Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Diamondback DB9, small 9mm carry gun

Does anybody have any experience with the Diamondback DB9? It looks promising for carry but they are pretty new and I haven't been able to fondle one yet. I know they had some trouble with their first offering a little 380acp but I've heard their pretty quick at solving their problems.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no information to post on DB 9, But I do own DB .380 which I bought last spring. I had extraction problems using American Eagle ammo but it extracted Remington ammo fine. I called Diamondback they sent me shipping lable for return and in less than 2 weeks I had it back working perfectly. After my purchase I found that my gun didnt have the updates on extractor, with this being a relatively new gun company I understood the possibility of problems. Let me tell you this is a very accurate little gun and it fits my hands alot better than others in its class. Its kind of like a Glock/Kahr combo I hope to see some posts on here about the DB 9 also.

I've had a DB9 for a few weeks now. Dare say it is the ultimate pocket gun but it is no fun to shoot! Not the recoil but due to the short grip, it rotates so fast that it really whacks your trigger finger. It won't load most hollowpoints from the magazine without upward pressure on the mag. but functions fine after that. According to the diamondback forum, the co. has developed a follower to correct the problem. I have not had any other problems but have only fired a few rounds. I do like the striker action & found it to be quite accurate. Mostly, I'll continue to carry my PF9 in a CompTac 2 o'clock AIWB holster and pocket carry the DB9 when the other is not practical.

I have one and have about 100 rounds through it.

In the beginning, I had mid-mag unfired round stovepipes with factory ball, my reload ball, and my reload JHP. Surprisingly, it ran Blazer ball, without a hitch, from the start.

I found the Diamondback forum and did some recommended mag tweaks. It helped.

I spoke with a tech rep. at Diamonback and he was very nice and helpful.

Mine shoots POA at 15yds. It's not terrible to shoot but about 100 rounds during a weekend wasn't fun. It is a great pistol for pocket carry. Mags are pricey-~$35 (and they are ACT mags!)

Mine was priced at $350. That's very reasonable for a pocket pistol.

Dave

Thanks for the reply's, I'm particularly concerned about the trigger reset. The trigger reset on my Ruger LCP is to long and was hoping for something a little shorter. A local gun shops just got one in so I'll soon be able to lay my hands on one, overall owners seem to be happy with this gun it just seems to have a few minor growing pains. Please continue with any input you may have.

Thanks Tim

• 3 months later...

Ive been looking at these for a pocket gun... Im still on the fence! But it looks like the company has taken care of their customers really well!

I have heard customer service has been good, Jeff Quinn gave it a good report and said to shoot with quality ammo, other than that not much negative. Not many slip in the pocket size guns in 9mm available. The ruger is good but large, and I prefer not to spend 1K on a rohrbaugh.

Purchased one on friday, perfect size for pocket. It would not load, gold dots, remington sabres or winchester HP from a full mag. Got the slide part way out of the mag and jam on the ramp thing, the slide would not move even if slapped, and could not drop the mag without reaching in there and sliding the round back in the mag all the way.

The gun loads them just fine if there is only one round in the mag. Since it was not shot, we took it back. Our FFL is going to contact DB on monday. They offered to send it to DB but the gun has not been fired and if it has to start making trips back to the factory already then maybe there is an alternative.

The size is what is so attractive, the only other is a Rohrbaugh.

I traded my DB9 back to my dealer.

It would not, reliably, feed JHP of any make.

I spoke to the owners, face to face, at the industry masters. They promised to make it right.

I sent the pistol, with a letter outlining problems (specifically JHP), back to DB. It was returned with a note that it ran ball ammo reliably, they had tweaked the mags, and no other problems found.

They were courteous and responsive at all times. They just didn't fix the pistol.

No more DB for me.

Dave

Dave,

What do you think is a good reliable quality replacement? of the same size and caliber.

That's a tough question.

A friend has a Rorhbaugh and really likes it. Big money for a pocket pistol IMO.

I've shot a Keltec pocket 9. It ran 100% but the trigger pull was a mile long. Even as a revoler guy, I couldn't get used to it.

I've gone back to my Colt Mustang in .380. It isn't a 9 but I shoot it well.

Dave

I won a PF9 off a prize table. I had just been talking about pocket 9's so it was perfect. It came with a box of Hornady 124gr JHP's. Functioned perfect with those. The trigger pull is a bit long but it has almost a two stage feel to it like a Glock. I actually like it quite a bit. Two handed firing seemed a bit harsh, as to be expected. Very acurate though. I shot it one handed and it was very pleasant. Allowing the gun to move around a little during recoil softened the harsh feel.

I carry mine daily in a Nemises pocket holster. I'd like to try the Comptac 2Oclock though, for when I wear jeans.

• 3 months later...

Shot a DB9 this past weekend.... Liked it. At 10' I popped a couple of rounds into the upper A panel of a USPSA target in about 2 seconds. Not as bad a "pop" to the hand as I had expected. I don't think an experienced shooter will really consider the recoil a negative. With that being said I think I don't think I will get one for my wife "tiny little hands" to replace her Kel Tec .380.

I will be getting one when I can find one and then have Benny Hill do a little profiling and polish on the feed ramp - as he has done to mine and various other Kel Tecs and Rugers brought into the shop. If his carry package modifications help the DB9 as much as they do the Kel Tecs and Rugers I think I will have a new carry pocket pistol.

• 1 year later...

Its been a year since Ive heard anything about these little guns on here. Does anyone have anything new to add?

I have heard that the more recent ones have had the feeding issues resolved, but have not heard any firsthand experiences.

Im in the market for a pocket 9 and this one is at the top of my list. Thanks for any info!

I've sold a handful through the gun shop I work in. I've had all but one come back due to feeding, ejection, and/or magazine issues. What has surprised me the most is that the stainless slides, straight from the factory, come in rusted. It seems that they're an expensive door stop, just not enough weight to make a boat anchor out of.

Edited by GreenDragon64

• 1 year later...

I bought a SCCY a month ago, now have a few hundred rounds thru it, both factory "Remington", and my own reloads. Have yet to have the 1st hick-up of any kind, I did replace the factory recoil spring with a 20 #, to reduce felt recoil. The little shoots great and I like it so much I bought a 2nd one.

I now have the CPX 2 CB with the black slide, I purchased the CPX 1 TT, it has the safety and a sand blasted stainless slide.

Got one for casual dress "the black one" and one for "dress up" the 2 tone.

Oh ya, I also applied Slide Glide to the slide & frame rails, really slicked things up, REALLY like it.

• 2 weeks later...