Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Bill Drill

Hey QuicksDraw!

I read that it should be done in 1.5. You guys make me sick! :P

Open gun, 6 yards, 6 shots.

I knocked on the door at 1.67 a bunch of times. But that's it, That's all I got. Fini. End of story. Best first shot was .81, most where .84 to 1.1. <_<

I hate the wall that is preventing me from pulling the trigger with more consistency. I have been trying the short trigger insert. At about the fourth shot I'm starting to tense up, balk the trigger, hence slow down.

I will install a regular insert tonight and try again tommorow. I will relax and let things happen but I refuse to be the guy that sucks! :angry:

I have never even come close to that and I don't care. I reckon a person could never shoot a 1.5 Bill Drill and still be in the Top 16.

Easily.

I think fast Bill Drills are more of an Ego-trip/boost than anything else, which is fine. Of course, it can also be a great learning tool. The question to me would be: "why do I want to shoot a 1.5s Bill Drill?"

I'd rather be able to do 1.67 consistently (BTW, 1.67 is smokin' bro), then to pull off a 1.49 once.

You know there's something to be said for repeatability.

If I've ever shot a 1.5 bill drill - I don't remember it. The other day I was out and shot 3 bill drills - they averaged around 1.7 or 1.8 - no biggie. I don't feel any less competent because I can't do a 1.5 bill drill.

If a Bill Drill were a stage, and a shooter ripped a 1.5 down 1 point then you get up there and calmly post a 1.75 no points down you've lost exactly 3.4 match points as a result of your "poor" performance. If Mr. 1.5 hangs it out on all stages like that - guaranteed he'll have a miss or two during the match - you can pick up those 20 or 30 points then ;)

I needed this post to relate back to my reloading post. I definitly need to work on that component of my game - but its not the end of the world. Just like your 1.7 Bill Drills. ;)

JB

What?! After years I finally did a no-points-down Bill Drill under the 2.0 second par time and you're going to pull the rug out from under me and tell me the par time is 1.5 ?!?
:o:o

Erik,

EXACTLY! I come in from a doing a couple of sub second (1.96 and 1.97) I’m flying on cloud nine, and then I read THIS thread. :(

Spook and j1b,

Thanks for the encouragement and the help in keeping it in perspective! :)

Ed

O.K. Today I shot closer to my true abilities, mid two’s.

I look at me shooting a 1.5 a challenge akin to me finishing a marathon, once done, I need never do it again. But I would like to have done it, just to have climbed that mountain, nothing more.

Then I will find something else stupid to fixate upon.

First time I've shot a Bill Drill in practice for a couple years..... just a couple days ago. Just did one, it was 2.28 all A's in the size of a softball - Limited - I about flipped out, thought it was a pretty good run B)

Now I see I have more work to do - just to get sub 2.0, much less 1.5 <_<

For me, gonna have to "jump" the timer to get any where 1.5 I'm guessing.

i could do 1.8 on a limited gun consistenly at a pf of 172. when i loaded to 180 pf (new stupid experiment) i could not bring it down to 2 seconds. it takes forever for the sight to drop. now ill load back to 172. never had a 1.5......yet.

My first try a year ago was 2.5s and i was realy chuffed.

It then became a routine of my weekly range practice.

Two months ago i was averaging 1.8 s all As now its down to 1.75.

The bill drill realy helps me with staying relaxed after the beep, when im not relaxed it shows on the timer , all sorts of problems, bad draws trigger freeze etc.

I have another drill i do which i call the walk down, i use this drill to practice my walking and shooting , the reload on the move and most importantly how my sight rises and returns.

Method

Two full mags start CLH HAS at 20 yards one target.

On signal draw and shoot as fast as possible whilst walking towards the target reload when nessesary and finish up almost on top of the target.

Try and keep them all A's and you can pick up the speed of your walk as you are able to keep the shots on.

"The Determinator" was having trouble with swingers at some point in the past. So, he built one for...dry-fire. He'd dry-fire Bill Drills on it. I'm sure he did some live-fire at the range, as well.