Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sights lifting

a matt

I spent this afternoon watching my sights lift. But I am going to have to slow down for a match to do this. Probably won't be a bad thing to slow down. Less C's and no D's might even out in scoring.

I spent this afternoon watching my sights lift. But I am going to have to slow down for a match to do this. Probably won't be a bad thing to slow down. Less C's and no D's might even out in scoring.

You definitely do not have to "slow down" to see yur sights lift in a match. Just see the front sight lift.

be

I think I know what you are referring to when you say you will need to slow down. You are at the point where you are tracking the sights and will now take that extra split second to get the sights on the A zone of the target before you squeeze the trigger rather than squeezing the trigger when the gun seems to be aligned with the target only to find out they were not. In reality you will not be slowing down at all because before you were wasting time trying to find the sights to make sure they were pointed in the general direction of the target. You will not need to do that now because you know where the sights are. You will actually be quicker because you are now able to see the sights lift.

another thread that has me thinking...

So I transitioned from FO sights on my glock to a sts.

I have been playing with my grip from insight on this forum but something has me needing advice.

With FO's I could easily see my sight track up and slightly left. The return point was always low. With the sts today, I didn't see the sight lift, which I guess is normal for a dot? No wiggle, but the return point was still low.

So something in my grip is causing this? I can't understand what it is.

What would cause the sights to return low?

I have been playing with my grip from insight on this forum but something has me needing advice.

With FO's I could easily see my sight track up and slightly left. The return point was always low. With the sts today, I didn't see the sight lift, which I guess is normal for a dot? No wiggle, but the return point was still low.

That could be caused by a few things, the most common of which is a death grip on the pistol.

be

That could be because of a few things, the most common of which is a death grip on the pistol.

be

hmmm...

I have weird strength in my hands and thought I was relaxing more, but maybe not...

I will continue to try and relax more.

That makes sense with my grip before...

Thanks b!

Poppa bear you are right. Shot a local match today . Ran a stage my old fast way/ them watched my sights on the same stage ( head shots only this time) time was .02 faster when I watch my sight lift, It was a short stage 3 targets from a desk/ seated 4As & 2Bs. Good stuff. :cheers:

Edited by a matt

Just tell your brain you aren't slowing down...you are just waiting for the sight to be on the center of the target before you break the shot. Why break the shot otherwise?

The key is you are now focused totally on your front sight and by watching it lift you don't have to waste time scanning the targets for hits because you already know where they are. You will be faster AND more accurate than before...It's a Christmas Miracle!

hmmm...

I ... thought I was relaxing more, but maybe not...

From my observations, those shooting with any kind of a weaver stance/grip (and I loosely define that as the strong side arm being straighter than the other)...have a tendency to tighten up the grip as the gun fires, as a means of handling recoil. That will also impact trigger control in a negative manner.

Just tell your brain you aren't slowing down...you are just waiting for the sight to be on the center of the target before you break the shot. Why break the shot otherwise?

The key is you are now focused totally on your front sight and by watching it lift you don't have to waste time scanning the targets for hits because you already know where they are. You will be faster AND more accurate than before...It's a Christmas Miracle!

You're right, it is an awesome thing. This is still something I'm learning. Well, I've learned it, but I still have to remind myself on occasion, and sometimes in the middle of a stage, that it takes no more time to focus on the sights, and call the shots off the front sight rather than wasting time looking at holes in the targets. The more it becomes automatic, with no thinking, and no reminding myself, the faster and more accurate I am.

Good Stuff!

hmmm...

I ... thought I was relaxing more, but maybe not...

From my observations, those shooting with any kind of a weaver stance/grip (and I loosely define that as the strong side arm being straighter than the other)...have a tendency to tighten up the grip as the gun fires, as a means of handling recoil. That will also impact trigger control in a negative manner.

I am one of those that tucks my head into my shoulders. Dunno why, but 20 years of shooting and not thinking about this stuff and I can't stop. I noticed when I tuck, my right arm has tension in it. Not a lot, but more than my left (weak) arm. If I dry fire with my head up, this tension goes away. I know that I bob my head while moving to a new position, but when I tuck my head my index is right on. When my head is up, I slow way down and look for the sights to align.

SO, is it better to relearn the index and keep my head up and just work on the new POA? (Not sure if that is actually a new POA since I am dropping my head right?) Or work on just keeping my head down all the time?

I feel like I am going backwards...I just hope there is some forward movement soon. ;)

Captain Overthink.

Edited by jswitt99

Next time you practice, just shoot at the berm without aiming at anything. Learn to watch the FS.

A few of the best (as in most precisely called) shots I ever fired were at a target that wasn't there.

One year I was practicing the stage The Speed Option (for the Steel Challenge). It was almost dark - I could just barely see the targets or the sights. Each target was mounted at the top of a 4x4" wood post. The Option plate (at 25 yards) had been missed low so many times that the wood stand was finally shot completely through, and the target fell off. I still wanted to get some more runs in, so when my gun got to the Option Plate, I just paused over the top of what was left of the 4x4" target stand, and triggered of a nice called shot, looking right at the front sight. Without a target, those were some of the best shots I ever fired / called.

be