Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the 1050 easier on the elbow than 650

Every time I reload a bunch of bullets, my elbow hurts. I used to think it was the shooting that bothered my elbow, but now I am thinking it is the reloading more than the shooting. I am using a 650 and suspect the forward priming motion to be the culprit. So I am asking those that have used both the 650 and the 1050; Is the 1050 easier on the elbow? Yes I am looking for justification to buy the 1050, but do try to give me you honest opinion. Thanks in advance!

I get it. You are trying to convince HH6.

Here's the no BS deal.

1050 will cure:

ED (according to a friend)

warts

freckles

farts

PTSD

But it will NOT do a thing for the elbow.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Kidding aside...what are you shooting? I ask becasue my elbow hurts after shooting a pistol from draw (i.e. presentation and "pushing" the gun toward target). I see no diff in the elbow after loading on the 550 or 1050. I imagine the 650 would be similiar. Sample of one disclaimer applies.

Be a man - just buy it :devil:

You Prob. have tendonitis which will hurt when you use your arm esp. in this motion. Is it on the inside or outside of the elbow. Case lube will def. help a ton if you're not using it already. As far as ease of pull with the 1050 to the 650 I don't really think there is that much of a difference to be completely honest. The 1050 has a shorter stroke and you don't have to push forward to seat the primers so it's a bit easier but I don't know that it will "save" your elbow.

I am not sure about the elbow - but I can tell you that I had the same type of thing with my shoulder. I do believe it was related to the priming with my 650.

Made the switch to a 1050 for the majority of my loading and the shoulder issue disappeared. I had gone to only loading 500 rounds at a sitting, but was again able to do 1k+ at a sitting.

Of course I have even less trouble now as I have gone to the PW on my 1050. Still use the 650 for all smaller quantity loading.

If you are not using a roller handle -- get one.

Sherwyn

My S1050 causes no pain to my elbow while reloading ever since I put a PW auto handle puller on it.

+1

In my case it was neck pain. I get a pinched nerve once and a while, and loading was nearly impossible.

I love the PW. I probably use it wrong according to most people. I process cases in bulk. I tend to sized, deprime,and swage by the 5 gallon pail.

When I have time, I will pay a bit more attention and prime the processed cases.

When it's time to load live ammo, my attention is rarely diverted from watching case as it leaves the powder measure, and the bullet feeding into the case.

Two 650's. My new one vs my friends old one. Both work fine. Mine is Much easier to pull then his 650. They go away gradually and the owner doesn't notice it as a result. Priming on mine is very easy. A well worn in 1050 is a little easier. My wrist used to hurt with the 550 and was horrible with the LnL. I would get your 650 rebuilt. See if that helps. Can't hurt. No pun intended.

Edited by 98sr20ve

Thanks for the comments, even the humorous ones about lube. BTW, I do use lube to lower the effort as well as saving my dies. I think the priming mode is the problem, especially with different brass mfg'ers having different effort on the priming. It's just that last little push to fully seat the primers that is giving me pain after 1k loading. Combine that with the shooting of the 1k bullets, I end up with some elbow pain. My suspicion that some of you confirmed is that the 1050 will eliminate the priming push on the 650 so the entire loading stroke is one smooth, continuous pull; rather that pull, push. I guess I will go hunting for a good deal on a 1050 and then if my elbow still hurts, I can add a PW drive, with a bullet feeder of course. Hmmmm.

Never loaded on a 1050, however here is the cure for your delima http://sashooter.com/forum/index.php?topic=378.0 With the motor on the machine your elbow won't have any excuses for hurting. Just email Zeus, takes a while to get a response.

Its an old add but I happen to know he is still sitting on it. Last time I tried to buy it, the price was 2k. My elbow is fine, but I keep getting a blister in the palm of my hand after only 1,000 rounds in one setting, I decided to wear a glove instead of buying the auto drive, then turned around and order power, primers, and bullets so spent the money anyway.

Have you tried loading weak hand?