Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL for shadow sp01

Loki999

Hi all,

I'm going to start reloading for my cz shadow, and i talked to some shooters who told me that they use a shorter oal for the shadow then for other 9 mm guns. They use 28,7 mm or 1.1299 inch or less.

What oal do you use to have the best accuray? I will use frontier plated bullet 124 grain, winchester small pistol and 4,3 grain VV N320. brass is magtech.

regards Patrick

With the CZs, some bullet profiles hit the rifling. Its best to load some dummy rounds at different lengths to see what will work or chamber by hand in your gun.

I used a chamber reamer to open it up so I could run the same ammo I run in my 1911's.

Hi all,

I'm going to start reloading for my cz shadow, and i talked to some shooters who told me that they use a shorter oal for the shadow then for other 9 mm guns. They use 28,7 mm or 1.1299 inch or less.

What oal do you use to have the best accuray? I will use frontier plated bullet 124 grain, winchester small pistol and 4,3 grain VV N320. brass is magtech.

regards Patrick

When I ran Frontier bullets I had to load them even shorter. You are most likely looking at OAL 1.10".

Remember with shorter OAL it takes less powder for the same bang. Start low and work your way up. Also my advice would be to stay away from Clays, which while Downey soft, does not like to be loaded short at all. I have run IFP 121s at 1.1 and 147s at 1.2.

OP is using Frontier bullets, they have 'fat' nose and hit rifling much sooner.

Patrick, you need to find out OAL for the bullet yourself, first; then start developing load for it.

4.3gr for the bullet seems a little too much. If your OAL is around 1.10", start at lower powder charge like 3.6gr.

The freebore is shorter on the CZ 9mm pistols. The result is than Round Nose are easier for the new reloader to work with, especially the Berry and Precision Delta RN. After that, each bullet has to be considered on its own merits. This because there are tens of bullet nose shapes and hundreds of interpretations of each of those. Just because a MG 124gr FP works at certain OAL does not mean that a Zero 124gr FP will work at the same OAL. Each bullet will have its own max OAL.

Some bullets can get such a short maximum OAL that they should not be used in the CZ. Some bullets, like the XTP, come out shorter than Hornady's own recommendations.

Here's a cartoon to demonstrate some of the issues...

Bullet%252520Shapes.jpg

Suffice it to say that it is easier for you to tell us what bullet you've chosen than for us to tell you OALs.

If you are looking for a starter bullet that will not have problems, then I highly suggest the Berry 124gr Hollow Base RN.

Hope this helps!

Edited by rfwobbly