Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practicing Movement

Tizzo

Exactly what the title says. How does someone practice movement in confined spaces? I live in a split entry town home, with no hallways or even enough space in a given room to move much due to furniture. I've thought about practicing outside, but am hesitant with an airsoft gun; you know how people can be these days.

Is anyone in a similar situation as me? I feel that not being able to practice movement is hampering my ability to improve, because the only time I get to do movement is during matches.

Thanks for any input.

Move your furniture around to give you a little more space? Maybe figure out a way to start behind the couch then move around it and then move to the bathroom door, etc etc. You don't need a football field's worth of space to practice movement drills. Most of the stage movements are short burts anyway. Practice shooting around both sides of a couch and work on getting the 5-6' covered quickly and efficiently.

When I lived in a split level I turned the whole house into a stage for dry fire.

You'll need to be creative, but you can do short movement drills just about anywhere.

Start on toilet, retrieve gun, move down hall and engage target as it becomes visible.

Pants around ankles is optional. Shorts are faster. :)

SA

My movement skills peaked when I lived in a 12 X 14 barracks room in Ewa Hi, was bored alot so did a lot of setup and around corner to bathroom starts, reloading wile moving etc, Now I have 10 acres and never practice,

The movement training is actually stopping, Stopping and setting up on first target is what eats your time, only need a few steps to get moving come to a corner and set on a paper 1/3rd scale target on the wall.,

Move the furniture, or go outside, if they neighbors didnt like it I'd tell em to bite me.

Think of it as an advantage. I'm a college student and have effectively a 12'x4' area I can practice movement in. Bigger space available when my roommates aren't home fortunately, but that's not often.

What does that mean? All my reloads get done within the first few steps :D

I practiced reloads and movement in a hotel room for years. I worked in CA for a number of years. I was able to leave a bag at the hotel and just bring the next weeks clothes with me. I also left my SS and gear.

My sense was I wanted to practice dropping my mag and reloading with a step or two. I also put little yellow stickies on the walls, pictures, windows and doors.

I believe in movement drills there are two very important issues; first two steps and the last three steps. The in between stuff is just exercise.

I think someone recently posted Kippi once set her small apartment up as a dry fire area.

This is a dry fire drill I've been using.

I have a decent size shop and set 4 target arrays about 10 yds inside each garage door. I then move parallel to the shop and practice getting on the 1st target quickly as it becomes visible, set up for the middle two and transition to the last one on my way out of the door opening. I reload in between doors.

Seems to work well, but requires some space.

This is a dry fire drill I've been using.

I have a decent size shop and set 4 target arrays about 10 yds inside each garage door. I then move parallel down the outside of shop and practice getting on the 1st target quickly as it becomes visible through the door. I then set up for the middle two and transition to the last one on my way out of the door opening. I reload in between doors.

Seems to work well, but requires some space.

I would add that maybe you should think of movement as the last steps, or set up. You know, not to sound brash, but we all know how to get from A to B quickly. What we lack, myself included, is arriving ready to shoot. You don't need a lot of space to setup scenarios of arriving to a position.

Things to think about:

1. Is your gun up pointed at the target?

2. Are you arriving with your grip intact.

3. Are your sights aligned/ dot visible?

4. Is your stance such that you can engage the array and then leave quickly? Some guys come in good, shoot good, but then they have that shuffle or extra step because their setup didn't take leaving quickly into account. This is why some A's, most M's, and almost all GM's look smooth and

fluid. They always consider the EXIT!

All this is movement and can be done in a very small room.

You might consider buying some 1/2 inch PVC pipe and some elbows and making a barricade. Done right, you just slip a pillow case over the top for a vision barrier. It all slips together and apart quickly and stores very easily.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I would add that maybe you should think of movement as the last steps, or set up. You know, not to sound brash, but we all know how to get from A to B quickly. What we lack, myself included, is arriving ready to shoot. You don't need a lot of space to setup scenarios of arriving to a position.

Things to think about:

4. Is your stance such that you can engage the array and then leave quickly? Some guys come in good, shoot good, but then they have that shuffle or extra step because their setup didn't take leaving quickly into account. This is why some A's, most M's, and almost all GM's look smooth and

You might consider buying some 1/2 inch PVC pipe and some elbows and making a barricade. Done right, you just slip a pillow case over the top for a vision barrier. It all slips together and apart quickly and stores very easily.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info, this is why I like this place.

Things to think about:

Good luck.

I have been wondering about this too.. These are great things to think about, things that I haven't thought about!

• 3 weeks later...

Things to think about:

Good luck.

Great pointers