Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2012 Florida Open

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We were one stage back. He is a good guy. Easy going. Congrats to all the winners. Thanks to the Ro's and everyone that helped run the match. It was great. See you at Area 6

Edited by a matt

This really was a tough match, at least for me. I had a blast, but I hope this is my worst match of the year. I had 2 fail to engage, an issue with my *thumb rest [generic]* and slide stop lever cost me big. Also I was not ready for only having 3 minutes to go over the stages.

I got to shoot on Max and Blakes squad which really made the experience for me. They are both class acts. When my gun broke Max was right there to offer advice to help me get it fixed and get back in the game.

Here are some of the videos:

Me and my pitiful match

Max

Squad 20 at the 2012 Florida Open, Frostproof, FL.

I will post the entire file of pictures, over 900, that I took of the squad on the Akai Custom Guns web site, please look under the Gallery tab for the Florida Open pictures. http://www.acguns.com/

The individual pictures will be available for download. If you want the entire file send me a note with your e-mail and I will forward the file.

With the exception of the pictures of the enchanting and lovely Rebecca.

Should you wish your pictures sent in private please contact me at Rick@acguns.com.

Rick

post-13568-0-95079600-1329772361_thumb.j

Thanks for posting the vids! The cheesy non-copyrighted free range polka/ska music is way cool! ;)

Looks like the theme of the match was US holidays? The all looked fun, but I really like the Twisted Christmas and Loco Cinco de Mayo stages.

The Christmas stage was definitely twisted! There was NOTHING festive about it! 3x 1/3 swinger targets at 35 yards! HO HO HO! There was a static target that was even farther!

Cinch de Mayo had a 6" plate at 30+ yards that ate my lunch! I'm still licking my wounds.

Big thanks to Frank, Manny, Carol, all the staff at USA as well as all the RO's for the weekend. Another great Florida Open, one of the best stage wise in recent memory. Also perfect weather in Florida in February sure doesn't hurt.

Great way to kick off the season and remind us all of the practice we need for the year!

Big thanks to Frank, Manny, Carol, all the staff at USA as well as all the RO's for the weekend. Another great Florida Open, one of the best stage wise in recent memory. Also perfect weather in Florida in February sure doesn't hurt.

Great way to kick off the season and remind us all of the practice we need for the year!

Agree on all of the above, especially the part about practice! If the FL Open does not remind you what the bump on the front of the slide is for (at least for all of us non-Open shooters!) nothing will. Thanks for another great match in Frostproof.

Thanks for posting the vids! The cheesy non-copyrighted free range polka/ska music is way cool! ;)

Looks like the theme of the match was US holidays? The all looked fun, but I really like the Twisted Christmas and Loco Cinco de Mayo stages.

The Christmas stage was definitely twisted! There was NOTHING festive about it! 3x 1/3 swinger targets at 35 yards! HO HO HO! There was a static target that was even farther!

Cinch de Mayo had a 6" plate at 30+ yards that ate my lunch! I'm still licking my wounds.

LOL...we paced it off at 23 yards from the forward fault line. Shot and worked the match, was a lot of fun. Great experience dealing with international shooters.

• 2 weeks later...

I got an envolope in the mail Saturday from frostproof with $80.00 cash inside with no note. Guess I won a drawing or something. It is going into the 2013 Florida open fund.

Again, I aNy to thank everyone that worked, setup, shot or came out to watch, I had a great time.

I got an envolope in the mail Saturday from frostproof with $80.00 cash inside with no note. Guess I won a drawing or something. It is going into the 2013 Florida open fund.

Again, I aNy to thank everyone that worked, setup, shot or came out to watch, I had a great time.

The Florida Open is a cash back match. Based on finish. A few other matches operate like this. I like it. Frank is an amazing guy-old school, but still on the cutting edge. One of the all time greats.

The Florida Open is a cash back match. Based on finish. A few other matches operate like this. I like it. Frank is an amazing guy-old school, but still on the cutting edge. One of the all time greats.

LOL...we paced it off at 23 yards from the forward fault line. Shot and worked the match, was a lot of fun. Great experience dealing with international shooters.

This is arguably the best match in the country. Frank, Manny, RO's, and staff do a great job.

There is one area that comes up every year that could make it better for all. Since there is a large participation of international shooters and many are not accustom to pasting and resetting, the others on the squad do all the work. It makes for a very long day. It would be great if there were enough stage staff to do all the pasting and resetting, even if an increased price was needed to offset this.

This is arguably the best match in the country. Frank, Manny, RO's, and staff do a great job.

Agree! I've shot it twice now. The stages and staff are 2nd to none. This year was definitely the most difficult match I've ever shot... and I'll definitely be back.

There is one area that comes up every year that could make it better for all. Since there is a large participation of international shooters and many are not accustom to pasting and resetting, the others on the squad do all the work. It makes for a very long day. It would be great if there were enough stage staff to do all the pasting and resetting, even if an increased price was needed to offset this.

This should fall on the squad members to educate the forign shooters on how matches work in the US. Shot this all but 3 years since it inception. Had the same issue a few times, and with only 1 exception, once they were asked/shown/told how it was done it was a non issue.

This should fall on the squad members to educate the forign shooters on how matches work in the US. Shot this all but 3 years since it inception. Had the same issue a few times, and with only 1 exception, once they were asked/shown/told how it was done it was a non issue.

I have tried that for three years. Seen RO's put pasters in there hands. Did not work. One RO told us this year that they were told international shooters do not have to paste.

We were told in advance it would be a challenge. As this was my first year to work and shoot the match, it was a learning experience. With over 50% international this year, I can see that growing leading up to the World Shoot in 2014.

I would not like to see domestic involvement suffer due to this unfortunate fact, and there were a fair number of domestic shooters who made no bones about their displeasure. Adding staff or increasing the price to international shooters to cover those extra people to paste would not be a bad notion. But I don't know what is worse, a bunch of young kids who don't know what they are doing trying to help or non-helping shooters. Eithe way can be a cluster.

On the brighter side, during the RO shoot, we had the pleasure of a shooter from Uruguay who also happened to be an IPSC delegate from that country. Learned a lot about IPSC that I did not know, and we know he left with a lot more knowledge of USPSA than he had before. He spent a day with a bunch of regular shooters, not AD's or Presidents from USPSA. We discussed RO'ing, classifications, pasting, scoring, stage set-ups (since theirs is more regulated than ours) and a host of issues. I loved it.

I think the best thing for this match would be to add staff. As an RO, the RO coverage was not enough, and we were working for 3 days, with shooters who need more attention (safety wise). Even Nationals, with arguably less difficult stages has much better RO coverage per stage.

Lastly, I don't think any safety infractions should be ignored, no matter how "minor" people seem to think they are.