Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best gun for a kid to start shooting USPSA

bruised lee

I got a 10 years old son whom I am planning on starting shooting. Planning on having my G34 grip reduced or buying a CZ and installing a slim grip panel. Asking for shooters with experience to share input if there are better options/guns suited for him. Thanks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a 9 or 10 year old running a double-stack Caspian, I believe, at the last USPSA match I shot.

Maybe a 4th gen G34 or an M&P with the small grip inserts? I would think you'd want something with a grip that he can change fairly easily, as most boys grow quite a bit from 10 to 14.

I usually use a G17 to introduce ladies (sometimes dames and broads as well.) to shooting, and they usually find it fairly easy.

JUST MY OPINIONS !

I think Steel Challenge is a great way to start kids in shooting sports.

They learn speed & accuracy, and that a fast miss don't look good on the score sheet.

Starting with a 22 LR long barrel pistol, Red Dot or Iron Sights or switch back and forth is a great tool to teach grip and trigger control.

Probally wouldn't hurt us grown-ups to run 22 some too!! A quality 22 with C-More is a good practice tool for open shooters JMO.

When going to center fire, my vote is a tricked G34.

Have FUN be SAFE,

Perry

Try a 1911, preferably in 9mm. The single-stack makes a HUGE difference for me because I have smaller hands. Besides, it has a thumb safety they will have to disengage, which IMO is a plus.

You can get an STI Spartan for ~$630.

+1 My son shot his first USPSA match when he was 10 and shot it with a single stack 1911 in 45 ACP and with major PF loads. He's not a very big kid either, he wrestled at 135 lbs. his senior year of high school. I started him out with a Browning Buckmark .22 pistol when he was 7 years old and progressed from there.

post-21-0-22393600-1316179163_thumb.jpg

It's great hearing about all the young kids shooting steel challenge and USPSA. Can't wait for my kids to grow up...What I think you can take from all this is that if the kid gets used to a gun - 34, 35, 1911, so on, they'll do fine with it. I dont think it's a matter of one gun being unfriendly vs. any other kind of gun - just look at Miko Andres - the kids 6 and shoots a .45 single stack.

My kid has not got yet into any competition with 'grown ups' we are just practicing for now.

He has tried my STI Open but still prefers the G34 minor. A few more practice sessions and we will do some steel competition together

He is only 10 but he is already a Distinguish Expert in rifle (bench), working his qualification in 3-positions

As gohushers said it's just a matter of getting use to a style of gun.We had some issues of my kid trying to reach the thumb saftey with her weak hand So we decided to just learn proper draw and wait till later to try a S.A.. We also try to stay with one reload per stage and focas on gunhandling and on A's. But everything varies with different shooters

Edited by kellymc

It's great hearing about all the young kids shooting steel challenge and USPSA. Can't wait for my kids to grow up...What I think you can take from all this is that if the kid gets used to a gun - 34, 35, 1911, so on, they'll do fine with it. I dont think it's a matter of one gun being unfriendly vs. any other kind of gun - just look at Miko Andres - the kids 6 and shoots a .45 single stack.

+1 my son 5yrs old likes to shoot my 22lr he told me he wants to shoot my Desert Eagles 44mag , and trys to argue with me he can shoot it! :sight:

I'll go against the grain here. Get a 4" Model 15 S&W revolver. There! I said it.... :sight:

From a safety standpoint it's a good option, not too heavy, it's all steel, accurate, doesn't recoil very much, can change grips to suit hand size and he won't have problems with limp wristing it.

For a plastic fantastic it'll be hard to beat an M&P 9Pro or G34 if that's the way you go. But my daughter is an expert at limp wristing the M&P 9, I can only do it if shooting it with only my thumb and trigger finger holding onto the gun, and loosely at that, but she's great at it. It still feeds and ejects but won't reset the striker. She weighs about 110lbs soaking wet.

As mentioned, Steel Challenge with a .22 is a great way to start them. :cheers:

Edited by Shadowrider

My kid shoots from time to time (at the range, not matches). She likes my m&p pro 9, with my minor, bunny fart loads. I use n310,as it is not as loud. She will have nothing to do with my major loads out of my limited gun. :-)

Edited by JeremyM

Try a 1911, preferably in 9mm. The single-stack makes a HUGE difference for me because I have smaller hands. Besides, it has a thumb safety they will have to disengage, which IMO is a plus.

You can get an STI Spartan for ~$630.

That was my thinking as well. It has the added benefit of being somewhat scalable for grip size.

There was a 9 or 10 year old running a double-stack Caspian, I believe, at the last USPSA match I shot.

Maybe a 4th gen G34 or an M&P with the small grip inserts? I would think you'd want something with a grip that he can change fairly easily, as most boys grow quite a bit from 10 to 14.

I usually use a G17 to introduce ladies (sometimes dames and broads as well.) to shooting,

and they usually find it fairly easy.

Tried them and still too big.tnx

JUST MY OPINIONS !

I think Steel Challenge is a great way to start kids in shooting sports.

They learn speed & accuracy, and that a fast miss don't look good on the score sheet.

Starting with a 22 LR long barrel pistol, Red Dot or Iron Sights or switch back and forth is a great tool to teach grip and trigger control.Probally wouldn't hurt us grown-ups to run 22 some too!! A quality 22 with C-More is a good practice tool for open shooters JMO.

When going to center fire, my vote is a tricked G34.

Already have a G34.it's too big for him.might shoot steel so that he can start shooting.what gun are you using and mods made?tnx

Thank you guys for the replies. I tried replying to some of the posts here but the phone I'm using is acting up. I think I'm going to try shooting steel again with him just to start him shooting"regularly". Sure have interesting replies here.haven't though of revolver but the trigger pull will be too hard for him I guess as he is really small for his age.m&p got recommended here a lot but we tried it and still too big for him to shoot it safely and without fear of injuring his wrist.

The kid shooting Major .45, wonder how is he doing right now? He must be really strong to like shooting it. The first time I fired a .45 after 15 years of absence from shooting scene and a year of shooting production felt like The gun wanted to fly out of my hand. Hope he does't get any wrist problem.