Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I need to name a jazz band

I need a catchy name for a jazz band that I've started at school (I'm a high school band director). Our colors are crimson and grey, and our mascot is a pirate. Something clever that involves pirate lore is what I'm after. Any ideas?

How about "The Brass Monkeys". (A brass monkey was used to hold canon balls.)

I don't think anyone at the school would care what a brass monkey was b/c they'd be too busy screaming racism due to the word monkey. :/

I think it is creative however. I forgot about brass monkeys used on ships back then.

Edited by Gadgetech

How about "The Brass Monkeys". (A brass monkey was used to hold canon balls.)

I don't think anyone at the school would care what a brass monkey was b/c they'd be too busy screaming racism due to the word monkey. :/

I think it is creative however. I forgot about brass monkeys used on ships back then.

Would the monkeys really be offended? Or has the word monkey morphed into some politically incorect word that is now verbotten in our schools. Seriously I feel its the context in wich a word is used that matters. I do not see how this context is racist in any way, even if one did not know the origins of the phrase. Back to our regularly scheduled programing. And my apologies to any monkeys I may have offended, I don't think they surf the internet yet, but ya never know.