Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

which mods actually matter?

Kimberkid

Hey guys I am brand new to 3Gun/Multigun and hoping you can offer some advice. I am looking to get a new shotgun for tactical divisions, and am torn between an SLP, Benelli M2 and SX2. I am a bit confused by which mods are actually worth what they cost. I dont mind paying good money, but I want to be sure I got my moneys worth. I have test shot an SLP and SX2 both in stock configuration, and am leaning toward an SLP but am open to advice. I am a bit curious why Benellis get more love than others, when all reports say they are most expensive with more recoil.

I am also a bit confused on capacity rules. I know rules vary a lot for some of the "rogue" 3Gun matches but for USPSA Multigun, or for the other most common matches, what is the rules on "Ghost Loading"? I was told that 8 rds + 1 chambered is the max for tactical divisions. How does Ghost Loading fit with that rule? I was also told that it is not possible to Ghost Load an SLP, is this a big drawback? or a small one?

In your opinions, which of these mods are worth their cost to a middle of the pack shooter, a guy who is competitive, but more concerned with fun?

1. Opening up loading port

2. Backboring

3. Lightening Bolt

4. Trigger work

5. Modified lifter

6. Any others I forgot??

Thanks guys for any/all advice.

Edited by Kimberkid

This may be tough as I don't think the priority list will hold true from model to model. What's most important to one design may not be to another.

To me, opening the port was the most important thing I did to my M2. But not all guns are as narrow/sharp as the stock Benelli's receiver is at the bottom.

Edited by cas

Welding up the lifter on a Benelli is pretty important for most folks too. I think I lucked out genetically and find it hard to get my thumb stuck in a stock lifter but i can see how it is possible. Mine has never bit me but it has trapped the thumbs of several people who have shot it.

Just my $.025

J-Ho

Thanks guys, anyone tried all 3 of these models and have any observations to share?

Yep, and I borrowed some to shoot at the range too. I shot Remingtons for 20 years and finally switched to a more durable platform. The SX2 and the SLP really have the same operating system, just different configurations, the SLP being ready to go for 3 gun, the SX2 models generally needing some mods. Some of the arguments Benelli v SLP may be a Ford v. Chevy thing, but if you are going to plunk down your money, shoot both, preferably in a match, before you choose. The Benelli does recoil more than the SLP, but it is also lighter. The barrel on the SLP is thicker and the sights are adjustable, which is why the barrels don't need to be bent like the Benellis sometimes do. The trigger on the SLP felt better to me than the Benelli. All in all, I think the SLP is a better shotgun for 3 gun for me.

I would not modify anything for the first 500 rounds or so to make sure everything works as it is supposed to. The mods you make, or do not make is dependant on which shotgun you choose, your loading technique, you hand size and maybe what loads you use. You can ghost load an SLP.

Thanks Mark, I guess I should add that I weak hand load off of belt racks, for whatever that matters. Where is Ghost Loading legal? or legal?

Can anyone explain more about the need to bend barrels? I have heard reference to this but no idea of how/why this is.

Thanks Mark, I guess I should add that I weak hand load off of belt racks, for whatever that matters. Where is Ghost Loading legal? or not legal?

Can anyone explain more about the need to bend barrels? I have heard reference to this but no idea of how/why this is.

Thanks Mark, I guess I should add that I weak hand load off of belt racks, for whatever that matters. Where is Ghost Loading legal? or not legal?

Barrels are bent to adjust point of aim to point of impact for slugs if needed.

Most all the major matches are multi-gun rules, you can start with 9 in the gun but load anything after the buzzer. We run a 9 rd. ext. because a lot of starts are " empty chamber" so use 9 in the tube.

Probably something that doesn't need to mentioned but just to make sure - the very first mod would be a longer mag tube to ensure you have at least 8 round capacity. It is vital to have the max capacity to start with, just as Benny said also. My first M1 I ran with 5 rounds a couple times and it really sucks, get the extension.

I am also a bit confused on capacity rules. I know rules vary a lot for some of the "rogue" 3Gun matches but for USPSA Multigun, or for the other most common matches, what is the rules on "Ghost Loading"? I was told that 8 rds + 1 chambered is the max for tactical divisions. How does Ghost Loading fit with that rule? I was also told that it is not possible to Ghost Load an SLP, is this a big drawback? or a small one?

To answer your question on ghost loading, it depends on the ext. tube if you need to ghost load or not. The guns that have a true 8 round tube capacity are the ones that are being ghost loaded. That is used when you have a stage started with an empty chamber. The gun can be loaded to division capacity (9 rounds) but must have an empty chamber. Guys with a tube that only holds 8 rounds will ghost load one on the lifter and have 9 rounds in the gun at the start with the chamber still being empty.

... most major matches rules (to include USPSA and IPSC) "empty chamber" starts are 8 rounds ONLY (unless you are in OPEN DIVISION)... There may be some local matches that allow 9 thou...

so "ghost loading" isn't really necessary with an 8 round tube...or a 9 round tube isn't necessary either. Its a good option to have and tube that is longer than 8 rounds, but read the individual match's rules to be sure more than 8 is allowed AFTER THE START. If it isn't, its best to plug the tube to 8 rounds.

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ