Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stippling Info Needed

Philip Dedmon

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with cdpmatt that its easier to do it your self just get some practice plastic and a soldering iron and start burning plastic tell you get the burning to a consistent pattern its not hard just a little practice and patience and you will be a pro to i ask a gunsmith how he learned this is what he told me hope this helps

If you want to send it out, Cold Bore Customs has done some nice work imo...

I did my own also. Practiced on some extra 870 stocks for 5 min. Really easy, just have to have patience.

Matt-

Nice job. Did you do grip reduction also? Heat method or fill and grind? Do you find your thumb getting raw with the stippling all the way up the back strap?

Edited by jswitt99

I just stippled it without reducing or filling anything. I have a G21 that was reduced and stippled by Southpaw customs and it's nice. A buddy close showed me how on his G35 and he double undercut the trigger guard and it feels nice as well. As I said it isn't perfect but for $20 it turned out pretty nice in my eyes, besides it'll sonn be covered in pro-grip anyhow :)

100_0344-1.jpg

Edited by CDPMatt

as far as my thumb getting raw, I haven't shot this gun yet at all as it was new in the box but my G21 is done the same and it's awesome.... my Open 2011 has a rough Get-n-grip and I love it. I guess you could say I like it rough.... :ph34r:

I gave my Glock 22 the complete Accurate Iron treatment by Mike Cyrwus. I love the grip stippling, Mike is super busy these days with 2011 and shotgun builds.

+2

Here is my Accurate Iron G34.

http://www.accurate-iron.com/

Sometimes Facebook is the best way to reach these young guys.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Accurate-Iron/186771921345141

Glock34-AccurateIronWork.jpg

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

+1 for Mike at AI. My G34 is amazing. It looks good, and once you lock down on it the gun can't move at all. I'll be taking my G35 limited gun to him in the next few months.

Jim Hart of GetNGrip did all my Glocks and even STI grips ... i wish he would go back to doing his magic..

i have also had some work by Mike Cyrus he is also a pleasure to work with ...awesome stippling jobs

I raised the beavertail area, raised the area under the trigger guard and removed the finger grooves. I did a little at the time and would grip the gun and get a sight picture in between. I love the feel now. It is literally custom fitted to my hand. After I stippled, I hit it with a sanding block until I achieved the desired "bite". You can remove a considerable amount high in the rear of the grip, lower down you would need to fill prior to shaping. There are plenty of videos on Youtube on the process. I practiced on some spare AR grips trying to get it pretty, but ended up just doing a random stipple. While I do like "pretty" weapons, this is my EDC so it doesn't matter.

Glockredux.jpg

I'll third the suggestion that stippling is a completely feasible DIY project. If you're looking into doing it yourself, the tapered chisel tips usually work better (in my experiences) than the standard non-tapered tip.

David Bowie (based up here in OH) does nice looking work for the poly-framed guns- stippling, grip reductions, et al.

post-33542-0-67257000-1312646517_thumb.j

Philip - the stippling is Production legal. Just for clarification, the stippling is one of my DIY jobs (90mins and $15 soldering iron), not one done by Bowie's shop.

As far as the magazine release goes, I'm in the process of swapping for a OEM part which (if I understand the rules) is legal for Production.

• 5 weeks later...