get the rifle and shotgun out. If I need something out of the main compartment, I just roll it over.

I may throw a bottle of water in the pack, but don't use a hydration bladder. The pockets for the bladder are better suited to a couple boxes of slugs or pistol ammo.

It's not perfect, but I don't like carrying stuff in my hands. It degrades my ability to communicate as I am a "hand talker". :)

Last year I experemented with a Gunslinger and heavy metal. I tried about every combination I could think of, both long guns in the back by themselves, one in the scabbard, 2 gunsocks, the scabbard on the side, and 2 scabbards, I even tried making a Plywood liner. Here are my thoughts:

If you are running relatively smooth guns, say a M1A and a pump shotgun without a hard sidesaddle, you will be happiest. Protrusions are the enemy and the more Pistol Grips, cocking handles, side saddles, bumpy scope mounts and exposed sights you run, the less you will like the gunslinger.

If you are running anything longer than an M4 or a 20" shotgun, you will want to fold out the bottom pocket to let the guns sit lower, but this makes the pack a pain to pick up and put down, as well as to get anything out of [including your long guns].

If it is wet out at all, you will hate this pack unless your range has covered benches. You might as well find a mud hole and waller in it to start, because that's what you will look like afterward. If it's dry, substitute the word dust for mud..

If you run any rubber ir stipples or grip tape on your guns you will cuss getting the guns out.

If you use chamberflags in the pack, you will hate the pack, or learn to unflag as you insert, and re-flag as you remove.

If you have enough mags and ammo and stuff in the pack for a full day at a match, there is no easy way to get the long guns out, unless you roll it straps up. AND that much stuff tends to severley pressurize your hydration bladder for some spectacular results...

Bottom line, I think the gunslinger is a really cool pack, but the only way I made it useable for me was build a 1/4" plywood liner for the gun compartment, that had an L shaped foot, and 2 tent poles hanging from the top that allowed the pack to stand up by it's self [think golf bag]. I used a plywood divider to keep the guns apart, and that setup worked fairly well except it made for a pretty heavy pack, and at the second match, I steped in a hole, fell and broke the plywood. At that point, I took my contraption out, and sold the pack.

As far as the OP's original question, the first link you list isn't a bad pack. It's worth it to take it down to your local leather or shoe shop and have them overstitch the shoulder strap attachment points but otherwise, it is small enough to make it difficult to put too much ammo and stuff in it to tear it up. As long as you arent rocking Trooper class, it should be good to go. The better packs are better, but think of the economics this way, if you plan to spend $50 a year on packs, you either can buy a new $50 pack every year, or spend, say $200 and make the pack last 4 years. The difference is, with the cheap stuff, you have a new pack every year, and spend more aggregate time with a "new" pack in that same 4 year period.

I have about all the stuff you say will make me hate the pack. I love it. I've run it with a tube fed 21-24" SG in the scabbard or my Saiga with a left side charge handle and a Arredondo shell stop. For my rifle I run either a RAMP mount or Dueck Defense sights. Chamber flags occasionally. Never had any issues. What I like is the pack is sturdy enough it's gone through TSA several times as a stand alone bag. No issues. Makes it a lot easier, and cheaper than trying to pack my 3Gun gear into another suitcase.