Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 3 gun build -Hanguard

sbpt1911

Hi all, I am ordering parts to build my first "competition" rifle.

I ordered an 18" barrel, and would like to know what handguard you all are using. I am looking at the Troy TRX extreme 13" or 15". Or maybe a carbon fiber?

+1 for the PRI if you go carbon fiber. If you don't want to break the bank with PRI Check out LOKIs new 15" carbon tube. It's price and quality is hard to beat.

Right now I'm using the new Samson Evolution 15" hand-guard on my Stag rifle.. It is very similar to the Troy tube u mentioned.

The Samson will slide during constant firing, and in the longer lengths it does not take well to large amounts of pressure being put on it.

The pri is just as heavy as any other light weight all aluminum tube because of the gigantic mounting coupler, and the natural finish ones get hot as hell in sunlight.

For me the Midwest SS is about a good a compromise as I have found. Light, strong and has a good mounting system oh and decently priced. I use this the most as it just seems to cover a large area of applications.

I have a Nordic on order right now for another new build and this will be my first time using it. It is a couple oz heavier than the stripped SS.

Check out Post #13 on the Firebird barrel nut: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=121475&pid=1425526&st=0entry1425526

I am rather partial to the Carbon Feather handguard. It is very light and very durable.

Unless you are going to get JP to Thermo-fit a barrel for you, the Firdbird nut offers the best accuracy available. The Carbon Feather is a simple direct bolt to the Firebird nut.

The Samson will slide during constant firing, and in the longer lengths it does not take well to large amounts of pressure being put on it.

The pri is just as heavy as any other light weight all aluminum tube because of the gigantic mounting coupler, and the natural finish ones get hot as hell in sunlight.

For me the Midwest SS is about a good a compromise as I have found. Light, strong and has a good mounting system oh and decently priced. I use this the most as it just seems to cover a large area of applications.

I have a Nordic on order right now for another new build and this will be my first time using it. It is a couple oz heavier than the stripped SS.

Please elaborate on your comments on the Samson tube. I put 2-3k on mine this month practicing and shooing the RM3G and i haven't noticed any issues. But I'm not sure what you mean.

I put my PRI tube with the mounting hardware on a scale and then compared it to a 12" JP/VTAC tube and it was significantly lighter. The PRI weighed only 13.8 oz w/barrel nut, sling swivel adapter and a 3" bi pod rail. The JP was over 20 oz. With similar accessories.

The Samson I had would slide forward off of the bushing it clamps on to as it was shot. I loved the weight of the rail, and the how easy it was to hold, but no matter what I did (short of putting red lock tight on it. It would slowly slide forward. I had the 15" version mounted on a 16 oal length carbine and when pressure was applied via fore grip or bipid it would bend far enough to hit the claymore muzzle device. I was very disappointed because as I said it was a favorite of mine before I tested it.

I consider a lightweight aluminum handguard to be under 14 oz. There are several on that list from DD to MWI, even the 12" Nordic comes in around there. The PRI has no real advantage in the weight dept due to the gigantic coupler. I have noticed some newer brands of CF handguards (that I have not tried yet) have a much simpler and lighter system. I have built guns with almost every name handguard (except larue because I refuse to use that brand) and they all get weighed before and after. However I weigh everything as it comes Bare, nothing mounted on it.

My findings are that it is very hard to beat the value of a MWI SS. I am not bashing products but just reporting my personal findings.

Edited by bpipe95

Thanks for the info on the Samson. I'll keep an eye on mine now for sure.

Do u have any hard numbers on the tube weights? Id love to see a comparison of all these popular tubes with numbers coming from the same scale. Its tough to compare the manufacturers spec numbers. The 2 or 3 that I have weighed always seem to be heavier than the manufacturers quoted numbers.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

I have a couple Samson Evolutions. I did have an issue with one sliding, but it was because I did not tighten the clamp screws enough when I first installed it. I gave them another 1/2 turn and it hasn't moved since. I don't use a bipod or vertical grip, so I can't comment on it putting pressure on the tube. But, shooting off barricades, trees, cars, tables and the back of a deaf mule has not caused any POI problems for me.

edit for spelling!

Edited by Bryan 45

Check out Post #13 on the Firebird barrel nut: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=121475&pid=1425526&st=0entry1425526

I am rather partial to the Carbon Feather handguard. It is very light and very durable.

Unless you are going to get JP to Thermo-fit a barrel for you, the Firdbird nut offers the best accuracy available. The Carbon Feather is a simple direct bolt to the Firebird nut.

How does the Firebird nut aid accuracy?

I've been VERY happy with my Loki 15" aluminum hand guard. It's crazy light. I can't remember the exact specs, but it was lighter than several other makers carbine length hand guards.

IMG_5079.jpg

Edited by serevince

I've been VERY happy with my Loki 15" aluminum hand guard. It's crazy light. I can't remember the exact specs, but it was later than several other makers carbine length hand guards.

IMG_5079.jpg

Thats the 14.5" Aluminum? looks nice.

How does the Firebird nut aid accuracy?

Explained in the referenced post

I've been VERY happy with my Loki 15" aluminum hand guard. It's crazy light. I can't remember the exact specs, but it was later than several other makers carbine length hand guards.

IMG_5079.jpg

Looks like they changed models. Mine is old style 15". Mine has ribs and 8 rail attachment points. New version looks smooth with 6?

Vince

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

IMG_5079.jpg

Looks like they changed models. Mine is old style 15". Mine has ribs and 8 rail attachment points. New version looks smooth with 6?

Vince

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Compared to past photos of their rifles, it looks like Loki switched from the ATI forearm to a Nordic forearm. I've been quietly wondering why they switched.