Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting Ready to start shooting Open

RDunn

IMO, the best way to shoot Open is to NOTICE the dot

not SEE the dot.

Works for me. I often notice that I can't see the dot!

But in regards to dot size I am still leaning towards wanting to drop to a 6 from an 8.

IMO, the best way to shoot Open is to NOTICE the dot

not SEE the dot.

Works for me. I often notice that I can't see the dot!

But in regards to dot size I am still leaning towards wanting to drop to a 6 from an 8.

Kevin,

I'll trade you a used 6moa for a used 8moa? PM me if you're interested.

This is a subtle difference, but you *must* learn it... DO NOT *push* the dot to the desired point of impact watching the dot the entire way.... DO *pull* the dot to the desired point of impact watching the point of impact and bring the dot to it.

The best way to practice this... 2 targets at 45 degrees to the shooter and 10-15yrds away. Start at low ready (you can go to a draw start later), snap your eyes to the target, focus on where you want the hits, now bring the dot to that point, but don't look away for where you want the hits, once the dot arrives... pull the trigger 2 times. Now snap your head/eyes to the second target, focus on the point of impact, bring the dot to it... pull the trigger 2 times - repeat.

For added credit... *don't* become a double tapper. focus on the desired POI, break the first shot, continue to focus on the POI, watch the dot come back to that POI and break the second shot when the dot is at the POI for the second shot.

Start slow to get the feel for the dot movement, then work to quicken up the timing... but remember NO double taps, you want to see the dot on the second shot.

Is there a place for double taps... yes, IMHO, it's when you are shooting index only shots and you are close enough that you might as well turn the dot off... Sometimes I think the dot is *way* overated :)...

Good luck!

Alan

Under 7 or 8 yards I can shoot a Production G34 as fast as the good Open shooters (at my club) can shoot their Open guns. I've done the same with the Limited gun.

OP, shoot your Open gun the same as you shoot your Limited gun. Get a feel for it. Don't rush it, or you'll start flinging shots everywhere.

Shoot no faster than you can.

Simple.

;)

Dry fire until you can see the dot all the time, from draws-reloads-transitions-etc.

During live practice, push a little harder than you normally do. See if you can keep the accuracy up while moving the gun faster.

Edited by GeorgeInNePa

I've never shot an open gun, but after reading this thread... I have a whole new respect for those people who switch back and forth between classes and win. I always just assumed it was getting use to the dot being in a new location. I had no idea you had to train yourself to look at the target and not the front sight.

Now I'm thinking about waiting a bit before I choose this journey. I was set on getting an open gun too. Think I'll wait to better my skill in limited before I choose another big learning curve.

Probably a good idea. OPEN is a total blast. I doubt I'll ever shoot anything else with any real seriousness.

Being in the same boat, I found you need to practice finding the dot from any position, and buddy up to experienced open shooters, as when you've been shooting with iron sights and 19 round mags, it takes time getting used to +25 mags, and the ability to take 40 yard shoots without moving closer. They can show you how to navigate a course at full speed with minimal footwork.

I know a lot of very good shooters who would be MUCH better if they didn't have a 42" belt. In my opinion it helps to be light on your feet, flexible, in shape, and ninja fast. A resting heart rate of below 50 beats per minute would be nice too. It's not the fun part of the game...but diet and exercise can play a huge role with this semi athletic sport. It is part of being the Indian...and not the bow.

Yes..I'm a fat slob that can't run a mile...ha ha. I REALLY envy you guys that had a 5 minute mile when you started the sport!!!

Regards,

Gavin Morrison

IMO Dot will help in Iron sights.

Since your eyes focus is only on target(sight picture) and you superimpose the dot on the target, you have eliminated the variables of sight alignment/ sight picture. Which is why, you can be faster in terms of visual feedback.

Now, after shooting Open for a while, pick up your Limited or production pistol. Your eyes will have been trained to see what you NEED to see and not guess anymore or base your shot only on Index.(I'm victim of this early in my career in this sport). Yes, you will need to focus on target and in split second refocus on the sights, then break the shot. This sequence may change depending on the type of shot you have at hand. Distance,angle etc.

It has made me become more patient with iron sights even at speed, hence why Fiber optic front is a great AID in iron sights.

Also, if index is different between iron and dot, Try the side mount and practice with it. It will work fine.

Enjoy the sport and share!

• 5 weeks later...