Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open G17

buckaroo45

My Open G17 w/ SJC C More has ejection issues. I've had the port opened the recommended 1/10th, mucked about with recoil springs from 12 to 17 lb w/ no help. Still hangs one about every mag. I use 6.8 AutoComp w/ an MG 124jhp at 172 PF which the gun shoots REALLY accurately so I'm reluctant to mess with that too much. Don't want to invest another $2-300 in a slide mounted Doctor as the idea was a LOW cost Open gun. Any creative ideas?

Ron

TY63917

Edited by buckaroo45

I would probably talk to SJC? I don't know if you can tune a Glock ejector but that might be one approach. Are you using mixed brass or all one headstamp? If you are using mixed see if all the ones that hang up are the same? Nothing is impossible I guess. And I know you don't want to but, tweak you load a little. Maybe a little more or less pressure will alter the flight path of your brass.

It's my understanding that a Glock ejector pretty much is what it is but I'll do more research on it. The brass is once fired mixed but didn't think to look at headstamps. I'll put that on my list. I've talked to SJC, forgot the guys name, thot he was the owner, and he was real up front about the issue. That was before I lowered the port. I got the "shortie" mount from him and mounted my Trijicon MS03, like a DR,and voila' no more problem. Trouble is I moved the red dot to my 627 Open Steel gun and want to leave it there. WAAAY to much fun to shoot! I'd like to find a cure for this configuration. Like I said, the objective was a low cost Open gun. I'll wait to see what suggestions come in and do the suggestions in some sequence and report my findings back here. I figger somebody has to have confronted this before me.

Ron

TY63917

[disclaimer] If you try this on your gun and screw it up it is your fault. [/disclaimer]

I was having a similar problem with a Carver C-More mount on my Glock. There was a 1/16" groove in the bottom of the mount where brass was striking it. Used a dremel and removed metal to the bottom of the groove. Used a carbide cutter to lower the ejection port the recommended 1/10" + some. Removed the trigger mechanism housing and filed a flat on the inside bottom of the ejector at a 45 degree angle. [Knock on wood] Put 400 rounds through the gun without another jam.[Knock on wood] There is still a slight scratch mark on the bottom of the mount that looks like it might be from the mouth of the brass. YMMV

You may want to try an extended ejector and adding some tension on your extractor. I was having similar problems with my Open G17 and those seemed to help. Eventually I went with a micro dot mount and a delta point and its been good since.

My Open G17 w/ SJC C More has ejection issues. I've had the port opened the recommended 1/10th, mucked about with recoil springs from 12 to 17 lb w/ no help. Still hangs one about every mag. I use 6.8 AutoComp w/ an MG 124jhp at 172 PF which the gun shoots REALLY accurately so I'm reluctant to mess with that too much. Don't want to invest another $2-300 in a slide mounted Doctor as the idea was a LOW cost Open gun. Any creative ideas?

Ron

TY63917

This works for my SJC open 9 MAJOR.

1. Non LCI EXTRACTOR 9mm

2.White sound defence extractor assembly

3. Bobby Carver EXTENDED ejector

The first two parts can be obtained from glockparts.com

These parts will provide you with an improved extraction & ejection patern.

I'll move this to the Glock Forum, which traditionally gets better exposure for Glock issues. - Mod Team.

Why? Do you move 2011 based Open gun threads to the 1911-Style Pistols forum?

Not sure why an Open Glock is any less an open gun than a 2011.

Ron

TY63917

1. Non LCI EXTRACTOR 9mm

3. Bobby Carver EXTENDED ejector

The first two parts can be obtained from glockparts.com

These parts will provide you with an improved extraction & ejection patern.

+1 I also use a 10lb spring.

Ron

TY63917

Try a reduced spring. Odd things happen when you add weight and comps..etc. SJC has a 10lb spring for ~$12 that they put in their 9mm open guns. I had a similar issue with a limited gun, took the spring weight down and worked like a champ.

Steve

Ron

TY63917

I had a issue with my XDM. The cases were getting stuck between the bottom of the C-More and the slide. I lowered the ejection port to. I ended up putting a 3/16" Alum spacer under the C-More and that solved the problem.

Don

Edited by Bansheex

Haven't had much time to get any parts ordered but did happen to have a 12# spring so I plugged it in this afternoon and ran about 100 rounds thru. What a difference! Didn't have 1 FTE! Did have 4 that didn't go bang. Drew back the slide a bit, released it and it fired when I pulled the trigger. ??? Wish I had ckd the primer for lite strike but I'm REAL leary of rounds that don't go bang. It was sold to me as having a Barstow barrel but I've found several things the seller lied about so I can't be certain of that. Does have an SJC comp. Closest quality 'smith I have available is a 1911/2011 guru. He noted this barrel seemed "clunky" just before going into battery. I've had a 14-15-17 lb spring in it and it sometimes kinda hesitated just before going into battery. I remember having to smack the rear of the slide to help it finish the cycle a couple of times. Is there a fix for that? Best of my knowledge it has a standard striker spring if that means anything. I'm a revolver / 1911 type from way back and this is my first striker fired gun so I'm kinda like a blind dog in a meathouse. I figger there's something there but I'm having trouble making contact. :wacko:

Anyway, the symptoms have changed for the better with the lighter spring. I'll make a local gun show this weekend and see if I can pick up something lighter than 12#. Not much call for light G17 springs at the usual gun show tho. I'm guessing I'll need to order. I do question whether lighter springs can / will beat up the internals. Don't want to kill the gun. Any opinions on that topic?

Tell ya the truth, I love a good mystery and this is turning into one. :goof:

Ron

Try a lighter striker spring with a lightened striker, but your ammo needs to be very high quality and the primers need to be seated consistently deep, not easy unless you have a 1050. Or try federal SP primers, they work in my open glock but not everyone is comfortable with using them.

That's why I wish I had looked at the primer. Too late now. The load I use is done on a Dillon SDB, mixed once fired brass, WSR primers, 6.8 AutoComp and MG 124 HP at 1.15. Makes an extremely consistent 1375 FPS. Even with my 65 yr old eyes and hands I can double tap into a 6" square at 30'. As for the Federals, that's what I load for my revolvers. I try to shoot a lot of revo and it's gotten too labor intensive on my single stage Lee so I'm having Doug Carden at DC Ammo do the grunt work for me. If I have to get THAT exotic for this gun I'll probably let a younger man figger it out. Too many guns, so little time. :goof:

I think I'll run some factory 9mm thru it and see if I get a fail to fire. That'll tell me if it's my loads or something else.

The plot thickens ........

1. Non LCI EXTRACTOR 9mm

Where are these parts at glockparts.com? I can not find the links.

Click on catalog,then parts, then extractors. Scrool down to first and second page. WHITE SOUND DEFENCE EXTRACTOR DEPRESSOR ASS. Or use item search box. enter these # for each item.

SP00098

WS-00112

Edited by sweetback

re: my post of 11/23 above. 12# spring and remington factory 115's had 100% bang and 1 fail to eject. Hmmmm. It appears we're onto something here. I got sweetback's extractor recommendation on order. Thx for the #'s by the way. It gets kinda confusing for a non-'smith type to figger out what fits / goes where and does what. All I'm after is a gun that goes bang everytime. Maybe I should just give up my Carmonized revo's and this G17 Open ..............

Naaaaaaa! What's the fun in hitting the "easy" button? :goof:

Tune in same Bat time ..... same Bat channel .... for the next installment of

"OLD GUY CONFRONTS THE DARK SIDE" :sight: