Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flip up front & rear sights for AR-15

Puma

I am an inexperienced AR-15 shooter-newbie............Would like to have suggestions as to which flip up/down sights are best to install on AR 15 to have as backup for EOtech. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I use a YHM rear flip up and a standard mil-spec front sight (the one attached to the gas block) on my Eotech set-up. You can flip the rear up and co-wtness for longer range shots or keep it down and ignore the front sight for close stuff. I advise a smaller diameter post for the front sight.

Is the front sight going to be for your gas block or on a standard rail?

Mine's a low profile gas block so I use a Midwest Industries low profile front flip sight (HK Style front sight). I have a Magpul MBUIS2 rear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm just starting in 3G, and not serious about it yet, so I have the YHM flip front sight and the MagPul MBUIS2 rear. I had to get rid of the std FS/GB for my 1x-4x optic, anway, so why not replace with a folding sight? My rear BUIS is located underneath the scope, so I'd have to flip the QR levers to get the scope out of the way to deploy the iron sights. The plan is to not use the irons, but they do stay out of the way and are there if I do need them for some reason. My thinking was that if the scope craps out, the backup irons will allow me to finish the match.

Matech rear and a gas block front of your choice... gets more sight radius than a rail mounted front and doesn't have the accuracy problem of a hand guard mounted front.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/avs%7cManufacturer_1=MATECH/Products/MATECH

jj

That is with the assumption that the rail is shorter than the gas block. My rail is 13" from Seekins so I doubt with a mid gas system it would be better to shorten the rail and go with a shorter sight radius.

Matech rear and a gas block front of your choice... gets more sight radius than a rail mounted front and doesn't have the accuracy problem of a hand guard mounted front.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/avs%7cManufacturer_1=MATECH/Products/MATECH

jj

That is with the assumption that the rail is shorter than the gas block. My rail is 13" from Seekins so I doubt with a mid gas system it would be better to shorten the rail and go with a shorter sight radius.

Actually, I mean a clamp on front right behind the comp, either a dedicated clamp on or a 2nd gas block with front sight. Maximize the sight radius, AND avoid the any problems with zero changing on a handguard mounted front.

.jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

jj

Actually, I mean a clamp on front right behind the comp, either a dedicated clamp on or a 2nd gas block with front sight. Maximize the sight radius, AND avoid the any problems with zero changing on a handguard mounted front.

.jj

Makes sense....Both which you mentioned above would work great, and does work great!