Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scheumann AET cleaning

RippSpeed

I heard you cant clean your Scheumann AET Barrel with a copper brush ??? All my shooting buddies say they run nothing but bore snake thru it and nothing else no oil or anything ... Whats your guys cleaning regiment???

I'm asking cuz I'm a cleaning whore... I like cleaning my guns after every range, spend 1 to 2 hrs on each and detail clean them once every 2 months even though they've been in the safe the whole time...

Edited by RippSpeed

Download Scheumann's instructions here

http://www.schuemann.com/Information/tabid/67/Default.aspx

My Personal Practice has become to never clean the bore of my barrels. I do use a brass rod to scrape the deposits out of the chamber. But, I've learned to leave the bore alone and it very slowly becomes shinier and cleaner all by itself. Years ago I occasionally scrubbed the bore with a brass bore brush. But, doing so always seemed to cause the bore to revert to a dirtier look with more shooting, so I eventually stopped ever putting anything down the bore except bullets...

so you dont clean your barrel even running a bore snake thru it ??? No oil to keep it from rusting or anything ??? What about a patch ???

I shooting Montana Golds only ... Most likely wont shoot lead but if money gets tight then it I would be shooting some bayou bullets...

so you dont clean your barrel even running a bore snake thru it ??? No oil to keep it from rusting or anything ??? What about a patch ???

I shooting Montana Golds only ... Most likely wont shoot lead but if money gets tight then it I would be shooting some bayou bullets...

If you get rust in your bore your not shooting enough :D

If you get rust in your bore your not shooting enough :D

I wish I was able to shoot more but my work schedule ... I only get to shoot USPSA twice month... But I do punch paper @ an indoor range near me at least once a week...

I have an AET in one of my open guns that I only run Zero, jhps in, and occasionally push a wet patch of "Shooter's Choice", followed by a dry patch, but, I've never run a brush through it.

FYI, a boresnake has a brush. :surprise:

I've always struggled with Schuemann's advice on many levels. It flies in the face of a hundred years of smokeless powder shooting across the globe and it does not seem logical when faced with shooting lead. I totally agree that some folks overclean their guns to the point where it wears on the gun more than the shooting does, but on the whole, I'll continue to clean my bores with an eye towards being gentle.

I just cant see not cleaning bores with a copper brush, just seems like it would be impossible to effect a steel barrel with just a few swipes with a brush. I have been doing it for years, although as I age, I clean less. As far as I can tell it has never effected the barrel. Especially if I shoot lead, it seems the more I shoot the smokier "poss spell ck needed" it gets. IMHO

Edited by pbosik

I've always struggled with Schuemann's advice on many levels. It flies in the face of a hundred years of smokeless powder shooting across the globe and it does not seem logical when faced with shooting lead. I totally agree that some folks overclean their guns to the point where it wears on the gun more than the shooting does, but on the whole, I'll continue to clean my bores with an eye towards being gentle.

There will always be those that must clean the bore. I met Will years ago and stopped cleaning my bores after talking with him. I only use good powder and jacketed or plated bullets. After many of hundreds of thousands of rounds later, I concur with his conclusions. Even my high rounds count guns have not been negatively affected by cleaning the the bore with bullets.

The need for cleaning the bore after shooting started with black powder, and ended with the demise of corrosive primers.

It was correct, and necessary for a good many years. No longer.

Stop living in the past.

Edited by wide45

If I could afford to shoot only jacketed/plated bullets, I could see not scrubbing out the bore. I shoot lead for practice and pull a lot of it out of the bore on my every-other-week cleaning schedule. If I only saw a shiny bore after 1,000 rounds or so I would be a believer as well. Maybe one day I can go on a jacketed only diet.