Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best baked on carbon remover

mizer67

I'm sure everyone has their special sauce, but how do you get all the difficult, baked on carbon out of the grooves of your pistol barrels?

Brushes, CLP, Kroil and Hoppes #9 isn't doing the trick in a couple of new barrels of mine.

Still have streaks of hard, baked on carbon left behind I can't get out with patching and brushes.

I've used Mercury Engine Cleaner, which is probably the same as Evinrude, on my AR BCGs ever since I've had an AR, about 23 years now. Damn, has it been that long? MUCH faster & better results than CLP as used when wearing the BDUs.

Didn't think of that one, I think all are the same basic chemical at least they smell the same.

I think they probably are. They are not the same as carburetor or break cleaner products, it's made for outboard motors and both cleans and coats the parts. My friend says that with regular use, carbon build up actually deceases.

I'm a marine mechanic. I use Mercury's power tune or Evinrude"s(which ever I have on the bench at the time). Works real well on my open guns comp. The stuff is made to decarbon 2 stoke engines and does it quickly. Pick up a can you will be amazed.

Edited by donnyglock