Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suicide

Phil Dunlop

Yeah...it is definately the "why" part that gets you.  One of my closest friends, almost a brother, did it in 1998, no note, nothing.  I still wake up at night wondering "why" now and then.

Yes, it probably stems from mental illness...which makes this all the more sad because the majority of these cases can be helped but too many insurance companies won't cover it well enough and the stigma that society places on mental illness keeps too many from seeking help.

• 1 year later...

I'm with you, but it may be hard to understand if you're not in their shoes, still hard to take:

Mitchell Elbert Shimmin

August 31, 1967- August 17, 2004

Born in Salem. He went to Salem Schools and graduated from George Fox University.

He is survived by his wife Jacqui and his children Alec, Bridgitt, and Chloe. Mitch also had two sisters Debra& Vicky and a brother Christopher.

Mitch was a childhood friend of mine that lived across the street. He was a couple of years younger than me, but like all kids in the neighborhood we did a lot of stuff together. Rest in Peace Mitch, I'll miss you. :(

it is very hard...had a pal in college, very well off, pretty wife and beautiful little girl, use to play golf together...asked him one friday if we were on for tomorrow...thought a minute and told me, he couldn't make it....had something else to do...

still don't know the why...

I'm with you I hate it.......being L.E. I have to see it and deal with the people they leave behind wondering why. It appears from my point of view to be very selfish. I recently saved a guy's life who was trying to kill himself with plastic cables ties cinched around his neck and he wasn't breathing. Although he wasn't appreciative at the time his family including two small children were. With so mental health counseling..................at last check he is doing well.

Hate suicides - leave the rest of the world with your prob's...

Had a guy at the club, american married to local german girl, two kids...worked in sudan/etheopia...did his thing in irak (clearing mines and teach the locals how to...), came back, happy as ever...fixed his norico .45 nicely...shot a match...went home...shot himself couple of days later...

THIS SUCKS....

Next door neighbor did it last week, history of depression, got fired last year & hasn't worked since, wife left because he quit talking to her. The worst thing is that he did it in the house and was found by his teenage daughter.

I am always saddened, angered and ultimately bewildered by suicide, especially among the young. As a LEO I saw far to many friends, co-workers and strangers take this step. We understand better the workings of depression and mental illness these days but there is clearly not much ordinary citizens or good friends can do to help.

The single most striking feature I observed is the unusual resolve and purpose that many of these lost souls exhibit during their last hours. Generally it is not a spontaneous gesture but a clearly calculated endeavor. The horrors that they inflicted on themselves are almost unimaginable. Seeing their ravaged remains always makes me wonder: What if they had worked that hard at living?

geezer

I've never understood the massive ego it must take to end one's own life. Physical life is so short to begin with. Yes, there is pain, lonelyness, fear, all that stuff. But everyone has it, and it only becomes unbearable when we allow the mind to rule over the spirit, instead of the other way around.

Yes, the body and mind die. But, the soul does not. And what if the soul had to exist in an eternal state of suicide? What a horrible thought.

Our spirit or soul is eternal and is therefore, not subject to physical limitations such as time and space. This is why "time out of mind", like total absorption in shooting or climbing is so satisfying. We experience life in the "eternal present" for a while. When the spirit controls our existence, joy, peace, and love overcome the pain, anger, and hate in our lives.

Ever notice how the people who seemingly have "everthing going for them" are the ones who punch out? So, it isn't about money, or power, or fame. These are all the rewards of the mind set on the flesh and they cannot satisfy the spirit. Seek the spiritual things first, and the other stuff will take care of itself. ;)

Understanding depression and other mental illnesses is the key to understanding suicide. As a society we do not admit that mental illness is just as bad, if not worse, than many physical ailments.

Mental illness is akin to a cancer that cannot be found using a CAT scan, MRI, etc. Mental illness ***CAN*** be diagnosed and treated but something less than 20% of the population that has health care also have mental health care. NPR has been doing a series on depression this week and the stats that they quoted were sobering.

I have an uncle who at one time I was very close to. I am sure that there are several people here who know him, or at least know of him. He was active in PPC and IPSC 20 years ago and did fairly well, especially in PPC.

He is bi-polar and refuses to enter into treatment (very common for this condition). He has estranged himself from his family and friends and is basically a hermit. He goes grocery shopping late at night and other than that never leaves his home. Anyone approaching his front door is met with a shotgun. It is incredibly sad and not a little dangerous. Local law enforcement refuses to do anything.

However, his children are not willing to admit that he has a disease which can be cured and have him committed for treatment. They won't even try to talk to him about it.

These are the same people who scoured the earth looking for treatment options when their mother was dying of breast cancer a few years ago.

I am virtually sure that one of these days I will get a phonecall and have to go to another funeral for another victim of suicide.

Never be so arrogant to think that depression can't happen to you.

As a society we do not admit that mental illness is just as bad, if not worse, than many physical ailments.

I fully agree, Kimel. And sadly, I think it's alot more common too. And it's nobody's fault. Worry and anger over past ghosts and future demons eventually changes the chemistry of the brain and the brain gets fried. There is no more important problem facing us today, than this.

I am very sorry for the situation your Uncle is in.