Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Case Failure

TexasShootR

Sure hope this never happens again. It's one of those things that happen very quickly and for a moment you just think Oh Shit! hope it didn't break anything (my hand I'm talking about). When it happened I felt a blast to the face and what i would describe as a small firecracker going off in my hand, the case was flipped in the chamber and the magazine blew out. Fortunately I didn't get hurt (maybe my pride a little for dropping the gun)just some gun powder marks on my hand. Not sure why it happened but my guess would be a weak case. I do pick up range brass so you take your chances. After gathering myself I snapped a few pictures of it, then reloaded it and shot of a few more rounds. Everything seems ok with the gun, can't see any damage. Don't know how serious that could have been but I am thanking me lucky stars!

here some pictures:

th_40CaseSplit003-1.jpg

th_40CaseSplit002-1.jpg

th_40CaseSplit008.jpg

th_40CaseSplit006.jpg

That's about the expected burns that one gets from a case failure: Given the marks on the index finger, I am actuall surprised that it didn't blow the trigger itself off of the trigger bar.

Couple of questions:

1. Do you use a GRX die, an EGW U-Die, or a case roll sizer in your reloading process?

2. Which powder and bullet weight?

3. What is your taper crimp dimension?

Best of luck!!!

That's about the expected burns that one gets from a case failure: Given the marks on the index finger, I am actuall surprised that it didn't blow the trigger itself off of the trigger bar.

Couple of questions:

1. Do you use a GRX die, an EGW U-Die, or a case roll sizer in your reloading process?

2. Which powder and bullet weight?

3. What is your taper crimp dimension?

Best of luck!!!

I do use a Lee U carbide sizing die

5.0gn VV N-320, col 1.30 MG 180 JHP

.421 taper crimp

My 40 major loads, when loaded to short OAL, did that a few times...luckily they were in a Para P16 when it happened, but still caught my attention especially with the blast in the face. Loaded them longer and the issue ceased in the Para.

For Glocks, 40 major is a no-no with short OAL unless you use the a good powder that can make PF under pressure...try some Solo 1000. It seems to be a little safer. Start with 4.0 grains and work up SLLLOOOOWWWLLLYYY. I use 4.2 solo, 1.130 OAL with 185 gr Precision moly...PF around 170.

Glad you are ok.

It was a Winchester case. You can barely see it in the photo.

I agree with John. 5.0 seems a little hotter than I'd like, but certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

.40 is very sensitive to fast powders (of which N320 is one) and bullet set-back. It is a high-pressure round to begin with, combined with a short web at the base of the case.

A certain manufacturer that has been dogged by the kB phenomenon did a test a few years ago. They loaded some ammo and had it pressure tested. They then shortened the same load just a little bit (like 0.030) and tested again. Pressures doubled.

Your use of a U-Die looks good to me. The crimp numbers look good. The KKM barrel has a bit more support in the feedramp area than an OEM barrel. Hopefully, this was just a fluke.

Edited by Braxton1

Just a heads up you might be able to load them a little longer I've loaded up to 1.145 on my g35/ w KKM and the mags run 100% at that length its only .010 longer that what your loading but it helps.

Glad your ok!!! What headstamp was that case?

It was a Winchester, sorry about the OAL, It measures 1.135. The day I chrono'd this round it averaged 170 PF (946 FPS) not sure what kind of pressure it produces. Today I used the gun in a local match, it ran good without any problems. I think after 15K rounds or so of range brass this was bound to happen. Best start inspecting my brass a little closer!

Thanks,

Had this happen to a buddy but part of the casing blew back into his face and embedded in his glasses...can't even imagine how bad it would have #$%@ed up his eye...well, I can, just don't want too... :sick:

It was a Winchester, sorry about the OAL, It measures 1.135. The day I chrono'd this round it averaged 170 PF (946 FPS) not sure what kind of pressure it produces. Today I used the gun in a local match, it ran good without any problems. I think after 15K rounds or so of range brass this was bound to happen. Best start inspecting my brass a little closer!

Thanks,

Glad you are ok! I would have to agree with you on this. But, even with a detailed inspection how would you be able to see that. Makes me want to throw out my win brass.

All of the brass that I have been using have only been reloaded twice. I haven't used any of the range brass yet.

It was a Winchester, I think after 15K rounds or so of range brass this was bound to happen.

Glad you are ok! Makes me want to throw out my win brass.

All of the brass that I have been using have only been reloaded twice. I haven't used any of the range brass yet.

I've been shooting range brass in my TruBor 9mm major and just recently

had three case failures - all Winchester brass??? I have shot thousands

of them in the past (1.165" OAL, 7.2 gr WAC and 124 grain MG JHP), and

all in one month, I had three of these failures.

Still not sure what the problem is - but haven't had any since then:)

Jack

I am glade to hear your ok. I shoot 4.5 grains red dot with a 200 lfp bullet all day.OAL of 1.130 med crimp.Safe way to make major not fancy but it works.

Edited by usmc1974

5.0gn VV N-320, col 1.30 MG 180 JHP

You are the second person I have seen recently suggest that much powder. I load MG 180 over 4.5gr of N320 for my Glock 35 and comfortably make major - in fact that's probably hotter than I really need. And I agree that 1.30 is too short.

Glad you and your shooter are OK, thanks for the post. Some of the faster powders feel good right up till..........

Good reminder when your loading on the edge.

May just be me but seems newer Winchester 45acp brass is a little thinner than it used to be, cost savings in today's world. It may be the same in other calibers also.

USMC1974, don't see people mention it much but agree Red Dot is a good choice.

• 2 months later...

Glad you were not injured...

I was at DTC in 2007 and witnessed the following: just got done shooting a stage and was sitting in my folding chair about 20 ft. behind start box, loading my mags for the next stage... buzzer goes off and heard two quick shots then a destinctive VERY loud shot, followed by the shooter immediately dropping his gun and jumping back with a shocked look on his face. He was ultimately ok (minor cuts on hand)... the mag blew out of the gun, along with the extractor. It was a G22 (L10) and have no idea about his load stats. Was DQd of course for dropping the gun but nobody seriously injured. Could not see any visible cracks in barrel/slide.... Personnaly would be a bit nervous about shooting a gun like that again without getting the top end x-rayed for cracks.

C.