Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question on Anderson's Dryfire book

Does Steve Anderson's book just basically explain the dryfire exercises, or does it also provide a little training on the proper technique that should be used in the drill?

I'm a very new shooter - I've taken a 6 hour "intro to competitive shooting" course, but that's about it. While I remember a lot from the class, I'm a little worried that if I start on a dryfire program, that I will start practicing bad techniques and then this in turn will lead to bad habits. I want to ensure I have the fundamentals down, too.

Yes I have the book, got it last week, its mostly exercises with litle explanations for the techniques. Overal it seems like a good book. I have not yet trained by the book but will start my dry fire training next week.

Br Tom

I too purchased this book a few weeks ago. In my opinion and based of research, you must dry fire to become competitive. SO far I have only worked on 6 exercises from the first section. I spend about 30 minutes three times a week working to the books prescribed times. You will also need a timer to train with.

My times have already reduced and confidence is building. After two weeks of exercises, I went the reange and practiced with live fire. Felt like I lost .2 seconds when pressure of live fire was introduced. It is important to slow down at first, but quickly increase times to challenge yourself. It's the only way to see results on the reange.

I am very happy with this addition to my training routine. A definite must have. Enjoy!

I got the book as well, but I've run into one question:

How do you choose which drills to run and when? I've been picking and choosing drills for the last week or so, and I realize I need to get a structured "lesson plan" as it were.

• 4 weeks later...

I got the book as well, but I've run into one question:

How do you choose which drills to run and when? I've been picking and choosing drills for the last week or so, and I realize I need to get a structured "lesson plan" as it were.

As far as what drill to do and when, I think that is up to the weaknesses of the shooter. At the very beginning you can benefit most from the basics of just establishing and index and getting the gun out of the holster and on target safely and repeatably. After that, its about paying attention to what you do in live fire to know what you need to work on in dryfire. You cant really go wrong with any drill that focuses on transitions though since that is what you are doing with most of your time on the majority of stages aside from actually firing the gun, which you cant really do in dryfire anyway. :blink:

• 2 years later...

Thought I refresh this post rather than start a new one. Do you require a lot of space to do Steve's dry fire training?

Nope. I've done it in a 12x12 bedroom, but more space would probable make it easier. Just use scaled targets to make up for the distance.

scaling is easy. If you wanted to practice 10 yd targets (30') but only have 10' (1/3 of the distance) of space, scale your targets to 1/3 of their original size. To use these targets for a simulated 20 yd target move out to 20', etc

scaling is easy. If you wanted to practice 10 yd targets (30') but only have 10' (1/3 of the distance) of space, scale your targets to 1/3 of their original size. To use these targets for a simulated 20 yd target move out to 20', etc

You are right.....

Sometimes the easiest answers are the hardest ones to figure it out...thanks God for the forums :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

I guess you just photocopy the targets into a scaled down version? Do you know where I could find targets to photocopy rather than buying, I am in Australia and most stuff are in the USA. Also, we use targets without the head portion here in IPSC Australia.

• 3 weeks later...

depends. If that link is to a 1:1 full sized target then you need to scale to 33% of the original. However, If it is less than full size you'll need to do some math ... I don't remember off the top of my head what the dimensions are for a full sized target but that should be easy to find. Once you know the size of the full size target you can then figure out what the linear dimensions would be for a 1/3 sized target. Now you know what the end goal dimensions are and you know what the starting dimensions are for the target you simply to do some ratio math to determine what percentage you need to scale the target you have to get to 1/3 of a full sized target ...