Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Grip screw fell out

dagger10k

As the thread title says, the little screw on the right side of the front of the plastic grip is missing. I noticed it after coming back from the range yesterday. Will this pose a problem? I assume it helps to hold the grip on the gun? Everything still feels really solid.

The only thing that needs to be there is the sleeve but without the screws, it'll probably fall out.

Hopefully, you have a spare or a back-up that you can cannibalize.

You definitely need it in there.

Are you talking about the tiny screw in the front of the trigger guard? If so, yes, that goes through a loop in the frame. It may feel solid but I wouldn't run it without it. I think Shooters Connection has some but it's part of a kit...Good luck

Cool, thanks Norbert. I don't think I'm gonna be at a match until maybe the next Richmond one. I'll see you there hopefully? In the meantime I'll try to find something to stop it from falling out.

If you just need the screw and not the sleeve I have one for you.

Cool, thanks Norbert. I don't think I'm gonna be at a match until maybe the next Richmond one. I'll see you there hopefully? In the meantime I'll try to find something to stop it from falling out.

If you just need the screw and not the sleeve I have one for you.

Send me a SASE and I'll send it to you. I'll PM you my addy.

I picked up a 1/4" socket head 4-40 screw from ace hardware, and after grinding it down a bit, it looks like it will work. Squirted some blue loctite in there any hopefully it will hold. I should be good for a while.

I've only had my STI 9mm since Jan, and I've lost that damn screw twice! :angry: First time wasn't lock tite, but the second one was, third one I had a Smith make sure it only comes out when I need it to come out.

I've only had my STI 9mm since Jan, and I've lost that damn screw twice! :angry: First time wasn't lock tite, but the second one was, third one I had a Smith make sure it only comes out when I need it to come out.

Really? I've owned STI pistols since 1994 and I've never had one even come loose. Which Locktite are you using? What did your gunsmith do?

Really? I've owned STI pistols since 1994 and I've never had one even come loose. Which Locktite are you using? What did your gunsmith do?

I had a couple come out. I just had one come out at the last match. If your pistols get all rusted, it will never come out. I keep mine dry and lubricated. I need another one also. Maybe I should buy two just in case.

Randy

Note also that the stainless hex sockets will strip out very readily, especially if you Loctite the bejesus out of them. I've been replacing all of mine with alloy steel torx-head screws (McMaster cat. pg. 3118) so that I can get them tight AND Loctite them AND still be able to get them out.

Note also that the stainless hex sockets will strip out very readily, especially if you Loctite the bejesus out of them. I've been replacing all of mine with alloy steel torx-head screws (McMaster cat. pg. 3118) so that I can get them tight AND Loctite them AND still be able to get them out.

Is the company you are referring to called McMaster-Carr??? That's a phenomenal replacement idea - I love Torx over Hex...have even replaced some on my H-D because of the very reason you stated!

Thanks for the idea!!!