Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Competition

sapper

Hi; I am new to the site as well as new to posting on a forum. I hope I am in the right area. I will be home from Afghanistan in April and want to try 3 gun. I have several handguns and 1 AR. I also have a 48 Franchi and 1100 Remington that are both inherited. I really don't want to expose them to the abuse of 3 gun. For a redeployment gift my wife has agreed to by me a new shotgun. It looks like the 1100 and m2 or m4 Benelli are great but by the time they are ready it would be more than I can spend. I have now looked at a 3500 Stoegher but can't find an extended magazine. It appears the FNH MK1 is next in the price range and it comes with the long magazine. Does anyone have advice on my best choice for under $1000 ready to use? And also is there 3 gun for youth age 11? I live in north Georgia if there are any clubs. Thanks in advance for the advice!!

Hey Sapper...welcome to the forum. First off... I would hold off on buying anything until you shoot at least one match. There you will see what everyone else is using. Ask a few questions and I am sure you will find people that are willing to let you shoot their equipment. Advice on a forum is great but its no match for actually handling and shooting a firearm. I would shoot the 1100 that first match and just have fun.

If that doesn't work for you, try finding a used shotgun. I found a used benelli M1 that came out of a squad car for $600. I shot it a couple matches before I started to customize it some. I choose the benelli because I had trained with it for years. I hear good things about the FNH but I have never shot one.

Also try scrolling down to the 3-gun shotgun section of the forum. Lots of great information there.

Good luck with your decision and keep your head down.

Check out River Bend Gun Club (Dawsonville) and Creekside Firing Range (Taylorsville) for 2/3 gun matches (River Bend is currently limited to pistol/shotgun matches because of range issues). Also, check out georgiaipsc.com for a list of matches and clubs around georgia.

Ditto the FNH SLP. I've been using one for a year now and really like the gun. Comes ready for 3-gun right out of the box. Fast cycling, reliable, soft recoil. After a couple boxes of heavy loads to break in it will eat the cheap WalterMart 1200fps loads without a problem.

Hi; thanks everyone for the advice. I can't wait to get home and get started. After looking through the forums I am really getting the fever. I agree that maybe I need to visit a few matches and see what everyone else is doing. I just don’t want to wait too long to buy the new shotgun since my wife may change her mind and not buy it. I will be home in December for two weeks of R&R leave. I will look at some of the suggested sites and see if any 3 Guns competitions are in the area and go from there.

If you want to take a small step before you spend some big bucks on a shotgun, you can pick up a used Mossy Riot gun for under $200, probably less than $150, ie a pump with a 8 round tube, that you can use for your first match or two. I am sure you will want to go the semi-auto route, but at least you would be out there shooting a match instead of just watching it.

Alternatively, I am sure there are some local shooters that would loan you a shotgun for a match.

Another possibility is to borrow a gun from friends. I would bet that my M1 Super 90 has more rounds fired-by-others than by me....

This will enable you to check out a couple of different options and see where you want to go before spending money. Some folks LOVE Benellis, some use SLPs, and others swear by their Remingtons. It's all a matter of personal taste and feel.

I don't know what part of Georgia you're gonna be in, but we have a few matches around and April should be prime-time for something at South River Gun Club in Covington (just east of ATL) or at East Alabama (just west of Columbus).

Opinion: Once FN gets the SLP Competition gun out on the market, that would be my choice. I bought my FN a couple of years too early and had to do some "parts changing" to make it into what the SLP-C is (namely, swapping out the barrel for the vent rib Invector Plus barrel).

Thanks; I have been thinking about it and will probably try a match or two with my 1100 or the Franchi, I don't mind a little hard use but since both are special I really don't want to modify them or over use them. I am not sure how handicapped I will be with the short magazine tube but it's just for fun. I live north of Gainesville so there should be plenty of opportunity in the area. I also travel around Ft Benning allot and I see matches are common in the Columbus area. I am blessed that I have family property and get to shoot all I want so I really think this will be a good activity to keep my boys interested as they get a little older. I really want them exposed to other shooters and techniques; anything to keep them interested and not get bored or complacent. I have a 9 and 11 year old and both are pretty good but more importantly they are both very safe. I have not seen any posts about youth 3 gun. Is this something that is not really appropriate or just not caught on. My wife says that the kids can't stop watching all of the you tube videos about 3 gun competitions.

• 2 weeks later...

The most ready to go out of the box for 3 gun is the FNH SLP. Already has extended mag tube from the factory. It even has a folding rear sight that can be sighted in for slugs. You can sometimes find the same gun used in the Winchester X2 Practical. They are identical and the parts are interchangeable. They are extremely reliable and only require a good cleaning every 3-400 rounds. The advice to shoot some 3 gun matches before buying anything is excellent advice. The people that shoot matches are awesome and most will be more than willing to let you try or use their equipment for the first few matches while you decide what you like. If you buy before you've been to a match you'll show up and find out that you should have bought different equipment. Just bring ammo and go try out a bunch of guns and equipment.

Thanks; this all great advice; I did look on line for the Winchester X2 Practical but have not had allot of luck, and I’m not sure I would be fast enough with a pump; I struggle trying to hit double clay targets with one. I also looked at new barrels and magazine extension for the 1100 and looks like I can get this for around $300.00. I may use the 1100 until I get my feet wet, I just don’t want to abuse it too much as it was my dad’s. Also on another note; before I deployed my wife let me purchase an Elacn 1 to 4 specter sight. When going through the rifle section in a 3 gun event do you have to switch from close to far targets quickly or do you have a little time? I saw on a video an AR that had a scope on top and a CCO on the side. The shooter would just turn the rifle to side to fire at the close targets. The Elcan has a lever that allows you to switch from 1 to 4x in a split second. Is the Elcan a good site for 3 gun and is it legal. I have not read anything about the Elcan or other similar sites being used. Also thanks again for everyone’s advice. You guys are like having a big brother that knows everything. Your advice will keep me from making a mistake and learning a lesson the hard way.

The Elcan is usable, but it puts you in a different category (Tactical Optics) rather than Limited.

Most of your local 3-Gun matches are shot on range bays that were designed for USPSA pistol matches, so the ranges vary from 3 yards out to 100 or so. If you still desire to use the Elcan, you can do it on 1X and not really worry about having to dial it up to 4X.

If you are shooting a stage that has close-and-fast combined with far-and/or-precise, any changes that you'd make to the scope are done on the clock. That is why just about everyone with a vari-power scope uses a "cat-tail" extended lever on the power ring that makes this change a simple flip.

What barrel is on the 1100? If it is a 22 to 24-inch, it would be perfect (especially if it is Rem-Choked). That way, all you'd need to buy is an extended mag tube, larger safety button, and a CompetitionMaster lifter to be competitive. You'd be out less than $100.

The 1100 with the add ons that you mentioned will work and get you started but if you want to preserve your Dad's gun 3 gun might not be the best way to do it. Haviang said that agian it will work.

You can mount a red dot on the rifle with a scope but it will put you in Open class. In that class magazine fed shotguns, dot sighted, compensated, high-cap Open guns and a rfiel set like you saw are the standard. Not saying don't do it just want you to know what your looking at.

The Elcan will work but once you shoot a couple of matches you can decide if it's the best scope for you, but it will get you started. On some stages you have time to switch if you need to there is usally some movement involed which will give you time. I run, and so do a lot of others, a "cat tail" on my scope that allows me to switch between powers for different shots in a stage

I would like to reinterate what some others have said. Go shoot a match or two. The folks that play in this sport are some of the Best folks in shooting today. They will help steer you, loan you gear, and just be generally informative. That way you can decide the direction you want to go. Take a look at the classifieds you can pick some great gear at a good price if you are in need of something.

Hope that helps, good luck and good shooting!

I know a couple of people that use the Elcan sight very effectively. I have played with one on a friend's rifle and like it. If I already had one, I sure wouldn't go buy something else to get started in 3gun with.

As far as shotguns go, you can find pretty good deals on used Benelli M1 super 90s with 26" vent rib barrels on gunbroker. A 24" gun would be more desireable, but they are harder to find. In my opinion, a 26" gun is not too long to use for 3gun. I can only remember one stage over the last few years where I thought my 24" Benelli Nova (I mainly shoot Heavy Metal) was too long.

Hurley

Thanks; this all great advice; I did look on line for the Winchester X2 Practical but have not had allot of luck, and I’m not sure I would be fast enough with a pump; I struggle trying to hit double clay targets with one. I also looked at new barrels and magazine extension for the 1100 and looks like I can get this for around $300.00. I may use the 1100 until I get my feet wet, I just don’t want to abuse it too much as it was my dad’s. Also on another note; before I deployed my wife let me purchase an Elacn 1 to 4 specter sight. When going through the rifle section in a 3 gun event do you have to switch from close to far targets quickly or do you have a little time? I saw on a video an AR that had a scope on top and a CCO on the side. The shooter would just turn the rifle to side to fire at the close targets. The Elcan has a lever that allows you to switch from 1 to 4x in a split second. Is the Elcan a good site for 3 gun and is it legal. I have not read anything about the Elcan or other similar sites being used. Also thanks again for everyone’s advice. You guys are like having a big brother that knows everything. Your advice will keep me from making a mistake and learning a lesson the hard way.

I think the Elcan would work great. Also, I don't know what shotgun barrel you have but unless its 30' long I wouldn't buy a different one. Just get an extended mag tube that will hold at least 8 and maybe 10 and you will be good to go. There are a bunch of pros running 26' barrels right now and even if you had a 28' it wouldn't cost you any time. Starting out 2-6 inches of barrel length aren't going to make any difference in your shooting or where you place. Save your money and buy ammo to practice with.

I think my barrel is 26" but I'm not sure about the choke. It is an all original out of the box 1100 Remington but the barrel seems a little thinner than some I have seen. I am only guessing but I think it was purchased around 1985 (does that sound right)? I go on leave in 6 days and will take a closer look when I get home. I agree about not using it too much and my wife has still agreed to buy a new gun for a welcome home present but that is not until April. I will have a chance to look around the WEB for used guns until then. I will definitely go to a few matches and get a firsthand look before I spend the money. As for the practice your right; my kids sent a picture of our back yard and it is now a skeet range with two throwers and a table. I think my leave plans have been made for me. Thanks again for of the advice. I can't wait to get home and get started.

Get On gun broker and buy a used M1. I have bought 5-6 of them for under $700 in the past year. Put an $80 Nordic components mag tube and send the gun to Accurate Iron to get the lifter welded, installed and tuned. Also have him tune the shell catch. That will run you under $200. You will have the most reliable and desirable shotgun in 3 gun for under $1000.

I personally know 6 experiences competitive shooters that started with the SLP and are now shooting an M1 or M2 Benelli. These are guys that know how to maintain their guns. Furthermore I don't know anybody that started with a Benelli and switched to an SLP.

The SLP is obviously an option for you because there are several people that use them and use them a lot. It's a great gun it just takes more maintenance and cleaning to keep them running 100%.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser