Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TZ-75 MAJOR LOADS

Jager1147

I shoot 125's over HS-6, and wanted to experiment with the 115's if the gun can take the abuse. Was thinking of trying 3N38 with the 115's. Anyone doing this? trying to flatten out the recoil a little.

I don't think your chances for success will be good... but you could try. Start with no more than .3gr more powder than your 124bullet load. Check pressure signs. Chrono (probably minor pwr factor) and repeat in .3gr increments.

With an OAL of 1.135 or less, shooting anything other than 124/125gr bullets will put you in a stage DNF sooner or later. The FIRST time you get a stuck case you'll know that you've gone too far. Stop then & have 124s on hand as "backup ammo."

JMHO

If you go to Jeff Maass website (do a Google search on Maass IPSC loads list and voila) and download the 9x21 IPSC loads list, you will find all of the tried and true 9x21 offerings from over the ages and it’s all basically the same from 9x19 through 9x23 give or take a rat’s a$$ :rolleyes: (actually a little case neck tension variance is the big difference in load data for these three)

Lots of VV used in the 115gr loads listed, but no 540 takers. Whereas 540 is used in 75% of the 124gr loads listed so you are already shooting the winner. BTW, a lot of 9x21 540 data is 175+ PF so it’s a known performer as far as pressure goes. All of the 115 data looked safer at longer OAL’s to me anyway. But with major at 165 now, it might be attempted safely if done carefully.

Be safe out there!

--

Regards,

I load 3n38 in a 9mm and it makes major, but I am using a 124 gr bullet at 1.16 oal. It is not in a tz 75 type of gun. My load is in the mid 9 gr area, and I hesitate a bit to tell you exactly where so you won't blow yourself up....

Mike

Hi Jager,

I have been shooting 115's for the last year or so thru my P9. I'll tell you to be honest, I'd stay 125. I use exclusively HS6 and HS7 for my loads, and either small rifle or pistol Mag. primers. With a slower powder, Mag. pistol primers will work-Eric G. uses CCI pistol mag. in his .38S. The HS6 is the more consistent of the 2, but the gun is flatter, and snappier with the HS7. I will send you some data if you want if you email me, but I like the feelings of the 124-25's better. Also my gun seems way more accurate with them. If you want to flatten the gun out a bit, try a slower powder behind the 124, you'll be happy with the results ;)

Keep in mind that Eric G. is likely loading to 1.25 OAL. Reducing the OAL .1" (to 9mm OAL) is VERY critical in a round that is very case volume strained from the start. BE CAREFUL!

Leo

Leo,

I definitely know what you mean, I will not even consider the Magnum primers with anything but the slower powders, in my case HS7. Also I load now only to about 160-165PF max. I feel no advantage of going beyond that.

hehe, we still don't know if it's 9x19 or 9x21... but it doesn't make much of a difference I guess.

I shot 124s over HS6 in 9x21 at 175 PF in a P9 longslide. Just sticking on a 115 over the same powder load should be about 165 PF. Of course I was breaking pins left and right with 124s after I lost my "unbreakable" pin.

Shot a match today with 115 ammo. The gun ran great, better than me :P that's for sure. After shooting a 200 round match, I look forward to going back to the 124's, I am more consistent, even if it is only a psychological thing, the gun just feels better to me. And that straight back recoil which feels more brutal with the 115's can't be good for the gun. I'm on a budget, so I don't want to be breaking anything.

Ive been shooting 115's over WAP and HS-6 for over 4 years and thousands of rounds. Gun shoots super flat with not a single problem to either the pistol or myself. Gun is a S_I frame and slide with a Nowlin Barrel.

Ive been shooting 115's over WAP and HS-6 for over 4 years and thousands of rounds. Gun shoots super flat with not a single problem to either the pistol or myself. Gun is a S_I frame and slide with a Nowlin Barrel.

The gun in question is a TZ-75 which is basically a P9. The S_I gun you are shooting allows a longer loaded OAL and therefore will be a safer bet for that type of loading. I still advise extreme caution using 115's at short OAL's in 9MM guns.

Be careful out there.

--

Regards,

Thanks Jody,

I'm shooting 9X21 in a TZ frame now, with a 125 FMJ over HS-6 and oal of 1.16 I'll give the 115's a shot with HS-7. I shoot a very heavy spring and the pins go a long way now before showing signs of bending. Mind sharing your recipe for HS-7? Naturally I'll start lower and work my way up! Thanks!

Old Shooter,

what are you shooting major nine with, and what type of comp?