Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My turn to add to the DQ list

jdwarth

DQed at Circleville yesterday on the next to last stage - at the very very can't be closer to the end. I'll set it up - Had finished the COF. I was on one knee as the last 3 poppers were through a low port - not especially low, but low for me. RO gave usual commands to unload, show empty, drop hammer, reholster - here's where the problem was and he was doing his best to make me understand to STAND UP first. In the position I was in, I ended up sweeping my thigh, but worse - I broke the 180 trying to get holstered. Sorry guys. A couple of the guys seemed more disappointed than me - that made me feel better. But I learned from this. And if the 180 is going to be broken, I'm glad the gun was clear - with no doubt. I know 100% what I did wrong and what I should practice to help with transitions from standing to kneeling. Stayed to see the squad shoot the last stage and paste.

I was at the match but on a different squad I guess. I was told very early on never holster until you stand up. Too many variables otherwise.

I actually try with new shooters to tell them to stand up before holstering.

I saw a guy holster in the prone position one time. We all know how that end.wacko.gif

What rule were you DQd under?

I would think 10.5.2 based on his story about breaking the 180. He was unloaded but not yet holstered, the CoF hadn't ended by rule.

Sorry to hear about the DQ, that's the one result that makes everyone unhappy.

I would think 10.5.2 based on his story about breaking the 180. He was unloaded but not yet holstered, the CoF hadn't ended by rule.

Sorry to hear about the DQ, that's the one result that makes everyone unhappy.

Just trying to provide some possible education. I wasn't there and have no clue of the details.

10.5.5 Allowing the muzzle of a handgun to point at any part of the competitor’s body during a course of fire (i.e. sweeping).

10.5.5.1 Exception – A match disqualification is not applicable for sweeping of the lower extremities (below the belt) while drawing or re-holstering of the handgun, provided that the competitor’s fingers are clearly outside of the trigger guard. This exception is only for holstered handguns. Sweeping does not apply to a handgun holstered in compliance with Rules 5.2.1 and 5.2.7

10.5.6 - While facing downrange, allowing the muzzle of a loaded handgun to point uprange beyond a radius of 3 feet from a competitor’s feet while drawing or re-holstering.

The port was oriented to the right with one target pretty close to the 180. If a shooter finished there and got just a little sloppy with the gun while holstering and while kneeling etc a 180 break would have been pretty easy.

Read my mind!

The port was oriented to the right with one target pretty close to the 180. If a shooter finished there and got just a little sloppy with the gun while holstering and while kneeling etc a 180 break would have been pretty easy.

That's what the exceptions are for. You'd have to screw up pretty bad to get DQed for breaking the 180 while holstering. Hell, nearly all of us would be DQed every time we holster if not for those exceptions.

Be pretty hard to break the three feet rule if you're on your knees. 3 feet away would require canting the gun pretty far.

Can't second guess the call without all of the facts, but sweeping one's thigh while holstering is not a DQ, and 3 feet gives quite a bit of fudge room on these facts. In fact, if sweeping one's thigh was a DQ, I think I'd be DQed every time I holster my limited gun.

So are you saying that the last target was close to a 180 and you were facing that 180 direction when you reholstered? So the act of holstering had you bringing the gun past the 180 to get it into your holster? If that was the case my question would be why didn't you swing your body around a bit so that you were facing downrange again?