2012 Area 1 Pistol Championship

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A new match website is up:

www.area1championship.com

I've posted Stage 1 to it, in a regular view and a cool 3-D fly-thru view.

I'll be posting up the rest of the stages as my daughter finishes them in Google Sketchup.

And that site will where updates, and ultimately real-time scores are posted out of PractiScore (the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad/Androd scoring system we will be using).

Ken N.

MD

TY64062

P.S. I'm not a frequent Enos reader, so direct questions to the website, versus the forum. If you want a quick answer anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

Email Ken. The waiting list is just about cleared up. He opened up a bunch of slots to shoot with staff. You're probably not gonna be shooting Sat/Sun but you might still get in.

Ken's email is Ken@Kennelson.com

Thanks Chuck :cheers:

• 1 month later...

Even though match was full and the waitlist long it's great to see 3 of the best shooters in the world were able to enter the match and shoot on the same squad prior to the general population ariving....again. :devil:

Tom, the MD opened the Wed/Thurs schedule to try and accomodate as many shooters as possible. I'm guessing your remark is aimed at Travis, Max and Manny. Travis and Max are on that squad because I, and the guy I'm traveling with moved to make room for them. Nothing sneaky. As far as Manny, he's paying his way to come out and teach a junior and vet clinic on Friday so he can't shoot that day. He's also been registered for a long time. Not a last minute add as you seem to imply. I'm sure if you would like to change your schedule to shoot before the general population arrives we can make it happen. In fact you can shoot on my squad.

Edited by Chuck Anderson

I get emails from the MD on this match that are amazing. The work they're doing opening up the range to the public to demo our sport is awesome! They're also having demo bays for manufacturers to demo their wares. The whole match looks like it's going to be first rate.

Hi Chuck. Man the text of the email notification I got prior you your edit has a much different tone than what I see here. We'll just go with this.

I was going to include in my post that I mean no offense to match staff as the demands of running a match require support from sponsors and certain "accommodations" must be made to allow the sponsors to best promote their product - including saving slots for sponsored shooters?

I've watched the squad list and wait list from the inception and none of these 3 shooters you mention were on these lists when they were full. I therefore deduce that slots are saved for sponsored shooters. Cool. I'm down with that.

What rubs me the wrong way (I must be the only person that feels this way?) is USPSA enabling the elitism associated with certain shooters. I won't pretend to know the hectic schedules associated with being a pro shooter, hell I don't even own a NASCAR colored shirt, but I don't see other major matches scheduled that weekend and everyone knows this supersquad shoot'n scoot dance happens all the time.

In an offline discussion on this subject a friend made the comment:

"I still don't understand how a sponsor gets any benefit from their guys shooting and scooting? If I sponsored a shooter, I would insist that he shoot a regular match schedule, squadded with the people to whom I'm trying to sell my product"

If I offended you Chuck, I'm sorry, however many people perceive this to be a problem. You don't see that?

See you in a couple weeks.

Tom

Hi Chuck. Man the text of the email notification I got prior you your edit has a much different tone than what I see here. We'll just go with this.

I was going to include in my post that I mean no offense to match staff as the demands of running a match require support from sponsors and certain "accommodations" must be made to allow the sponsors to best promote their product - including saving slots for sponsored shooters?

I've watched the squad list and wait list from the inception and none of these 3 shooters you mention were on these lists when they were full. I therefore deduce that slots are saved for sponsored shooters. Cool. I'm down with that.

What rubs me the wrong way (I must be the only person that feels this way?) is USPSA enabling the elitism associated with certain shooters. I won't pretend to know the hectic schedules associated with being a pro shooter, hell I don't even own a NASCAR colored shirt, but I don't see other major matches scheduled that weekend and everyone knows this supersquad shoot'n scoot dance happens all the time.

In an offline discussion on this subject a friend made the comment:

"I still don't understand how a sponsor gets any benefit from their guys shooting and scooting? If I sponsored a shooter, I would insist that he shoot a regular match schedule, squadded with the people to whom I'm trying to sell my product"

If I offended you Chuck, I'm sorry, however many people perceive this to be a problem. You don't see that?

See you in a couple weeks.

Tom

The original post was based on an incorrect assumption that you didn't make it into the match and that was source of your bitterness. I checked and found out you were in. Hence the change.

That said, Travis and Max are additions that came when Ken opened up Wed/Thurs. They were not "Sponsored Slots". They were just where they could fit into a 425 person match. As far as Manny...well you're wrong. I checked the very first emails with squadding I received from Ken and he's always been in there.

As far as whether a sponsor wants there shooter there for the main match or not is up to them. I'm sponsored and shooting in the staff match. From my perspective and I would hope that of my sponsors it is a better way of doing it. I'll shoot Wed/Thurs. Teach the Jr/Vet class Friday, and I'll be on the range till Monday taking pictures, meeting all the different competitors and moving around the different squads. Something I couldn't do if I was shooting in the main match. I do take offense to your implication that Max and Travis recieved special treatment because of who they are. They had the same shot as anyone else. The only person I've added to the match that wasn't on the list was Mike Hughes yesterday. And the only reason I did that is because he volunteered to come down and teach one of the Jr/Vet clinics for me when another instructor had to back out due to work and another due to surgery. If he's willing to help me out at the last minute the least I can do is find him a spot to shoot.

Edited by Chuck Anderson

Well then that settles it - there is no special treatment for certain shooters in USPSA.

In all seriousness Chuck, I just hope everyone on the waitlist got in before the pros.

All, sorry for hijacking your thread. I should have posted to the hate forum. :cheers:

Well then that settles it - there is no special treatment for certain shooters in USPSA.

In all seriousness Chuck, I just hope everyone on the waitlist got in before the pros.

All, sorry for hijacking your thread. I should have posted to the hate forum. :cheers:

You're not even allowed to mention this stuff in the hate forum.

Called the MD today and fortunately I can put Tom's mind at ease. Every person on the waitlist has been offered a slot. Some couldn't accept because the scheduling didn't allow or they couldn't make it on shorter notice. We've also had some folks drop out for various reasons. The bottom line is the there is no more "wait list" although there are people waiting for specific schedules to open up. At this point it's first come, first served.

As far as Max and Travis. They made arrangements with the MD to shoot that schedule months ago. Arrangements that I'm sure any other shooter, whether a D or GM, could have made if they asked.

As to your question. Yes I see that some people think others receive special treatment. That really goes to their own belief system though. I've been shooting long enough I've seen lots of shooters receive special treatment. They are normally the ones that are polite and considerate. Whether they are National Champion, or the guy setting up the stages at his local match. If you are polite to match staff, you normally get what you need. Mouth off and get obnoxious and there really is no reason for them to go above and beyond to accomodate.

As far as sponsored shooters receiving slots. That's something I have done in the past. If a sponsor wants to donate a bunch of stuff to the match I'll hold a spot for their shooter. Most don't take advantage of that spot. Some donate it to a Junior or Mil. The last A1 I did the sponsorship for had about 6 sponsored shooters but we didn't fill up either. It was easy to fit them in. This year is not a prize table match and Ken did not actively solicit prizes from anyone. The sponsors you see at this match contacted us to donate what they did.

I'm glad I'm in :cheers:

What is the weather "usually" like this time of year?

Thanks to all who are working so hard to put this match on. With this match, I'll have shot more Area 1 matches than that of the area I live in :lol:

Just got down here yesterday. It's hot this weekend but next week should be perfect for the match. Highs of 80-82 and lows in the mid 50's. Couldn't ask for better weather.

Went out and took a look at the range. I was floored. It a week before the match and it look s like they are setting up a world shoot. The Production value at this match is better than anything I've seen at a Nationals. Heck the shoot house looks like nicer than my house. Ken and crew have been putting this together for quite a while and it shows. This isn't the typical, build it Monday to shoot Thursday area match.

Final thing. The raffle gun is done. It looks incredible. Here is the package and what we're goin to do with it. It's a complete open gun package. Full open gun, mags, holster, belt, mag pouches, and 500 rounds of ammo. Everything for someone to try out open. We will be selling raffle tickets during the match. $5 each or 5 for $20. Bring you're money. All the money from the raffle is going to be used for $500 (and whatever is left over) scholarships to the MGM Junior Camp in July. That's more than the camp costs but should help with some of the travel and ammo costs. These scholarships will be offered to Area 1 kids until June 1. Of they aren't all gone we'll turn it over to MGM to help out kids from any area.

I need two things for this to work well. Everyone to buy tickets and the juniors to contact me ASAP to get in line for scholarships. Email me at area1@uspsa.org if you are interested in going.

I would really like to thank the sponsors of this prize package in particular. This was the easiest package to put together. I just thought what would be the coolest thing and called someone at that company. Without havin to ask twice they just gave. Here is the breakdown in no particular order. Safariland-holster, belt, mag pouches, ELS

DC Ammo- 500 rounds 9mm Major ammo

Schuemann Barrel- Barrel And Ti comp

STI-Magazines

Brownells- All the parts, frame, slide, trigger parts, etc

C-More- optic

Springer Precision- IonBond

Cameron's Custom- They put everything together and built one of the finest, most bad ass open guns I've seen. When I looked at my pathetic old open gun in my safe it made me sad. They also donated the scope mount and mag well. I would not have been able to get this done if not for Tony and Eddie at Cameron's. Believe me the $12 we would have raised if I built it would not do much for the Junior program.

All of the above companies were great to work with. We will draw the raffle during the awards on Sunday. You don't have to be there to win but you do have to come to the match to buy tickets. We have about 430 people registered for the match now. Should be a very good chance to walk away with, what I think is, the best prize package ever gIven away in USPSA.

Got to thinking. Does anybody know of an Area match with a higher attendance? I know A6 has been in the high 300's but I've never seen one break 400. Didn't know if that used to happen 80's and 90's or if this is a first. Anyone?

2011 Area 2 had 415

Later,

Chuck

ETA: The 2003 Area 2 had 401 but I seem to recall it did not run all that well and they reset to 350-ish until they had a better handle on it. Last year (2011) ran great!

Edited by ChuckS