Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Build Questions - safety, slide lock, trigger pull

Chip_E

I've been shooting Production, but the wifEy decided it's time to try Open division. Yeah, I know I'm lucky to get a demand like that...instead of having to get permission.

Anyway, we ordered his & hers Limcats. Now it's time for the personalization part. I'm thinking the pinned grip safety is good, but I'm not sure about the pinned slide lock.

I'm used to having the slide lock open to remind me to put in more ammo (wifEy's better at counting while shooting, and usually loads before going to slide lock).

Also, what's a good trigger pull weight for a noob?

Thanks.

- chip

Chip,

Great questions.

1. Lucky man!

2. If you feel you want a working slide stop, request it.

I shoot open and disabled the slide stop because of the nature of competition Open pistols. If for personal protection pistol or other divisions, such as Production, these points may not apply:

• It eliminates any possiblilty the Open pistol will inadvertantly go to slide lock when still have rounds in magazine
  • IF you run dry, I've had issues of jamming magazine too high and causing a mean nosedive situation. I rather have the pistol in battery when empty then charge with full magazine.

You will enjoy your LIMCAT'S Great guns If you decide to get back up ones, look up http://akaicustomguns.com/

3. Most open pistols are about 2# or so.

4. Practice, and become very familiar with your gear.

5. Enjoy the sport and share with your friends.

I used to shoot production and I liked to have my pistol go to slide lock also. I could slam a magazine in quick and was ready to go, but when I started shooting 1911'a and 2011's the quick magazine slam did not always work. Sometimes the mag would go to far and ruin my time on a stage.

My open gun magazines have a lot of rounds, more than I am capable of counting. I look at the round count of a stage and hold a small number in my head of how many extra shots I can take without running out. Example: stage round count is 26 and I start taking a couple of extra shots, I know I need to make a reload.

My trigger is at 1.5#. I have always liked it light. My gun has never fired without my finger on the trigger and my finger should not be on the trigger unless I'm on target, so a light trigger is not an issue for me.

Thanks so much for 3 very educational and compelling replies. Slide lock gets pinned/deactivated for sure. Trigger at 1.5lbs

AZ, like you, I'm not great at counting rounds. I kind of do what you do though....have a plan, and a backup plan.

I have a plan for "where" on the stage I need to make my reloads (ie exiting the 2nd array). If I take extra shots, my backup would be to reload exiting the 1st array.

For me, it's easier that way, and usually keeps me from going to slide lock.

I would suggest you disable your slide stop. My 9mm and .38 super open guns had a strange tendency of locking open with 1 or 2 rounds left in the mags. Grinding a detent in the slide stop, ended this, but you can still lock the slide open (when inspecting, cleaning, etc.)

Johnny Lim builds great guns. His trigger is about 1.5 lbs and really clean and crisp.

Z

Trigger at 1.5lbs

You might want to try someone's gun with a very light trigger -

especially coming from Production - I run my gun closer to

3 lbs - have talked to some people who had their triggers really

lightened, and they didn't like it at all - too light for them,

also.

Try it before you go for such a light trigger - you might love it,

and you might not.

Good luck,

Jack

My open gun is at 1.5lbs also and love it, but it’s probably best to go that way in increments. Maybe have Mr. Lim provide 2 sear springs, one set at 2.5lbs and the other set at 1.5lbs.

That's good advise, and inexpensive too!

My open gun is at 1.5lbs also and love it, but it’s probably best to go that way in increments. Maybe have Mr. Lim provide 2 sear springs, one set at 2.5lbs and the other set at 1.5lbs.

One of my local club open gurus is saying the same thing...start at 2.5lbs. I think I'll try to shoot a couple of different triggers before I decide.

I know it's the right way to go, but a 2.5lb trigger sounds like putting training wheels on a Ducati Superbike.

Thanks for the idea of getting 2 sear springs.

Edited by Chip_E

Just got my new Limcat last week. Pinned grip safety, deactivted slide stop and 1.5 lb trigger. You plan sounds real good to me for some reason. Go with it.

Very cool Jax. We have to wait at least until Feb for delivery. Talk about an itchy trigger finger...

Measure your trigger pull on your production gun and also notice how long it is. the 2011 is a lot shorter take up so a light trigger coming from production could actually be counter productive. My open guns are around 2.25 my limited guns around 2 3/4 and my production is a little north of 3.5. Going below 2lb. just didn't not work for me, it was as if I didn't feel enough trigger before the shot broke. I like to feel the wall before it breaks especially while transitioning between targets in an array. Definitely pin the grip safety as you mentioned. These guys also covered the slide lock issue pretty well, for me JHP's would hit the slide stop and lock the gun open, same thing with swc in my limited gun.

When Kodiak Precision built my first custom SV, Don asked what I wanted for a trigger weight. I waferred around with around 2.5. Later reduced it to sub 2.

A light trigger is nothing to be afraid of.

I wish I did it sooner.

You will adapt to whatever weight you get. I would recommend lighter.

A light trigger depends on how experienced you are an how much time you spend on the gun. I usually tell people that if they are not dry firing at least 3 times a week, don't go under 2#. I would say start at 2.5-3# until you get some time on it and ten look at reducing it.