Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Typical headshot range?

KungFuNerd

C.W. is correct. That said, some local clubs will fudge on distance from time to time or there may be partially obscured targets at greater distances which present small targets for "0 down" hits. I like to practice at distances longer than those expected in a match. This can make hits at shorter distances seem easy...sometimes.

As above 10 yards in the rule book. If that's all you can do, it will hurt when some MD argues that a clay or steel plate @ 25 yards despite being smaller than a "head" is legal because the book only says "head shots required" not "head sized or smaller targets."

• 3 weeks later...

wak; the stage has 3 weak hand head shots from 7 yds followed by 4 more targets and is a limited loading stage to start, you will run out of ammo before finished and have to retrieve more magazines from your 'wounded partner' a dummy with a mag holder on with your ammo in it, most will finish the stage kneeling or prone. 18 round total stsge. We shot it before last year, its a good stage.

Edited by varmint

• 2 months later...

Regardless of the range of the shot, try shooting an entire match, by shooting only head shots. I've done this several times. It's great practice! Sure, you probably won't win the match, but it's terrific practice. It also makes you better, the next time you shoot a match and go for COM hits. I've done it with a Glock 26 before, too.

go here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWG2pwM6IfQ and watch from 35sec to 52sec,i was the SO on this stage and the 2 moving targets in the back appeared 3 times ,if you weren't fast enough to get them on a couple times you ended up with 15yrd head shots,all targets required 3 shots each,and could be shot in any order..if you didnt engage the slider,it ended up with a head shot only..

Steve,

I am pretty sure that the use of UTV's in IDPA is prohibited unless the cargo area is filled with some sort of animal dung. For the love of Christ, this was in rules clarification section of the IDPA forum. Don't you people read theInternett? WTF! I need a clarification from RR and I will be asking the Tiger Teams to address this travesty!

Regardless of the range of the shot, try shooting an entire match, by shooting only head shots. I've done this several times. It's great practice! Sure, you probably won't win the match, but it's terrific practice. It also makes you better, the next time you shoot a match and go for COM hits. I've done it with a Glock 26 before, too.

I always figured the match was for winning and practice sessions were there to make me better.

Pat

• 3 weeks later...

10 yards is the max per rules, but if you practice longer, you will be more confident. In ZSA, we offer "bonus" Zombies, head shots greater than 10 yards as time saving (3 secs off for each hit) but they are generally surrounded by "Meals" (no shoots) so you must use the sights!!! It has helped many of our shooters when they go back to IDPA, the head shots no longer are a concern.