Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stippling Info Needed

Philip Dedmon

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On average, how much time does it take to complete on pistol?

Depends on the complexity of your pattern, the size of your tip etc. You can do a crappy stipple job in about 15 minutes if you dont particularly care how it looks.

McGlock,

What tip did you use to do that? Do you possibly have pics of the tip? I was looking to get the same type of surface. Thanks.

I used a cheap Wally world (walmart) soldering iron in the automotive section.. I pulled the tip out and reversed it which gave me a beveled circle.

• 2 weeks later...

I just stippled it without reducing or filling anything. I have a G21 that was reduced and stippled by Southpaw customs and it's nice. A buddy close showed me how on his G35 and he double undercut the trigger guard and it feels nice as well. As I said it isn't perfect but for $20 it turned out pretty nice in my eyes, besides it'll sonn be covered in pro-grip anyhow :)

100_0344-1.jpg

What tip did you use?

I just stippled it without reducing or filling anything. I have a G21 that was reduced and stippled by Southpaw customs and it's nice. A buddy close showed me how on his G35 and he double undercut the trigger guard and it feels nice as well. As I said it isn't perfect but for $20 it turned out pretty nice in my eyes, besides it'll sonn be covered in pro-grip anyhow :)

100_0344-1.jpg

What tip did you use?

this one....

tip.jpg

100_0344-1.jpg

What tip did you use?

this one....

tip.jpg

Assuming that is a wood burner then. thanks

• 2 weeks later...

For you guys stippling your own - do you just stipple over the serrations on the front and rear straps or do you have to sand those areas down first to make them smooth? I have stippled the MOE grip & handguard on my AR and want to do this to my glock. I have already stippled indexing points on the front of the frame for my trigger finger and under the trigger guard for my support hand. I just need to know how to do the front and rear straps. I don't plan on touching the sides too much since this is my carry piece and I dont want it rubbing on me or sticking to my clothes.

thanks

Famous187,

The way I did it is to use the soldering iron to smooth out the factory texture on the front and backstraps to have a uniform base to start on.

Personally, I don't think there's any good in removing material.

For you guys stippling your own - do you just stipple over the serrations on the front and rear straps or do you have to sand those areas down first to make them smooth? I have stippled the MOE grip & handguard on my AR and want to do this to my glock. I have already stippled indexing points on the front of the frame for my trigger finger and under the trigger guard for my support hand. I just need to know how to do the front and rear straps. I don't plan on touching the sides too much since this is my carry piece and I dont want it rubbing on me or sticking to my clothes.

thanks

I used a candle and heated just to the point that I could flatten out those areas. I used a mirror to roll once heated. After that I sanded down the rough areas so the stippled areas would be uniform.

Having switched to the Gen-4, largely because of the smaller grip circumference which fits my small hands better, now the Gen-3 feels too large. I'm seriously considering taking down and stippling the grip on my old Gen-3 G17. Also I want to get rid of the finger grooves which I've never liked. I'm thinking I should not take the grenade checkering all the way off, but maybe about half, yes? If I took it off totally I might risk punching the iron all the way through the grip, also might get the material so thin that grip pressure could prevent the mag from falling free during a load.

I realize the fastest way to take off material might be a belt sander, but I kind of like the idea of the greater control afforded by the Dremel. What would be the best Dremel wheel for this job? Did anyone find it necessary to do the "wipe off the tip with water after every dimple" thing that G-ManBart mentioned in his instructions on stippling the STI grip? He says he doesn't believe that's necessary for a black grip, but still....

Of the photos I've seen here, I like the fine patterns with lots of small dimples better than the big, deep dimples. Also I may be using this gun for concealed carry in the future - I've certainly done it enough in the past - and don't want something so rough it would wear a hole in the lining of a concealing garment.

Having switched to the Gen-4, largely because of the smaller grip circumference which fits my small hands better, now the Gen-3 feels too large. I'm seriously considering taking down and stippling the grip on my old Gen-3 G17. Also I want to get rid of the finger grooves which I've never liked. I'm thinking I should not take the grenade checkering all the way off, but maybe about half, yes? If I took it off totally I might risk punching the iron all the way through the grip, also might get the material so thin that grip pressure could prevent the mag from falling free during a load.

I realize the fastest way to take off material might be a belt sander, but I kind of like the idea of the greater control afforded by the Dremel. What would be the best Dremel wheel for this job? Did anyone find it necessary to do the "wipe off the tip with water after every dimple" thing that G-ManBart mentioned in his instructions on stippling the STI grip? He says he doesn't believe that's necessary for a black grip, but still....

Of the photos I've seen here, I like the fine patterns with lots of small dimples better than the big, deep dimples. Also I may be using this gun for concealed carry in the future - I've certainly done it enough in the past - and don't want something so rough it would wear a hole in the lining of a concealing garment.

Duane,

I used a sanding wheel and dremel for the finger grooves. After wards various grit sand paper to smooth out before stippling. I never wiped the tip with water, just hit it with sand paper a few times throughout the process.

I did very small dimples. I would basically just touch the grip with the gun as fast as I could. Still very sticky, but not rough at all. If mine wasn't an open gun I would carry it. Be carefull not to do the stipple too high around the beavertail area as this could be irritating when firing.

If I did it again, I would spend more time sanding the entire grip area before stippling. The raised areas along the sides of the grip need to be completely feathered out or you will see the outline with fine stippling.

100_0344-1.jpg

What tip did you use?

this one....

tip.jpg

Assuming that is a wood burner then. thanks

Used tip pretty close to that one or prob the same, practiced on several other things and it looked good. The texture did not feel good though. There was any increase in grip bc texture was not aggressive enough. If start lean towards stippling I will just send my Hun in.