Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Gun question

Rob Traynham

Today I shot my first USPSA match. I registered for the production division and shot my M&P 40L. I loaded only 10 rounds in my magazines like the rules stated. At the end of the match I was asked by the match director if I enjoyed my day, which of course I did. Then the conversation turned to what type of pistol I was shooting and I told him. He then stated that I could not shoot the 40S&W in production, only 9mm and 38's. Looking at the rules I see the 38 and 9 listed, but I don't see where it says a stock 40 isn't. Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks.

This is the list of guns that are legal for production. Note that many .40's and .45's are on the list.

http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-production-gunlist.php

I did not see the M&P 40L on the list. I assume it has not yet been approved, but if not that should happen soon.

And therein probably is what he was referring to, in that the M&P 40L is not an approved model. The 9L is on there... but not the 40L

Aztecdriver- that is what I was thinking. Then looked at what OP had said the MD told him and it sure sounds like he was talking about the caliber. I just cannot believe that a MD would think that though.

Edited by Tim/GA

My first thought was did the OP misunderstand the MD. Was the MD saying 40 is not good for production compared to 9 and 38, with the possibility of suggesting Lim10 as a division if he was going to shoot major PF? I have myself suggested to some new shooters that they might be better off shooting Lim10 rather than Prod for that very reason.

The MD specifically said that I needed to shoot 9mm, if I wanted to continue to compete in production.

There's a subtle difference in meaning between "to compete in production" and "be competitive in production". Most production shooters shoot 9mm since production is scored minor, 9mm provides the lowest recoil and is cheap. 9mm isn't the only route to go though as noted above, there are several other guns which are on the approved list that are not 9mm.

Also note that as a counter-example of 9mm being the only way to be competitive: A local shooter here made Master in Production within his first year of shooting with a .40, and loading with a single stage press.

Today I shot my first USPSA match. I registered for the production division and shot my M&P 40L. I loaded only 10 rounds in my magazines like the rules stated. At the end of the match I was asked by the match director if I enjoyed my day, which of course I did. Then the conversation turned to what type of pistol I was shooting and I told him. He then stated that I could not shoot the 40S&W in production, only 9mm and 38's. Looking at the rules I see the 38 and 9 listed, but I don't see where it says a stock 40 isn't. Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks.

While your caliber is fine for Production Division, your gun is not on the list of approved Production guns. http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-production-gunlist.php

If you want/like to run with 10 rounds, fire that bad boy up in Limited-10 division.

And, welcome!

Being new to the sport, and shooting the equipment that I have, I want to compete in the division that gives me the the best chance to be competitive in. So that being said, and my pistol model not yet on the list of approved production guns, what division would I be best off in?

There's a subtle difference in meaning between "to compete in production" and "be competitive in production". Most production shooters shoot 9mm since production is scored minor, 9mm provides the lowest recoil and is cheap.

Ummm... no.

I've been meaning to try .40 loaded to minor.... it's pretty soft.

There's a subtle difference in meaning between "to compete in production" and "be competitive in production". Most production shooters shoot 9mm since production is scored minor, 9mm provides the lowest recoil and is cheap.

Ummm... no.

Very soft indeed. 3.2 of Clay's with a 180 Tc bullet is laughably soft.

Ummm... no.

Very soft indeed. 3.2 of Clay's with a 180 Tc bullet is laughably soft.

LOL! I actually stumbled on the load while shooting with my falling plates league and it was soft that I felt like I was cheating, and I thought that there was no way it would make minor. Maybe I needed to actually chrono that round to see if it does make minor or not.

That sounds like a good solution for the gun you have. If you're shooting factory ammo, declare Major power factor and go for it. Load the mags to 10. When the gun starts loaded (most of the time) you can have 11 in your first mag so you start with 10 in the mag and one in the chamber. Also, for Limited 10, you are not restricted to the same holster and mag pouch placement as you are in Production. However, if you have conventional kydex gear, this may be the most comfortable place to have them.

Good luck.

This is the list of guns that are legal for production. Note that many .40's and .45's are on the list.

http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-production-gunlist.php

I did not see the M&P 40L on the list. I assume it has not yet been approved, but if not that should happen soon.

Just sorta feels like not soon enough! I'm anxiously waiting for the 40L I bought to be put on the production list.