Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weight options for 9mm

Bayou

Well I finally ordered a 550 to get started and have a few questions on what grain bullet and powder. I've been reading alot about different grain weights but only have a small clue on the 115's from Montana Gold. I also want to order some 147's to use out of a RRA 9mm and a can to be subsonic. Should I order 115's and 147's, the 115's are alot cheaper and those would just be for plinking. I'm confused on the powder to use as I see W231 and Clays mentioned alot. Would either of those work for subsonic loads? I also see CCI mentioned alot for primers, I would be using the 115's in a Glock with reduced springs. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Bayou

Bullet weight depends on how you like the gun to feel. The 115s are going to have some snap to them. The 147s are soft and feel like a push. The 124/125 grain are going to have a little snap but not like the 115s. I run the 124s in mine just because its a good compromise for both guns I shoot. In the glock the 147s feel great. In the 1911, they feel very sluggish. The 124s feel great in the 1911 and good in the glock as well

Pretty much what he said. I settled on 124's since I thought the 147's were too sluggish for my taste. You are on the right track with Montana Golds. They are good bullets. And they are easy to get.

I don't think straight Clays is an ideal powder for 9mm. Try some TiteGroup.

CCI primers are a little harder than some other primer choices. They might not play well with light springs in a Glock unless you get a lengthened striker.

Unless you are competing, 115-125gn is the "normal" 9x19 bullet weights.

The 147 is actually a very heavy bullet for that little case and you need to remember not to push it to max unless you use a slow powder. In fact, if you aren't competing, you might want to consider 231/HP38 as your "fast" powder for 9x19 and Silhouette, AA7, and HS6 as your go-to powders.

If you're running reduced power, striker spring in your Glock, CCI primers may, or may not go off. They are a little harder than others. Federal primers should run 100%.

As far as bullets go, you need to try the different weights and see what feels best for YOU. Very few people run with 115s. A lot of guys like the 147s, or 124-125s better.

Even though I've never tried Clays in 9mm, I've heard that accuracy with it is not the best. I quit using Clays in other guns due to velocity swings with temperature. Titegroup is a very good powder for 9mm, and VV320 is better, but, costs twice as much.

Well the 115's are out guess I'll use the 124's. I was going to use the 147's for subs with the can. Just have to find the right powder and primers. I thought I've read that the Fed's are to soft but that could have been Winchesters.

Fed primers are the softest, Win are in the middle, CCI are the hardest.

You should not have any problems with Fed primers. Personally, they are my fav primers, had ZERO issues after loading and shooting 30K+ rounds with them.

TiteGroup is very popular for 9mm, be it 115gr, 124gr or 147gr bullet. It's reasonably priced, measures very well and so on. It'll allow you to get proper velocity for getting PF130 with any bullet without risk of running very high pressure.

I'm talking loads for USPSA Prod and IDPA.

I believe I will just order some bulk bullets and buy some powder locally to try out a few rather order a large quantity of just one. I can also see where starting with a fast powder would make it difficult to notice a double when I'm new to this. Thanks again

You will notice double charge in 9mm case right away, there won't be much or any at all room left for the bullet, even with fast powder like TG, Clays, N320 or so.

If you have bullet feeder thou, you would like to have powder cop. If you seat bullets manually - you will get used to glancing inside case to check powder level; it's possible you may get low level or no powder at all.

-1 on CCI primers in 9mm. They're hard to seat and prone to light strikes if you don't get them in far enough. I've had good results with Winchester primers. I'm loading 124 Gr. FMJs over TG in a G34 and I'm pretty happy with the recoil feel.

I have been using CCI primers and had no problem with light primer strikes until I switched to a light striker spring in my G17. Became a problem and I had to switch the striker spring back. Recommend other than CCI if you're using a light striker spring in a Glock.

I had been using 147 Montana Golds with TiteGroup and loved it . Ran out of that load before my last match and grabbed some 124s I had sitting around. Both around the same PF and the recoil was just perfect and really got the sights back on target. I may be switching to 124s, they're cheaper too.

I guess I'm the odd man out the only thing I like 115's for is steel..... I PREFER 147's for IPSC/IDPA it's a soft push and slide velocity is quite tame....then again I'm generally a 45 acp shooter so that may play a part in the 147's !?

I think the OP wants to load down to sub-sonic (under 1100 fps), for use with a suppressed gun.

Suppressed 9mm's are TOUGH to get to run reliably! If you are going to shoot a suppressed 9mm, you NEED to shoot as heavy of a bullet as you can, so the 147 IS your best option. This is why the Special Ops guys who run suppressed weapons in combat almost always run a 45 ACP, either in the HK, or 1911 platform... Not Berettas. If you're running suppressed, from a RRA 1911 platformed 9mm gun... go heavy.

My 9mm competition loads, at 130 Power Factor (for USPSA) is a 147gr 9mm, clocking 885 fps. 885fps is easily subsonic, and should run a suppressed gun, but you may be able to push it up toward 950 fps for more energy, and still keep the noise down. The slide speed and lock-up is significantly effected by a can hanging off the end of the barrel. If you're shooting 115gr bullets, you have to push the bullet 1130 fps to get to similar energy levels, which is supersonic, and will give you too much "crack" leaving the suppressor. ALSO... you have to consider that a 7-8" suppressor, will result in an effective barrel length of 9-10 inches... so a bullet that leaves my 5" barrel at 885 fps, might get up closer to 900 suppressed.

Your best bet is to contact the manufacture of the suppressor, and find out what THEY shoot (weight and velocity) to run their system optimally...

JW

Was looking for sub loads for a RRA 9mm AR suppressed, it should cycle with no problems. I think I will just get a pound of something and try it and if doesn't fancy me I will try something else. Gonna try the Winchester primers since a shop up the road has those and great prices on powder compared to BassPro. Also gonna order some 124's and decide on which powder to try first. I know I'm putting the horse before the cart with my press not here yet but I would like some components so I'm not just sitting and staring at a press.

Really just looking for plinkin loads and the 115's are cheaper than the 124's and ordering from PD or MG you have to order in bulk to save. Atleast 2,000 from PD and a case from MG do get the better price. I'd hate to get 2,000 115's from PD and realize that the 124's would be better and likewise from MG.