Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does one have to be a RO to run a squad

Please bear with me as I am new to USPSA shooting. We had a situation where we started with 2 RO's. In the middle of the match one of them had to leave,leaving the one to run the rest of the match. I ended up as scorekeeper. I felt that the one RO that ran the rest of the match did not have time to prepare and it affected his shooting. I wanted to do what I could, but as I am not certified, I did what I thought I could and scored.

Afterwards we saw the MD and told him what happened. According to him, in the level 1 matches, anyone can run the timer. I thought the answer was kinda strange as the person has to know the rules and how to apply them.

So does one have to be an RO to run a squad?

Please bear with me as I am new to USPSA shooting. We had a situation where we started with 2 RO's. In the middle of the match one of them had to leave,leaving the one to run the rest of the match. I ended up as scorekeeper. I felt that the one RO that ran the rest of the match did not have time to prepare and it affected his shooting. I wanted to do what I could, but as I am not certified, I did what I thought I could and scored.

Afterwards we saw the MD and told him what happened. According to him, in the level 1 matches, anyone can run the timer. I thought the answer was kinda strange as the person has to know the rules and how to apply them.

Both certified CRO's and RO's (one per stage/squad) is recommended, not mandatory. We often have non-certified people run the timer at our matches with certified ROs supervising. It's an excellent learning experience, and as long as there is an experienced RO there, should be fine.

Technically he is right.

Level I — Club matches conducted on a scheduled basis throughout the year.

Level II — Sectional or State matches conducted on an annual basis.

Level III — Annual championship matches conducted by USPSA Areas (1 - 8).

Nationals — Annual USPSA championship matches.

Note: Major matches conducted on an irregular or annual basis and which

do not represent a specific Section, State, or Area championship shall request

either Level II or Level III sanctioning.

Key: N/A = Not Applicable, R = Recommended, M = Mandatory

Match Level: I II III Nationals

1. Must follow current USPSA rules M M M M

Competitors must be USPSA members

(Section 6.4)

R M M M

3. Match Director M M M M

4. Range Master (certified or appointed) M M M M

5. Certified Range Master N/A R M M

6. Range Master approved by Area Director N/A R M N/A

7. Range Master approved by NROI N/A R M M

8. Certified Chief Range Officer(s) R R M M

Minimum one Certified NROI official per

stage

R M M M

10. COF approval by NROI R M M M

11. COF submitted to Area Director N/A M M N/A

12. NROI Sanctioning N/A M M M

13. Chronograph R R M M

14. 1-month advance registration w/NROI N/A M N/A N/A

15. 2-month advance registration w/NROI N/A N/A M N/A

16. Inclusion in USPSA Match Calendar N/A M M M

17. Post match reports to USPSA N/A M M N/A

18. Recommended minimum rounds 28 75 150 150

19. Recommended minimum stages 2 5 8 8

20. Recommended minimum competitors 10 50 120 120

21. Classifier stages allowed

(1)

1 (2)

1 2

Certified RO is only recommended for level one. Not mandatory.

Page 54 Appendix A1.

First off, thanks to you for stepping up and trying to keep the squad moving. As a newer-to-us shooter, I know that can be a daunting task. I have some past experience. :rolleyes:

Scorekeepimg is a task that many don't recognize as an "RO Function" and blow it off as meaningless. They simply don't get it. It has a huge effect on the outcome of the match and merits attention. In fact, while it is the more silent function of RO'ing, it can be the most important.

I wish I could say something more sympathetic about the score your RO posted, but because he decided to help his squad instead of focusing on his own performance, I don't doubt he knows where the real reward is.

Scorekeepimg is a task that many don't recognize as an "RO Function" and blow it off as meaningless. They simply don't get it. It has a huge effect on the outcome of the match and merits attention. In fact, while it is the more silent function of RO'ing, it can be the most important.

Agree 100%. In my RO course, the guy with the scoresheet was referred to as the off-side RO. His job is to watch for all the things the RO with the timer might miss by focusing on the gun, like foot faults, 11 round mags in production, etc.

I highly recommend the RO class for anyone who takes this game seriously, even if you don't plan to RO regularly. Knowing the rules will probably save your bacon in a match at some point, so it's definitely worth giving up a weekend of practice time or a club match to learn them.

It can be scary the first few times you run the timer.

What I've done in the past is volunteer to let inexperienced folks run me at local matches. As we go through the range commands I make any reinforcements necessary, explain what they should be looking for (not just saying the words), explain my plan (including the best position for the RO), etc. At a local match there is no corvette on the line, so I don't mind doing this. After my run we talk about what went right, what didn't, and so on.

The folks appreciate that they get the "pressure" of doing it at a match, but with someone who will be tolerant if they are not perfect. It really doesn't add much time to the stage, and the payoff is tremendous. It's fun to watch as they gain confidence and start taking control. Pretty soon you have someone with the confidence to attend an RO course. Now you have another "real" RO who will hopefully mentor someone else......

Just something I enjoy doing. It's a way of honoring those who have helped me in the past.

Reality is some clubs do not have enough ROs.

Stepping up and doing it is a big kudo for yourself. Congrats for taking it on.

We have a great number of people who are not certified ROs running stages from the clock to the stats. It works fine for us because we have many experienced shooters as well as ROs. Most of us take turns running the clock or palm so everyone has a chance to prepare for the stage.

Download the book and read, then read it again.

Good job!

We have a great number of people who are not certified ROs running stages from the clock to the stats. It works fine for us because we have many experienced shooters as well as ROs. Most of us take turns running the clock or palm so everyone has a chance to prepare for the stage.

+1. Sometimes people used to be certified, then just didn't recert. The squad I typically shoot with has all shooters with years and years of experience. But, maybe 1 certified RO. I am newly certified and learned a GREAT deal about scorekeeper responsibilities during the RO class...besides getting the hits marked down correctly.

Download the book and read, then read it again.

+1 on this, too. A year or so ago I read the book twice. Read it again after the course for the test.

Edited by remoandiris

Reality is some clubs do not have enough ROs.

Took the words out of my mouth.

You can never be sure from month to month who is going to be there - you work with what you have. We have some guys that are not USPSA RO's that have been RO'ing for years. But that is not without a few drawbacks. First and foremost, rules change and the RO's need to be up to date with what's current.

The scorekeeper is another issue. As was pointed out, technically they should be going right along with the RO and the shooter and watching for things like procedurals or safety issues that the RO may not be able to see. But, with many local matches, time is the enemy so the scorekeeper is often scoring as the shooter shoots and tapers are right behind him/her.

As a new MD, I've been spending some time watching different squads and it has been an eye opening experience I can tell you. I'm not sure exactly how to approach this, but some of the ROs need some training. Hard to do when everyone is "just helping out as best as they can".

As a new MD, I've been spending some time watching different squads and it has been an eye opening experience I can tell you. I'm not sure exactly how to approach this, but some of the ROs need some training. Hard to do when everyone is "just helping out as best as they can".

uh oh, hope he's not talking about me :surprise::goof:

An aside, but slightly related:

At a bigger than usual match locally I was shooting for some bragging rights. On the classifier stage a younger man who had not run the timer yet, volunteered. He gave the proper commands, started the timer and I burned down the first string... fast and all As... then I head the timer go beep again.

He pressed the start button again. It was a Pocket Pro II so it was gone.

I rather testily asked a certified RO to take over the timer.

I realized on the next stage this was a learning opportunity for him and a growth opportunity for me. So I had him run almost all shooters on the next stage. "Just don't push the start button but once," I advised him. I coached him through a few of the tougher scoring calls.

He did well and I hope he picked up confidence running the timer and that I made up for my icy request he be replaced on the previous stage.