Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Monica's Range Diary

monicataliani

Dry fire yesterday was all about the unloaded start and mag changes since I feel like I am having a hard time loading full mags into the gun.

Today I worked on some of the following

-make ready

-unload and show clear

-unloaded start

-shooting on the move

-6 reload 6

-strong hand/ weak hand

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because the mag can hold 29, 30...whatever doesn't mean you have to load it all the way up. Take two bullets out and the mag will seat easier. You should be able to find a spot to reload on a field course before you hit 27. If you are on a medium course... stop missing! :sight:

Are you and Jonathan going to C-ville tommorrow? If you are I will see you guys then.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! What a week! :wacko: I have NOT dry fired pretty much at all due to being sick, then the match I was supposed to go to got canceled, and a practice session at the range with Colin got rained out. I am really feeling the pressure of having a major match in two weeks with only two Monday night practices and one Sunday match as potentials. Also I am kinda bummed about the loss of time I had by not dry firing this week. :( I just kept reassuring myself that if I was sick then #1 I needed to get better and #2 I wouldn't be taking much out of it because I wouldn't be focused. My goal for this week is to hit it HARD with dry fire to "make up" for my "time off." With switching to a new division so close to a major I can't really afford to miss out on any precious practice time. Back to twice a day practice!!! Last weekend I shot Circleville, Oxford, then Monday night at Miamisburg. I think I dry fired for about 15 min either Tuesday or Wednesday and worked on grip/draws a bit. Then the following day I did like 15 min working on draws and a bit of random stuff. I can't honestly remember which days. Then last night I did about half of the SA book. I really focused a lot on the draws and sho/who. I was told that better draws would help my dot positioning to be more consistent. Today I did the first section of the SA book again and worked on draws and sho/who. Then I made up all kinds of random "stages" that required me to run around and "shoot" from various weird positions so that I could try to simulate the times that my dot is shy and hiding somewhere. I even tried prone just to see what happens. I have to say that one time production is wayyyyy easier than open is when you have a belt full of mags that you are laying on! ;) I also worked on my positioning of the gun as I was running into a shooting position, like trying to get the gun up and my hands where they needed to be so I could start shooting before I stopped running. Now I'm off to clean my gun and get packed for tomorrow! :)

Naaaah... I kinda think you're "TOTALLY" being hazed just becuz.

:)

Ridiculous! Remember...what goes around comes around... :devil:

Why do you think people are always messing with you? That's ridiculous.

You should calm down since the Ohio match starts day after tomorrow!devil.gif

Why do you think people are always messing with you? That's ridiculous.

I happen to be an innocent bystander when you all start up with your shenanigans. It isn't my fault I get squaded with a bunch of troublemakers... ;)

You should calm down since the Ohio match starts day after tomorrow!devil.gif

Evil... You are truly evil... :sight:

Remember, it's considered good luck to tear an Open gun completely apart and clean it the night before you shoot it in a major match.cheers.gif

I would even take the CMore mount off and clean it up real good under there. And change the battery while you're at it. And try turning all the adjusting screws just to be sure they are tight. laugh.gif

Today is cause for celebration!!! :cheers:

I had my most intense dry fire session ever. I decided that because I hadn't done the Plate Rack Drills section of the SA book that I might as well go ahead and do it tonight. I really had it in the back of my mind that it was going to be too easy with an open gun. I mean... how hard is it to aim at my "plates" (actually post its because everything else seemed too big) with a dot? Also, it had been my favorite section to practice with production. WOW!!! First of all... You guys have all told me that shooting a full size was heavy. Especially for a girl who is as small as I am. I have yet to really run into feeling like my gun was heavy until tonight. Holy arm workout! Holding that thing out there for that long left me with some tired arms and shoulders. The other big thing is OMG does doing something that has such tiny targets really show you your flaws! I realized that I need to work on keeping my trigger pull really smooth. I was watching my dot wobble more than I would have guessed. I had never seen it do that because my targets were so much bigger that if it shook, you couldn't tell. With this, if it shook, it was off target. Similarly, it showed if I was being truly accurate while shooting on the move. The dot made it very easy to see any unintentional movement. I can't believe I just worked that hard. Seriously the most intense 45 minutes of dry fire ever! I wish all my dry fire was that focused!

Remember, it's considered good luck to tear an Open gun completely apart and clean it the night before you shoot it in a major match.cheers.gif

I would even take the CMore mount off and clean it up real good under there. And change the battery while you're at it. And try turning all the adjusting screws just to be sure they are tight. laugh.gif

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

I really had it in the back of my mind that it was going to be too easy with an open gun. I mean... how hard is it to aim at my "plates" I was watching my dot wobble more than I would have guessed. I had never seen it do that because my targets were so much bigger that if it shook, you couldn't tell. With this, if it shook, it was off target. Similarly, it showed if I was being truly accurate while shooting on the move. The dot made it very easy to see any unintentional movement. I can't believe I just worked that hard. Seriously the most intense 45 minutes of dry fire ever! I wish all my dry fire was that focused!

And just think about that production gun doing the same thing, only you never saw it. I would willing to bet you would see move around now if you went back to production.

MDA

I havent been keeping up with recording my practice. I have been super busy. I am not even going to try to log that stuff. :)

Tonight SA section 3 plus some extra work on draws and grip.

Cant believe that tomorrow people can go check out the stages for OH. Its almost here!!!!!!! :surprise:

Edited by monicataliani

So, the real question is, when are you going to shoot a real gun, you know...come compete in single stack! :devil:

Well...the truth is... 1911 is for those who cant handle a full 2011... :sight:

:wub: Sorry to everyone but Cody! :devil:

Edited by monicataliani

Ha, you wish! Chasing a dot and not having to reload, yea ok.

You just let me know when you're ready. I hear Jonathan has a nice Trojan that you could use. Then we'll see what you're really made of! :devil:

Good job at State!! Sara Irish is tuff, but you can get her if you keep working!

Btw, nice meeting you. Again, congrats on your finish!!!

Thanks! It was great to meet you too! I wish I would have pushed a little harder and not played it soooooo safe, but I shot a clean match (except one no penatly mike on a drop turner and one procedural for the handcuffs that I intentionally left because it was a time crusher.) I can't complain about having a clean match at my first major! Now... On to the practice for West Pa next weekend!

Edited by monicataliani