Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How's my grip (pics)

He@t!

Is the left wrist locked forward? Take your hand like you are gripping your gun and have someone grab it like they are going to shake your hand. Then have them pull up on your hand. If your wrist is locked out, it will be easy to keep your grip, if it is not your grip will break easily. (Trick taken from Ron Avery's video)

You can only tell so much from a picture because people are built different, but if you can get the "lock out" you should have a stronger grip with much less effort.

Personally, I think griping with the last 3 fingers on the weak hand is the most crucial to recoil management, I barely even grip with my weakhand index finger.

As long as the gun recoils the same and you don't drop it you are probably doing it ok. If the gun recoils differently each time you grip it, you most likely need a grip doctor :)

Just let your thumbs drift off into space. It's o.k. for them to float around. I couldn't tell for sure on the first two pictures ---- is your strong hand all the way up on the tang of the gun? If not, get it up there --- the higher the better ---- if the slide hits your hand, that's too high, if it doesn't you're o.k.....

Because you will end up steering the gun with your thumb in recoil.

Steve

That really depends on your grip and how much you rest it on the frame, if you have a firm neutral grip with your thumb on the frame you won't drive it at all. If that weren't the case you wouldn't see the all those open blasters with thumb rests :)

I think that is one of those things you can or can't do depending on whether or not it is a problem for you, similiar to the finger on the trigger guard. For some it works better because you can get a bit better grip getting the weakhand index finger out of the way more. (Jerry Barnhart and that French guy both still use that technique)

I find the way my hands work that my thumb rests in one of the groves on my frame, but I don't put sideways pressure on it. It is just the way it ends up when I put everything else where they need to be.

Nice Wife Beater :wacko:

Kidding aside - good move to post for help.

I second the obervation of the weak (left) wrist not being locked. It might be, but I don't see the usual signs:

-muscle definition in the left forearm

-straight line along arm bone-wrist-thumb

I am firmly in the "keep your dang thumb off the frame" camp. Especailly for the newer shooters.

Amen Brother Flex. When I started shooting I thought that resting the weak thumb on the frame was the way to go because I didn't know any better. It's a bad habbit to get into and an even harder habbit to break.

... i think i take like 2 hours to clean..lol

Spending a whole lot of time cleaning your guns is like spending endless hours tweaking your loads. It may be worthwhile up to a point, maybe even fun, depending on the quirks of one's personality (mine, for instance ;) ). But I'm finally learning that it's the shooting that really matters to me. My loads are more accurate than I am, and the gun doesn't need a detail strip and clean every second trip to the range.

Go shoot and have fun!

Your hand positions are good. Feel is important too. Try squeezing the support hand into the gun from the sides. Watch Matt Burkett's dvds - many good ideas.

Thumb on, thumb off - they might be a difference-maker to you. Or no difference.

Any grip you do come up with should point at the target the same whether you bear down with a lot of squeeze, or back off completely. Neutral.

Once you believe you're on to something good, remember to prove it to yourself at the practice range. Try out ten different things to find one that you keep.

• 2 weeks later...

Break your thumb... then you won't be able to steer shjt. ;) This I know.

I used to press on the frame with my thumb. Now it just sits there, contacting the frame, but flaccid, kinda like... nevermind. :huh:

I don't think it's necessary to have your thumb OFF of the frame, but you do need to know exactly what it's doing when you're shooting.

BTW, with the XD it's harder than hell to get your thumb completely off of the frame thanks to the position of the takedown lever (unless you go into contortions and get some weird tension in your hand). I took a Dremel to mine to get rid of the edge on the takedown lever that was doing a good job of chewing up my thumb in recoil.