Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eye drops

You'd think an MD would not have to learn this the hard way, but no...

While a lubricating drop is a good idea if you are wearing contacts in dry conditions, any drop that contains a vasoconstricting agent (Visine, or NaphConA, by way of examples) will just KILL your ability to focus.

So, if looking good is more important than seeing well, then don't expect to hit anything.

:blink:

An opthomologist can aim you at any number of eye drops that will stop the inflammation in your eyes that make them red... as opposed to tying to brute force the blood vessels using a constrictor. They have me on Alocril which is pretty decent. There are some stronger ones with steroidal anti inflammatories.

One thing that bugs me is how little press is given to just how nasty OTC eye drops are (read: vasoconstrictors). Extended use of Visine-type products will leave the blood vessels in your eyes permanently dialated. Once my doctor explained what that crap did and the side effects (permanently red eyes - or at least for a very long time) I never touched it again.

The problem with it, is that after the "Visine" constricts your blood vessels to eliminate the redness, the blood vessels expand larger than they were before to compensate for the lack of blood flow. Extended use just spirals into a cycle where the only way you can ever have "clear" eyes is to apply the vasoconstrictors continuously.

I'm not a doctor, but I would highly recommend never putting that junk in your eyes for any reason.

I've had a bit of a problem with dry eyes over the last few years. Most of it stems from work and staring (w/o blinking) at laptop screens for 8-12 hrs a day. Anyway, a co-worker who's wife works for an optomitrist gave me some GenTeal drops. Man, this stuff is like Slide-Glide for your peepers. Now, these drops do blur my vision for a bit, but it goes away in about 10 minutes or so. I think the trick with these is like staying hydrated: use them before you really need them. My eyes really get dry about halfway through the match, so I put the drops in about 10 minutes or so b/f the shooters meeting at a match. Works for me.

Here's a link Novartis Opthamolics look for the GenTeal link on the right

This gets my vote as the most important post regarding health that we have seen this year. And I just bought a new bottle. I really don't need it. I rather have some red-eye and see well. Thanks for letting us know!

I was using NaphCon because it was readily available, inexpensive and reasonably effective for eye allergy symptoms (I was more interested in reducing itching and discomfort than having clear eyes). Visine I didn't use, but mentioned as a commonly used preparation for red eyes available over the counter (OTC). Steroids work great, but have their own set of medical complications that give me pause. Now, for allergy symptoms, I use an off label preparation (MD using a med other than as recommended by the manufacturer/FDA, at his own risk, on his own self only).

I use Refresh drops (OTC) for lubrication (soft extended wear lenses). In hot and dry, low humidity conditions, I put them in right before I am called on deck. My vision sharpens dramatically, and it isn't just from anticipation. Putting them in right before shooting didn't work well, because the lenses would still be floating from the excess drops, making my vision fluctuate too much.

Sounds like the GenTeal drops last longer? I don't see them in my drug references. Is it Rx only, or OTC?

---

Ah, found the website. I haven't been detailed (pitched to by a drug company representative) on this, since I am a pediatrician, and don't see reps anyway. Are you using the gel, Dave? Do you wear contacts?

Edited by kevin c

Yeah, my boy also uses those use once then throw away plastic drop containers - great for grubby range bags, pants pockets full of fired brass, or kids who'd forget to wear pants to school if his mother didn't remind him (and his dad, for that matter :D )/

• 2 weeks later...
I'll just keep my Bolle-glasses nicely fitted into my safety-glasses, adviced by my opthomologist and never buy contacts.

I have Bolle shields and Rx inserts too, but I am both very near and far sighted at the same time. I don't like the need to change head positions required by bi/tri focals, whether they are no-line, transitional or not (at least not for shooting). I also hate carrying and wearing glasses when not required to.

My compromise is to have one eye corrected for distance (nondominant eye) and the other, dominant eye corrected to front sight distance, which is also good enough for me to read with. I have driving glasses to wear with my contacts that let me see 20/20 on the road, and the inserts for my Bolle's are the same as my driving lenses, letting me use a scope (or dot sight, if I ever go Open).

• 2 months later...

i'm an ophthalmologist and, yes, stay away from any eye preparation with tetrahydrozoline (visine and eye-mo red cap). It'll lead to a vicious cycle. We call that a rebound reaction, wherein the vessels dilate to a bigger size when the effect of the vasoconstrictor wears off.

artificial tear substitutes and lubricating agents are better. GenTeal, Tears Naturale, Refresh, etc. are all very good. those who wear contact lenses should use a preservative free preparation (the ones in small bottles) or your contacts will be discolored by the preservative.

have a nice day gents! :-)

I was using NaphCon because it was readily available, inexpensive and reasonably effective for eye allergy symptoms (I was more interested in reducing itching and discomfort than having clear eyes).

I use the antihistamine eyedrops, but I've never had a problem as described above.

Does anyone make eyedrops with just the antihistamine (pheniramine maleate), but without the decongestant/vasoconstrictor (tetrahydrozoline, naphazoline hydrochloride, etc.)? Or would the antihist. be ineffective without the latter?

Yeah, cousin EC ... I do!

I don't really have any trouble with dryness, so I don't need to do the other. But it would be okay to use the Naphcon/Visine-A/etc. as directed when I'm not shooting, then?

Cool ... salamat po!

While a lubricating drop is a good idea if you are wearing contacts in dry conditions, any drop that contains a vasoconstricting agent (Visine, or NaphConA, by way of examples) will just KILL your ability to focus.

So, if looking good is more important than seeing well, then don't expect to hit anything.

:blink:

Vasoconstrictors being sympathomimetics also dilate your pupil a bit. Accomodation which is a process which happens when we focus on near objects like the front sight in our case entails pupillary constriction among other things. The net effect is that your ability to focus is diminished as stated by kevin c.

For those with dry eyes, the decreased blood flow caused by the vasoconstriction also affects the tear glands affecting the production of tears, thereby drying your eyes more. Artificial lubricants therefore are the recommended route.

Hope you're still awake, sorry to bore you with the details :D I'm an Ophthalmologist too, same as Eye Cutter ;)

Rhino,

kabayan, you might like to try some oral anti-allergy meds (non-sedating) - falls under the generic name of Ebastine 10 mg or Fexofenadine 80 mg once daily. If the nasal symptoms are controlled, your eye symptoms will likewise be controlled. Hope this helps.

Am an Eye MD too like eyecutter and doctabako. Regards.

Lino :)

Man, you guys are pushing me to go to med school, then do surgey and ophthalmology residencies! Hoy!

You guys should all shoot on the same squad someday ... and have a big eyeball on your shirts!

Lino ... I'm already taking Loratadine (20mg per day), and that helps quite a bit. The spring and late summer here in Indiana are tough, though!

Eye cutter,

you guessed it right. I'm into IPSC shotgun and occasionally Sporting Clays for several years now.

Unlike Rhino, my big tummy and my lower back is not user friendly to fast pistol shooting like you younger guys can.

Regards.

Rhino,

Loratadine does not work well among my patients. Other non-sedating meds might help you better. I think Fexofenadine comes under the trade name of plain Allegra - and is available over the counter at your end.

Lino

Doctor Rhino, hmm, there's a nice ring to it! What d'ya say? Enroll in Med school this term? hehehe

I tried back in spring of 1994 ... I even spent 1992-94 taking post baccalaureate pre-med classes and I took the MCAT (scored a 30).

Unfortunately I was rejected, even though the average student accepted at Indiana University School of Medicine has a 24-25 MCAT score at that time (and I did it without taking any prep courses, which is unheard of!).

Rejected!!

On the bright side, I have since learned that I want no part of the business related to the medical profession as it stands in the USA right now. So they did a favor for me, although it was unintentional. ;)

Unlike Rhino, my big tummy and my lower back is not user friendly to fast pistol shooting like you younger guys can.

Hey, Cousin Lino! I'll bet cash folding money my belly is bigger! Since my surgery (L4-L5 laminectomy and disc excision) on 01-Nov-2001 and subsequent physical therapy, my back is better than it has been since high school ... but it's still in need of special precautions!

So I just go slow and steady when I shoot pistol, shotgun, or rifle!

From my scores in big matches, I'm an embarrassment to our people, but I do my best! ;)

Loratadine does not work well among my patients. Other non-sedating meds might help you better. I think Fexofenadine comes under the trade name of plain Allegra - and is available over the counter at your end.

Okay, I'll check it out. I take 20mg instead of 10mg because the normal dose wasn't helping my sinus problems. I assume body mass is playing a role there. I'll look for the generic Fexofenadine/Allegra®, although I've not seen it locally yet. I used to take Allegra®'s predecessor (Seldane) before it was removed from the market, and it seemed to work pretty well. Thanks for the advice!