Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Upgrades

I'm thinking of making a few upgrades to my 550 and was wondering what experiences ya'll have had.

UniqueTek 2X powder hopper. Loading 8 grains of powder at a shot keeps me busy refilling the stock hopper. Anybody use it? Any negative issues with it that I may be missing?

UniqueTeK micrometer powder bar kit. I know it will be easier to adjust but does it improve drop consistency at all? Any issues?

Redding competition seating die. I don't mind adjusting my Dillon die but was wondering if the Redding kept oal's more consistent. Some websites say to use it with the tool head clamp for better results. What say ya'll? I am not interested in clamping the tool head at all.

The Redding Competition Seating Die is well worth the money. Everything goes together straight. No bulges on one side or the other of the case when the bullet is seated.

The 2X hopper? I don't mind pouring powder when needed. How hard is it? Will your machine cover fit after you install it? Nope.

The Micrometer Powder Bar? I have one and wouldn't bother with another one. I was trying several different powders and charges for my open gun, so it helped in that aspect. Once I settled on a load it now just sits there. I noticed no additional accuracy. Heck, your still using the Dillon powder bar assembly which once it's set it's good to go.

Pat

+1 on the Redding Competition seating die. Especially if you're working up a lot of various OALs to dial in accuracy for specific bullet/powder/oal. Set a base line OAL, then just turn the dial in .01 increments from there. Holds the measurement perfectly, after I get dialed in to an OAL, it doesn't lose that measurement no matter how many rounds I load.

Only tried one Unique TeK product the micrometer powder bar kit and saw it as a fix for a problem that doesn't exist.

I would rather stick with Dillon parts on that one. If you need to double the hopper size on a 550 your flat cranking the handle.

I've never used the Redding Competition seating die but have only heard good about it. So far I've had good results with Lee's seating die, though I had a insert made for 9mm. It has a fine tune adjustment knob and I use a caliper to set OAL. I'm not having problems with OAL so if it's not broke don't fix it.

UniqueTeK micrometer powder bar kit - Have you added a generic knob yet? You can pick up a Black Flowerette from Home Depot for like $.60. If you haven't, its a 5/16" size. Sku is 30699 83748. You can find it in the bolts bins. One of the best upgrades I've found.

The micrometer will not add anything to consistency. When loading several loads with the same powder measure it really works great. Easier to set and return to a previous setting. Adjustment is much finer than standard. Once you find your load though it offers no advantage except for the much finer adjustment.

The hopper is your choice. I have used extended hopper on Star machines and they are fine. I use standard on my 650 and just fill every 500 rounds. I tend to load 500 in a run so it works out as a good place to stop or to dust things off and refill for the next 500.

Haven't tried the micrometer seating die yet but, it is on my list of things... Have heard good comments about it.

UniqueTek 2X powder hopper. -- Will the standard hopper hold enough for 100 rounds, if yes then just refill the hopper every time you add more primers.

UniqueTeK micrometer powder bar kit. -- If you frequently change the volume, then perhaps.

Redding competition seating die. -- The main advantage to the Redding and a couple other competition dies is not the adjustment, it's the guts. They capture the bullet and straighten it out before it goes in. This gives you an overall better and more consistent final product.

Your mileage may vary.

Micrometer powder bar kit- helps if you are working up loads. Very easy to dial in.

2X hopper, have 1 and cut about half of it off. Not really needed as you can load several hundred rounds without refilling anyway.

Powder baffle- didn't see the difference. Also polished the inside per UniqueTek reccomendations.

Redding competition seating die- truly a must have. Helps hold bullets in aliignment and makes OAL changes truly easy.

60972542.jpg

This information is a couple of years old, but they probably still use the same numbers.

The knobs are in the Nuts and Bolts isle of Home Depot in the specialty area where all the Specialty cap screws and such are in the pull out box drawers. These knobs are above the drawers in little plastic drop down pull boxes. There are several shapes and colors. They cost around .85 cents each.

The package calls them KNOB_TEE 5/16"...UPC # 0 3069978178 2.

There are also round knobs in various colors. SKU # 562-514

Not sure why you have a problem with powder measure consistency, the Dillon is probably the most consistent powder measure I've ever used, you might want to try a different powder. For comparison I have a Redding powder measure, and the Dillon is more consistent than the Redding.

The most common cause of variance in OAL is inconsistent bullet shape, at least in rifle calibers, you might want to try a different seating plug and see what happens.

Edited by g56

LoadingBench004.jpg

60972542.jpg

This information is a couple of years old, but they probably still use the same numbers.

The knobs are in the Nuts and Bolts isle of Home Depot in the specialty area where all the Specialty cap screws and such are in the pull out box drawers. These knobs are above the drawers in little plastic drop down pull boxes. There are several shapes and colors. They cost around .85 cents each.

The package calls them KNOB_TEE 5/16"...UPC # 0 3069978178 2.

There are also round knobs in various colors. SKU # 562-514

Not sure why you have a problem with powder measure consistency, the Dillon is probably the most consistent powder measure I've ever used, you might want to try a different powder. For comparison I have a Redding powder measure, and the Dillon is more consistent than the Redding.

The most common cause of variance in OAL is inconsistent bullet shape, at least in rifle calibers, you might want to try a different seating plug and see what happens.

As for the knobs, I have those beat by a mile.cheers.gif

LoadingBench004.jpg?t=1311286898

I don't really have too much problem with powder and oal's I am just always looking for a better fix to anything.

I use MG bullets so they are as good as it gets.

I have used nearly a dozen different powders in the last few years so I may have that covered as well.

Will your machine cover fit after you install it? Nope.

Mine will. I found a blue king size pillow case in the linen closet.:roflol:

And what did your wife say when she noticed her favorite pillow case covering you 550?:roflol:

Pat

Kevin, where did you get the blue knobs?

I stumbled across them a few years ago at monsterfasteners.com I had to order something like 20 of them to make the shipping manageable . So I sold them on the forums. I was going to buy more since they sold like hotcakes but alas the moderating staff put a beat down on me for selling illegally. sight.gif

I have read posts from some guys who say they can get the blue ones at Home Depot or Lowes but I have had both stores locally search for them and they are NOT in the database.

If you order a bag of them just post that you have done so and you won't have them for long. I think I was selling them for $4 shipped and made enough to cover the cost of the two knobs I kept for myself.

Kevin, Which size is that knob? I went to the site, and they have them in 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8. They come four to a box, but they did not show the other side of the knob so I could determine the right size.

Thanks for the information!

http://monsterfastener.com/itemview.aspx?itm=TSKBP-137

The knobs are actually intended to fit on allen head screws. They have little fins on the back instead of being shaped like a bolt head. They just press right on perfectly. That's why the 5/16" knob fits on the 7/16" nut on the powder measure.

Thanks, Kevin! I knew I could count on another old warhorse!

Kevin, where did you get the blue knobs?

I stumbled across them a few years ago at monsterfasteners.com... (edited for length) If you order a bag of them just post that you have done so and you won't have them for long.

I got a BIG box of 'em... PM me...