Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

90 degree C-more mounts

9X23Guy

Alright, I'm looking at making the transition to a 90 degree C-more mount on my 2011 as a winter project. I'm looking for pics of different models available and your experience with them. I'm looking for three different angles, left side for the mount, right side for relation to the ejection port and the shooters view behind the gun mostly to see how low the optic is. I'm looking for the lowest possible dot height and I want to be able to run some kind of *thumb rest [generic]*. Thanks in advance.

Alright, I'm looking at making the transition to a 90 degree C-more mount on my 2011 as a winter project. I'm looking for pics of different models available and your experience with them. I'm looking for three different angles, left side for the mount, right side for relation to the ejection port and the shooters view behind the gun mostly to see how low the optic is. I'm looking for the lowest possible dot height and I want to be able to run some kind of *thumb rest [generic]*. Thanks in advance.

As Luke would say... "Use the search (force)"....

There are tons of pictures, there are three (ok, maybe 4 types)

- Matt Cheely

- Quinn II

- Barry

If you don't want to go sideways, but still want low to the bore, the 4th is the MCG/or DAA mount for the Aimpoint H1

Alan

The Quinn II and Cheely differ only in relation to the mounting position. The Quinn II the C-more sits at the back of the slide, the Cheely is a more forward mount about 1" more forward. The Quinn I was a more forward mount. You may use a thumb rest with either, my thumb rest came with longer screws, the Cheely mount is thicker where the screws go thru. The Cameron is like the Quinn I with forward mounting.

If you are running poppel holes or a shorty go with the Quinn II and its more rearward mount to keep the blast off the lens, other wise I like the forward mount as it clears up the back of the slide for racking without a racker.

Either one will give you a 3/4" POI over POA from 5 to 25 yards, no more aiming at the sky to make a head shot.

You are trying to slice the blogona too thin, its not that complicated.

Quinn 1 pic's http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=728 (note on shorty glass fogs by end of 32 round stage)

The Cheely Mount - http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=788

I don't have a Quinn II but the end of C-More sits at end of Slide. Check Manny Bragg's site for best deal on the Cheely.

Edited by CocoBolo

The Quinn II and Cheely differ only in relation to the mounting position. The Quinn II the C-more sits at the back of the slide, the Cheely is a more forward mount about 1" more forward. The Quinn I was a more forward mount. You may use a thumb rest with either, my thumb rest came with longer screws, the Cheely mount is thicker where the screws go thru. The Cameron is like the Quinn I with forward mounting.

If you are running poppel holes or a shorty go with the Quinn II and its more rearward mount to keep the blast off the lens, other wise I like the forward mount as it clears up the back of the slide for racking without a racker.

Either one will give you a 3/4" POI over POA from 5 to 25 yards, no more aiming at the sky to make a head shot.

You are trying to slice the blogona too thin, its not that complicated.

Quinn 1 pic's http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=728 (note on shorty glass fogs by end of 32 round stage)

The Cheely Mount - http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=788

I don't have a Quinn II but the end of C-More sits at end of Slide. Check Manny Bragg's site for best deal on the Cheely.

There are other gross differences between the Cheely mount and either the Quinn or the Cameron. Matt has his mount built out of 7075 aluminum whereas the others are a softer more machineable aluminum. I shot the QII for about 3 months and then when to one of Matts mounts, it greatly effected the dot movement - same load, same gun, due to the mount being *stiffer*....

Don't let anyone tell you that the mount doesn't *flex*, there are lots of video's that show exactly what happens.

I will tell you this however.

*unless* you plan on shooting iron and open back to back... I don't think I'm going to spend any more time with a 90 degree mount.

There are 2 major things you have to account for.

- The cmore hinge is placed at 90 degrees to it's hinge function - that function is NOT just for windage(height) adjustment, it's also to dampen the dot movement as the scope/mount flexes... when it's in its 90 degree position, it causes a *twisting* motion in the dot and you'll always end up with a little figure 8 motion to the dot track.

- there is quite a bit of mass on the left side of the gun from the mount/scope, you get used to it, but it does block transitions from left to right. I've let numerous GM's look at my gun and they all noted that issue up front and also noted that they could *feel* the mass wanting to pivot the gun to the left. I'm sure this later is mostly mental as it presents a feeling of the gun being aligned more to the left, but if they can detect it, it's probably not a good thing for an open shooter to have to deal with

The one disadvantage to the over the top mount is the offset, it's approx 1.5" and if you shoot a target that is oh say 2-5 yards away, and it has any kind of cover or NS protecting it, you'll have to account for that.

I've now shot open for 1 year straight with a 90 and I'm done with it... I'm going to back to an over the top mount for the items listed above. I can notice the pattern in the dot track that is mount related and I notice that my splits lag when I make transitions into the scope as opposed to away from it.

But Open is very *shooter unique* so pick your poison.... HOWEVER, do not think that option A vs. B is going to make you a better shooter.... it simply doesn't prove out with fact. Practice makes you a better shooter plain and simple... or should I say Practice with what you bought to the game, makes you a better shooter :)...

To help with my experience level... I started shooting open in the spring of 2010 as a C class limited shooter, I shot open all of 2010, until the fall when I made B class, I then switched to single stack as I was going to go to the single stack nationals this year, but work got in the way... I didn't shoot much open the first half of 2011, but I had however worked my way to 74.9% in open, but still as a B class.... in Sept, I picked back up the open gun full time and as luck would have it made A class 30 days later. My shooting experience is now to the point where I'm working on refinement skills in an effort to speed up and improve accuracy...

Anyway, good luck with what you are looking for... I may have a few Cheely mounts for sale soon.... we'll see :)

Alan

Edited by Alan Adamson

I have used the Quinn mounts - a 1 and a 2.

I ran them on my 2011 guns in 9x19 and found it cured all the ejection issues. That made me very happy. :)

I did not find any major problems with them as far as balance, slide racking, transitions, etc.

I'm an Open Only shooter so I was never concerned with going back and forth between different platforms but I was told from some that shoot both Limited & Open it made the transition easier.

I've been shootng sideways for 2 1/2 years, I've not noticed any difference in the Quinn or Cheely as far as dot movement. This could be because my guns shoot soft, or my eyes are not fast enough to catch it. I went sideways because after 6 months of trying to find the dot I was done with the upright. Splits don't mater if you are spending all your time doing the C-more shuffle.

I've been trying to shoot a little production lately, I don't think the sideways helps much for transition, I found I was shooting about 4" high all the time, I let a regular Iron sight shooter shoot the gun and the hits were perfect, the cure was to lower my head, this seemed easier than adjusting my index (hand). Jumping back to open, just feels like going home and its all good.

By the way after shooting the sideways for years, I can pickup an upright and find the dot.

That is good info about the mount maybe changing the balance of the gun one way or the other or the dot tracking funny. I shoot both limited and open but open for all of the big matches. I go back and forth until a few weeks out from a big match and then stick to open only to make sure my timing and trigger control for that gun is on. I have been shooting with the upright mount for a year now and have done well with it. I placed first in open and third overall in the Alaska State Multi Gun Match this year. I did this because of trigger time this year and good shooters to shoot against and help me out. I'm learning and improving at a very, very fast pace. I'm not looking for a piece of equipment to buy my way to the next level but this is one thing that has always bother me about my setup. I can shoot my limited gun faster up close because I can just index the gun on the target and hammer it. I can do this because I see the slide and a flash sight picture of the front sight and let it go. With my open gun there is too much stuff in the way to actually "see" the gun. I shoot with my head up the same way with both but I just hold the gun and different heights. Another thing about limited is I feel like I can shoot so fast up close because I control the recoil better too. With my limited gun I can really get behind the gun with my shoulders and with my open gun I feel it's too low to do that as well as I can with a limited gun. I really appreciate the feedback because I really thought the 90 degree was the may to go for me. Now I think that I might really look into that aimpoint H1. I'm curious to see how it looks and goes for those of you shooting it. Until then it's more rounds down range for me.

That is good info about the mount maybe changing the balance of the gun one way or the other or the dot tracking funny. I shoot both limited and open but open for all of the big matches. I go back and forth until a few weeks out from a big match and then stick to open only to make sure my timing and trigger control for that gun is on. I have been shooting with the upright mount for a year now and have done well with it. I placed first in open and third overall in the Alaska State Multi Gun Match this year. I did this because of trigger time this year and good shooters to shoot against and help me out. I'm learning and improving at a very, very fast pace. I'm not looking for a piece of equipment to buy my way to the next level but this is one thing that has always bother me about my setup. I can shoot my limited gun faster up close because I can just index the gun on the target and hammer it. I can do this because I see the slide and a flash sight picture of the front sight and let it go. With my open gun there is too much stuff in the way to actually "see" the gun. I shoot with my head up the same way with both but I just hold the gun and different heights. Another thing about limited is I feel like I can shoot so fast up close because I control the recoil better too. With my limited gun I can really get behind the gun with my shoulders and with my open gun I feel it's too low to do that as well as I can with a limited gun. I really appreciate the feedback because I really thought the 90 degree was the may to go for me. Now I think that I might really look into that aimpoint H1. I'm curious to see how it looks and goes for those of you shooting it. Until then it's more rounds down range for me.

see http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=139486&view=findpost&p=1568889 for my trials and tribulations :)...

Alan

I tried all available 90 deg mounts, and without ANY doubts I preferred the Cameron one by a LONG shot. Especially if you are using one of the more upright thumb rests. Then the Cameron is the only one with sufficient head space for your thumb. All others make you bump your thumb into them all the time. Here is a picture of Cameron with custom made rest. This combo has more space for your thumb than you will ever need.

post-21305-0-18625600-1320765267_thumb.j

Edited by Foxbat

I would love to shoot a 90 degree mount for myself but there isn't a single open guy in Alaska that I know who uses one and I've shot with most of them. The Cameron and a really low micro aimpoint are the most interesting to me right now. I love the window and dot on a cmore its just a question of what to do with the body of it. The mount that BJ Norris is using for his micro dot is pretty low too. I just looked at his web page last night.

I would love to shoot a 90 degree mount for myself but there isn't a single open guy in Alaska that I know who uses one and I've shot with most of them.

Well, you buy the mount and in half an hour you can be shooting with it. Then, should you decide it is not for you, another half an hour, and you sell your mount on CLassified for 70-80% of what you paid.

So for, say, twenty bucks, you find out your answer. Sounds pretty moderate to me.

Hello: I just looked at the Shooters Connection site and they also have a 90 degree mount by Allchin called the "X" mount I think. I have used the Quinn and the Quinn II and I liked the Quinn II better because it gives better balance for me on a shorty. I tried the Quinn on a shorty and it covered the lens with crap. I then tried the Quinn II and that problem went away. I now shoot full size pistols and may try the Cameron's or Cheely mount to see if they work any better for me moving the weight more forward. I would try one and see what may work for you. Thanks, Eric

I am currently shooting the Quinn II mount on my Limcat 9x19 and the Cheely mount on my Cheely 9x19 open gun. I cannot tell the difference between the two with regards to dot tracking or gun balance. I do not notice a problem when shooting right to left maybe because I shoot with both eyes open. Both monts put the C-More as low as possible to the barrel. Any lower and the body of the C-More would rub on the slide. The Racers Cut Thumbrest available from Shooters Connection works great with both mounts and comes with longer screws to mount it thru the scope mount holes.

I tried the top mount C-More when I first got my Limcat and switched back to the Quinn II within the first two weeks. My dot stays in the glass and does not make any wierd moves just straight up and down. Both of my guns shoot extremely flat and soft. With the verticle mounts the dot is always right there.

• 3 weeks later...

After a lot of experimenting I found the Burkett mount to be my choice. I run an SV IMM 38SC, with 3 popple holes, the Quinn mount and the Cameron mounts were both too far forward and I ruined the glass.

I also have the Burkett mount on my backup gun that has 4 popple holes and it moves the glass far enough back. I have the Cameron one on my non-hybrid gun and could tell it wouldn't work with the hybrid barrel. Both in 38Super.