Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P .40 pro limited - need advice

czambesi

I am a new shooter (USPSA) and invested in a M&P pro .40. I am going to shoot limited/ major (I shoot normal 180 grain rds) I know I need to spend a ton of money on ammo and range fees, need alot of pratice to get better. I was going to start upgrading the firearm while I do this.

I was looking at SSS-

What should I start with? AEK kit? Guide rod? Barrel?

Just looking for some advice or feedback.

Thanks everyone!

Chris

Depends on budget you have i started with 3 mag ext and magwell and new recoil springs. I do have on order the Comp AEK. Im also new to limited but this will at least get you started. Also JMIS has a good post going on his limited build almost the same as mine. I did replace the captured rod with a SS one.

Edited by Roundguy

czambesi> All you really need is the APEX Competition spring kit. Then get it to a competent gun smith and they should be able to build a very good trigger for you. The other APEX parts are nice if all you want to do is drop in parts. But are a waste of money as you can build a nice trigger without them. The only extra part that APEX makes that will make a significant difference in the reset feel is the RAM. The RAM is well worth the money to get a positive reset feel to the trigger especially when you use the lighter competition trigger spring. If you are going to replace the Guide Rod spend extra money on the tungsten version as the extra weight will help reduce muzzle flip. If you are competing in Limited division you will need extended base pads for your magazines and the Taylor Freelance ones work well with the SSS Limited Mag well. You will probably need a 13lb or 15lb recoil spring to go with the tungsten guide rod but this depend a lot on your grip. I wouldn’t waste money on replacing the stock barrel. The stock barrel is plenty accurate and it would be just as good to shoot it until its worn out then replace it later. Other than what I suggested you may want to swap out the front sight as the stock one that comes with the Pro is a little wide. Dawson makes really good front sights and a narrower front sight (.180 tall x .100 wide) will make it a lot easier to call your shots when shooting fast.

Anything above what I mentioned is pure frills and you would be better served by spending your money on bullets and practice time.

I agree with everything CHA-LEE said.Apex does make a foward setting sear,or trigger what ever they are calling it.It is pretty nice.I want one,but it puts me out of production.You can use it in Limited though.The Apex stuff,and the gun Smith will run you about the same price for trigger jobs.It will just depend on what you like more.Dan Burwell does a nice trgger job.There are videos on here of both if you look around a bit.Hope that helps some.Good luck,and have fun!!!

J.B.

• 1 month later...

well i have tried to do the kits before and was never happy. so Dan Burwell has done all of ours but one, that was done by SSS but they no longer do gunsmith work. i should add that i have tried some other M & P were the owner did it his self and it was very nice.

plus the overtravel-pretravel work he does makes it very 1911 like. all of ours are at 2.75# did try the 2.5 once but it is no longer crisp to me.

good luck!

Thanks Waktasz & RWF.

RWF- I def. won't be trying to installl kit without someone that really knows what they are doing. I rather have it done locally instead of shipping it out.

i can understand that. try to get a look at someones M & P that Dan or SSS did the travel work. they went about it diffrently but got same result. Dan adds material to the trigger bar in the front and some to the piece that the sear is housed in. but the way the M & P works as i understand you can not have both fully removed. just fyi

the only draw back to having Dan work on a gun is he can be very hard to get ahold of at the start for a date to send in your gun.

i am sure you can get some good work done local.

I have been able to get them down to 3.5# by just following the instructions on the burwell site. No special springs. I'm gonna try to run my MP40 Pro in L10 as soon as I get a good load made up.

Just too much competition in Production these days.LOL

• 2 weeks later...