Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Popular AR bullets

latech15

I figure if you pay for nice bullets, you should pay for nice powder.

Save the milsurp for blaster ammo, YMMV. :cheers:

If you take the time to work up the most accurate load on your rifle does it really matter where the powder came from? If surplus powder and bullet loaded to whatever and reliable in your rifle is shooting a 1moa group at whatever distance does it matter that a non surplus powder and more expensive bullet shoots a .9 group out of your rifle?

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

It wouldn't be a huge difference but the only time I shoot commercial powder is for major matches anayway and one pound for $25 will carry me through six matches a year. I'll take every advantage I can get. :cheers:

55 gr hornady fmj over h335 for anything 200yds and under. After that I start using Hornaday's new 53gr V-Max. With it's .290 BC it's flatter and faster than the 60gr V-max and still has more energy out to even 500yds. I havn't done extensive testing with them, but they worked great for me at the Multi-Gun Nationals 375yd targets this year.

What is your load data for the 53 grian V max.

Pat

I loaded the 53s for the magazine at 2.250" worked up the load with H335, can't remember the charge right now, between 25 and 26gr but I was getting 3140 fps from my 18" barrel. Loaded just to where I could see the edge of the winchester SR primer start to flatten, but definitly no cratering, flow, or extreme flattening. I could probably have pushed it faster at the risk of a hotter round, but I wasn't sure what it would have done in NV and I was working it up last minute.

I bet your actual max is around 29 grains for that powder. Older manuals list 27.5 grains for H335 with 55s.

My load is 25 grains of H335 or WC-844 and a 55 grain M193 bullet.

Have you tried the WCC844 on the 75's? I have a couple k of the Prvi 75s that need to be loaded and that would be a good deal cheaper than Ramshot Tac, Varget or 2230.

I ordered 6 8lb jugs from Wideners. So I haven't tried it yet. To me WCC844 will be for downloaded close loads using 55's. Which makes up like 80%-90% of the ammo I use for 3 gun.

I've read that WCC844 is very temp sensitive. Good enough for me for close shots. But I prefer H4895 for my long range loads.

55 gr hornady fmj over h335 for anything 200yds and under. After that I start using Hornaday's new 53gr V-Max. With it's .290 BC it's flatter and faster than the 60gr V-max and still has more energy out to even 500yds. I havn't done extensive testing with them, but they worked great for me at the Multi-Gun Nationals 375yd targets this year.

What is your load data for the 53 grian V max.

Pat

I loaded the 53s for the magazine at 2.250" worked up the load with H335, can't remember the charge right now, between 25 and 26gr but I was getting 3140 fps from my 18" barrel. Loaded just to where I could see the edge of the winchester SR primer start to flatten, but definitly no cratering, flow, or extreme flattening. I could probably have pushed it faster at the risk of a hotter round, but I wasn't sure what it would have done in NV and I was working it up last minute.

I bet your actual max is around 29 grains for that powder. Older manuals list 27.5 grains for H335 with 55s.

My load is 25 grains of H335 or WC-844 and a 55 grain M193 bullet.

I suspect 29gr of H335 under the 53gr would be over pressure. A few years ago I worked up a varmint load of 28gr H335 under a 50gr V-Max, which was really hot. Flattened Winchester SR primers at home and pierced a few in the hot sun in the fields. This was through my Rem 700. I would stay away from loads that hot, my max I've worked up and use for 55gr is 26.0gr. I might go a little warmer than that to test and see where the limit is, but really you find the most accurate loads away from the max most times and the load I had fit my ballistic reticle well as is. No need for me to push it any more. I still have to do some fine accuracy testing though to find the sweet spot.

Here are the bullets that I have had good experiences with and could recommend.

Bulk bullets:

Midway’s Dogtown 55g HP (best value to performance ratio I have found. Accuracy is on par with a good premium bullet for half the cost)

Hornady 55g FMJ (good but not great accuracy – best of the 55g FMJ bulk bunch I have used and they are inexpensive)

Remington Power-Lokt 55g HP (accurate and used to be cheap, not so much anymore)

The most accurate premium bullets in my rifles for the 100 – 300 yard range are:

Speer 52g HP (big cookie cutter hollow point and some AR rifles don’t like to feed this bullet, but it is crazy accurate)

Sierra 52g Matchking hp

Hornady 60g V-max (I like this one a lot…actually, all of the V-max bullets I have tried are very good)

Sierra 69g matchking

Primarily use these with AA-2230 and AA-2520. I've dabbled with TAC and Varget, but keep coming back to the AA powders.

I love my Ar-15. Finding time to shoot it while managing my gun shop is a different story. Not much time to reload and shoot while working 7 days a week and having a family. Due to the price and quality I use Hornady Steel Match 75gr in my Rock River 1:8. It is a pretty good choice for factory ammo for the price IMHO.