Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I know this is really silly, but I was just wondering what it was that people missed about not being able to shoot. You stopped for some reason or other, for some undetermined amount of time.

There are lots of reasons people stop shooting, shortage of money, different priorities, kids, marriage, burn out, moving, no facilities, etc., and then sometimes something happens that allows them to shoot again.

In my case I shot then stopped when my kids became more important than shooting and started again when they had moved away from home. There are a few folks on the forum who are getting back into it, like J1B, me and a few others. The people I wonder about most are the guys like Brian, who was all world, and now doesn't shoot competitively that I know of. What did you miss most Jack, what brought you back.

What do you miss most Benos?

Anyone else?

Well, this might or might not apply to the question at hand, but..

I had to compromise this spring with my limited amount of time--either attend this computer class and proceed to advance my life, or do spring shooting league and enjoy the company of my friends, etc., but remain stuck in a career rut. :wacko:

Well, ultimately I was obliged to take the class and do a 'by' on the spring shooting league. It's the first league session (a 7-8 week period of action) I've missed since I began shooting a little over two years ago. It left an empty spot in my life that drained a lot of energy away... yet allowed me to realize how involved I really WAS in this sport and in its people. Moreover, I was getting e-mails from my team captain telling me that I was missed during league and things just weren't the same, etc. :rolleyes:

Though I had legitimate reasons for taking a short leave from competition this season, I doubt I'll ever do that again if I can help it. The importance of friends, the sport, and the personal growth that takes place with each squeeze of the trigger is way too important right now. No matter the cost.

Everything costs SOMETHING. Mine just happens to be shooting. B)

I have had to stop several times. It's either been to spend more time with family or because I got too far behind on the things normal people do with their weekends.

What I miss most when I'm away is the structure of practice and competition that keeps me focused on staying sharp personally. When I'm shooting regulary, I feel equal to just about any challenge that arises in my life. Any problem is just another lesson to be learned or obstacle to be surmounted. Some of the fondest memories of my life are of times I spent, as a boy shooting with my father. He died when I was 20. That was hard, but I soon realized that I still felt very connected to him whenever I shot.

We all have a lens through which we view life, a filter that helps us to prioritize and deal with the issues. My lens just happens to have a cross-hair inside of it. Whenever I stop shooting for a time, I always start to feel pensive and uncertain about everyday things, a nervousness and anxiety that I can't explain, and that won't go away. Conversely, my soul is at peace when I shoot, because it's one of the main things I was born to do.

Wow - this is a pretty powerful question. If you don't mind, I'll probably answer in multiple posts. This is one of those questions that I'll think about and ponder. To be honest it will probably help me more than you once I have it totally answered (not to assume you are looking for help - just to point out that answering the question will help me)

I quit for many reasons. Ironically I quit when my game was coming around. I quit because I knew that what I wanted to do (shoot professionally) wasn't really an option - or at least not an option with a lot of security. I realize I could have shot for a living, but I also had other dreams and I needed to put myself in a position to earn the capital that would get me there. I knew that my shooting professionally would never equal what TGO had. I also quit because something happened late in my career that made it tough to enjoy being at the range.

What did I miss? Certainly the competition. While I've tried at golf and softball and all other things - there is nothing quite like competing and being capable of winning against the best in the world. I'm not bragging - I'm just saying that the matches I won REALLY meant something to me.

I missed the fellow shooters, and I missed doing something that I knew I was good at. So many things I do are full of uncertainty - shooting is something I feel totally confident doing. Even today as I knock the rust off, once the buzzer goes off I feel strong as ever.

In terms of what has brought me back I think that is more basic. TGO and I keep in touch a bit and last year I called him after the limited nationals to talk about the match. That was the first time that I remember really wanting to do this again and feeling like I could. Kippi and I are close friends - always have been. During the times I couldn't reach Rob I talked with her and she's the one who pushed me over the edge and convinced me I needed to jump back into the saddle. I had made the comment to her that it wasn't that I wished I was still shooting, its that I wished I'd never quit. She immediately responded get out there, pick up a gun, and do what you were meant to do. If you wish you'd never quit, then you wish you were still shooting. I know on paper that ain't much - but to me it was that nudge over the edge I needed. I am also like Sam - if I'm shooting it brings a ton more focus into all other facets of my life.

Fact is that shooting is in my blood. It isn't something I love per se - its just a part of me. I liken it to my heart - I don't love my heart - its part of my everyday life and without it clearly I don't function very well. Shooting IPSC for me is kind of the same. Not exactly - but I need it. Even when I was out of the game, I'd still mock engage targets with my arms. I would always think about it. Its simply a part of me - I don't exist without it. OK - I love it - but I love it like I love my heart, not like I love my wife.

Like I said - this is a multiple post thing for me. I would like to say Thanks for asking the question though. Its incredible to think about all the things that go on in life - and how all things come around in the end.

Thank You!

JB

It isn't something I love per se - its just a part of me. I liken it to my heart - I don't love my heart - its part of my everyday life and without it clearly I don't function very well.

Jack, that's just incredible! I've never heard it put so well.

Shooting is (among other things) a martial art. It develops strength, peace-of-mind and equilibrium in the shooter. Like I said, I tend to lose energy and, therefore, personal inner confidence if I reduce my trigger time. :huh:

I'm about due for some more serious trigger time. :P

I can truly say that I never thought the replies would be so eloquent or personally insightful. I am amazed by the posts by Sam and Jack. (You to Siggy)...

For some it seems that shooting is more than a conscious act. That it appeals to us on many levels, not just physical, or mental, but emotional as well. I had never heard it explained as well as by the two guys mentioned above. They were ment to shoot, it is part of their make up, it completes them, it is what they do. What a powerful statement. Equally powerful is the reference/inference that ties shooting with close personal friends and/or family, the memories that are conjured up and the new ones that are made, to be relived again and again with happiness and pleasure.

Thanks Sam and David.

I have to tell you - I can't wait to see the other replies.

The question is a kicker. I bounced it around my brain all night.

This could easily be one of those threads that helps us all improve, not because of some enlightenment about strategies or techniques, but because of some enlightenment about us and who we are.

Great Post!

JB

I have recently had about a 3 month lay over (right after I made M till now) because of work and various other things...

While I'm good at other things, shooting is by far what I'm best at. When you get into a high classification, win a few matches, or just set new personal bests it instills a new type of confidence (for me). That confidence is not attained through anything else, but it transfers to everything that you do. To me, that is priceless.

Believe or not, I missed the performance metric of competition. I'd head out shooting in the woods with my neighbors occasionally, but it just wasn't the same. Plinking is OK I guess, but there's no gauge for how you're performing, so it really seems pointless anymore.

The only time I had quit from practical shooting it was not by choice.

Whilst I was with the rest of the British team in Brazil for the World Shoot, we were discussing what was going to happen back in England when the govermnent would decide it's response to the murders at Dunblane. It was a depressing subject then and so we agreed that no-one would mention it again for the remainder of the competition.

A couple of days after returning we heard the news; All full-bore pistols were to be confiscated. I think this was around the end of September or beginning of October in 1996. It would take about a year for the laws to pass and be put into effect.

At the end of 1996, UKPSA published the last shooting schedule. There were to be plenty of matches including the first 2 full day competition, the British Open at Minsterley.

Some people dropped out immediately, they did not see the point in doing more matches when it would all come to an end. The final date to hand in guns was the end of September of 1997.

I attended matches the length and breadth of the United Kingdom, matches in Scotland, England and Wales. At the start of the year the mood was upbeat, most were glad to just have another last opportunity to meet up with old friends in competition. That year the summer was great, there was a match practically every weekend, most made up of 8-12 stages.

The two-day British Open, it rained. It seemed like the weather reflected the mood of the competitors, time was drawing to a close. I can't even remember who won the match though I suspect it was Angus.

The last match for me was in Devon, the Southern Area Championships. The sun shone for the whole match, but towards the end the mood had changed. They gave away the prizes and the trophies and the winners were applauded. And then it was over. I walked out of the gate to the range and headed back to my car. I passed people who were openly crying. I did not want to leave. I knew that as soon as I got into my car and drove away that I would never shoot again; I would never again enjoy the camaraderie of competition.

But eventually I left and three days later, under penalty of 10 years imprisonment for non-compliance, I drove to the Police station and handed over my guns. The process took about an hour, then I drove home, sat in the sofa and stared at the wall for at least an hour. I kept thinking to myself, "what just happened ?"

The answer ? I along with about 60,000 others had been punished for a crime we did not commit. I resolved myself that I would not sit down and take this. I would do the one thing that was left open to me. I would leave...

I searched and found a job in USA. In October of 1997 I travelled to Colorado for an interview and was offered the job a couple of weeks later. It took some time to get the visa sorted, but that gave me an opportunity to sell my car, my house and dispose of everything that I owned except my clothes and my shooting trophies which I shipped over in advance.

I arrived in Colorado in March with just 2 pieces of luggage. Within a few weeks I had contacted the local shooting community and a few months later I found myself at the range in Aurora, I looked down to see the Open Gun secured in a brand new safariland holster, strapped to my waist and was astonished. I could never have foreseen that I would be able to take part in this sport again. The months that I had been without shooting were just a drudgery, one weekend after another with nothing to do, no opportunity to excel and compete. No drive to improve myself.

I got it all back. I worked hard to get where I am. I earned this and that makes it all the sweeter.

I would suggest that we all read BritinUSA's post, print it out and carry it, show it to every shooter, every gun owner every lover of freedom you know.

It can happen here. Imagine John Kerry and Hillary in the Whitehouse!

And remember Hitler did not seize power. He was ELECTED!

Jim

Jim

Don't get involved in the politics - the incumbents of the White House have little bearing on the issue - the British Conservative Party introduced the ban - the Conservatives are as close to Republicans as you can get. The ban was a knee jerk reaction by a political party they was about to loose an election - the Conservatives thought they would gain votes by the ban a perhaps stay in power. Don't wish to make any comparisons to other current political situations but.......

Phil Terry - Another Brit in the USA

I had a 10 month layoff from shooting due to the need for emergency surgery to repair some of my "internals" a few years back. After getting the "o.k." from the doctor, the first plans I made was to hop on a plane to British Columbia to train with a friend. We trained for better part of a week and by the end of the visit...I was on track again both mentally and physically.

Having gone back to College and attending classes year round, my weekends to shoot are limited...usually clogged up with homework assignments but I manage to shoot a half dozen matches a year. This summer is the "summer off" from the classroom and I've already shot more matches thus far than I've shot all last year.

What I miss...the competition. I'm not too concerned with competing against the other shooters, I like to compete against myself. I push myself hard to see how I'd perform when the chips are down. I thrive on testing myself and seeing if I can improve my mental toughness. I'm no athlete by far but I like to adopt one activity where I feel it's me against the world and do I have what it takes to put in a good performance. When I couldn't do this on a regular basis (out healing up from surgery) I felt mentally lazy and weak. :(

Homework tests my mental ability just fine but shooting is MUCH more fun than studying. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I have to agree that every shooter who has the right however government or state infringed should bear in mind what happened in England. Slowly things are starting here, restrictions on shipping firearms ammunition, new expense to ship powder and primers registering the purchase of more then one “handgun” etc etc.

It is s start and need to be monitored.

For me the end of the UK shooting era happened in France at the French Open in Arachon. It was the last time we were to hold legal firearms as British Citizens, when I got back to the UK my guns along with the thousands of others were duly handed in.

After some home, life, and work problems I decide to move to Spain, I had about a 6 month lay off with minimal “traveling “ to shooting matches Then I moved to Spain, I was promised license firearms etc which after 10 months never really transpired. Finally I got the ache with that and look for a way to move to the USA the Mecca of shooting.

I made the move and after 3 years fighting for a green card finally secured one.

So now I have recollected my guns and compete again, great life in the sun of Arizona.

The shooting bug is deep with this one and I am sure will always be so. So however frustrating things become I always look back and am thankful I made the decisions that I did and can continue to shoot……

Well I am back too.

I left for the longest period ever, I was winning more than I ever had, and didn't want to leave. I am still on a reduced schedule. :(

I missed winning. Winning is the result of hard work and dedication and instills a sense of pride and confidence. I also strive in this game, for perfection, and have touched it a couple of times. Interesting feeling. While I would love to shoot every week and "go pro" I still love shooting and will always do it in some way. I have also enjoyed the friendship of many people involved in the sport and to tell you the truth I can't quit. I have too much invested in this.

Kyle

Thanks and its good to be back. I shot much better on Sunday, I think Sat was worst match in 10 years but that's what a year or so off will do. I still need work but I know what I need to do. See you out there shooting. And welcome back all you others.

After reading some of these posts I guess I should post my feelings. I turned 26 Tuesday, and until Sunday June 6 my last qualifier was in 93. I never was a great shooter like some are on here. I could go fast or accurate but never both at the same time. Towards the end I was shooting with some of the best people I had ever met, and those that taught me the most. My game was starting to come around.

Then it hit, I turned 16 and had all the other kid stuff to do school, football, college, etc. I even got married in the time frame and the divorce will be final in September. The time off I gained over 100 pounds and became a lazy bum for the most part.

Last august when the separation happened. I decided it was time to come back. Shooting motivates me in a way that nothing else seems to. I have started an exercise program, started practicing, and most importantly started shooting at matches.

Last sunday I shot my first match in 10 years. You know what it felt pretty good. I got to talk to some of the people that I have not seen in 10 years, and the interesting part is they still remembered me. Like I said I was never a great shooter.

Now coming back shooting this weekend, it just seemed on. Everything came back better than before. I did not shoot one miss or no shoot the whole day. My focus is returning to a more peaceful place with a great reduction in stress. Plus I felt pretty solid with my performance for as long as it has been since I was away from an open gun.

Sorry for rambling on, but this thread really means alot to me. Seeing what others had to say etc.

As a Brit still living in Britland I take a lay on at shooting (does that make any sense?) Basically what it means is that (almost) every year I travel across to the US to compete in the Bianchi Cup match. So for two weeks, I shoot as much as I can.

I didn't make it this year and it genuinely feels as though something is missing from my life. I tried clay shooting, but it just doesn't give me the same buzz.

What I love so much about shooting is what brings me back, namely the competitive aspect and the friendships that you make whilst doing it.

I haven't been shooting for that long yet and never had to stop shooting either. The only time I was away from home while there was some local match I so wanted to attend, was when my girlfriend dragged me away to Bahamas for a week. I had great time there, no regrets whatsoever, but on Sunday morning, I remembered where I was supposed to be, I felt like I have springs in my knees, ready to run. I felt my hands so empty, and I imagined and almost felt those shiny brass candies in my hands that I wanted to load my mags with. For a moment snorkeling perspective lost its appeal - I wanted back to Virginia hills.

Few days later when I got home I looked up that match scores on the web, glanced through the divisions - my name wasn't there, not even at the very bottom!