Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Donor Gun?

bradhe

I want to build / have built a steel challenge open gun or a standard 1911 frame. Problem is I live in California and can't practically buy raw frames. So the question is what gun to start with as a donor gun. I can get the Springfield stainless 9mm, and the Kimber stainless 9mm as well as a .45 from those guys, Baer and a variety of others (but then the slide is a throw away). Thoughts on what to do? The last gun I built (Bianchi Cup), I sacrificed a Baer .45 but that is a little spendy

Buy a 1911 chambered in 9mm from either springfield or kimber (which ever is cheaper) and start from there.

You'll be further along than those trying to start with a 1911 chambered in 45 acp.

All you'll need is a scope, scope mount and a cone comp and you should be good to go.

I think the accuracy potential from the stock barrel should work just fine.

Edited by yoshidaex

I want to build / have built a steel challenge open gun or a standard 1911 frame. Problem is I live in California and can't practically buy raw frames. So the question is what gun to start with as a donor gun. I can get the Springfield stainless 9mm, and the Kimber stainless 9mm as well as a .45 from those guys, Baer and a variety of others (but then the slide is a throw away). Thoughts on what to do? The last gun I built (Bianchi Cup), I sacrificed a Baer .45 but that is a little spendy

Why not start with a STI Spartan in 9x19 ? I acquired one as a single shot pistol and it was very nice.

why do you think the slide is a throw away ?

Wrong caliber.

What caliber are you building ? I still dont see why its a throw away slide, buy the gun with the right caliber slide, 5" 9's 40's and 45's are available not sure what else you could want.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts

The only two 1911 9mm's I can buy new in California are the Kimber and the Springfield (Though I want to look into the single shot exemption)

The question I am asking (hopefully from gunsmiths who have enough experiencw with both) is whether the Kimber or the Springfield is a better frame / slide set

Thanks

Edited by bradhe

Thanks everyone for your thoughts

The only two 1911 9mm's I can buy new in California are the Kimber and the Springfield (Though I want to look into the single shot exemption)

The question I am asking (hopefully from gunsmiths who have enough experiencw with both) is whether the Kimber or the Springfield is a better frame / slide set

Thanks

pm sent :D

I would buy the springfield strip the frame and sell everything I did not need on this forum or the 1911 forum. I think you could recoup alot of your money putting you in the same boat as if you had bought a Caspian frame to start with.