Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Guide for Revolvers

southtexaswoman

In my S&W revolvers I use SGL on the rebound slide and rebound slide spring, a dab on the cam face of the cylinder stop and a tiny wipe on the cam face of the trigger. It seems to smooth things out just as good as the old RIG +P Gun Grease.

It works fine on the Cowboy guns, just do the Brylcreeme thing - don't pack 'em full.

Frankly, I don't think grease is appropriate for handgun applications in general, particularly in northern climates. And I am definitely not in favor of using any kind of grease in revolver actions. Synthethic motor oil (Mobil 1, etc.) is the best lubrication I have found for handguns. A little synthetic oil between the cylinder and the yoke barrel, a drop on both the inside and outside of the rebound slide, and a couple drops on the pivot points should be all you need to properly lubricate the gun for a long period of time.

I've tried both Slide Glide and Slide Glide Lite and didn't like either for a revo, ok in the auto in some spots.

I've tried everythng else I can get my grubby paws on from the Brownells stuff to Mobil 1 to Silicone/Teflon to Rem Oil

Actually settled on Rem Oil as the best for me.

One a single action, especially a Ruger single action with the hammer blow from hell, it would probably work well for you.

I use it on base pins and the front and rear bearing surfaces of the cylinder. I generally don't use it in the lock works but there are plenty of places it would help if you had it all apart.

I don't understand the need for esoteric lubricants on handguns in general and revolvers in particular. The pressures, temperatures, and velocities just aren't that great. Back when I was new to guns I tried some of the esoteric (read: stupidly expensive) lubricants that claimed to "bind to the metal." These days I use Mobil One, not because I think it is superior to other motor oils, but because I had a bottle in the basement. I expect that bottle will last the rest of my life. YMMV.

:D

mobil one and amsoil is what I use, I use lubriplate engine assembly lube on the guns I build, using alite grease like lubriplate

engine assembly lube is good, especially on the disconnector ramp on the slide, their is a ot of pressure on this part of a 1911,

taking the mainspring housing apart several times a year and using a lite grease in the housing makes your trigger pull a lot more consistent. Put a little bit of lubraplate along with a drop or two of mobil one in the trigger group will keep things slick and retard

wear.

Ive used this kind of grease for 20+ years. ;)

Jim/Pa

Sailors

• 3 weeks later...