Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any advantage of rifle sling?

In 3G, is rifle sling add some advantage to the shooter?

I'm talking about controling muzzle jump. During the old days, in the military they teach you how important the sling is to the rifle (like garand) and proper use of it could give you a steady aim.

Is this apply to the rifles use in 3G?

Or using muzzle break/compensator instead of sling?

For 3 gun, if the rifle sling is not required to carry your rifle while using another gun or used to retain your rifle while doing something other than shooting, it's typically more of a hinderance. It will get caught on props, on walls, on brush, on ports, tangled with your other gear. If it's hanging below the rifle, you will notice your sights drifting left and right as the sling swings back and forth. It takes too long to get into the sling for a precision shot, only to untangle it to abandon your rifle later in a stage.

Then there is the 1% of stages that a sling as a shooting aid is beneficial. Have a sling, learn how to use it, keep it in your shooting bag unless it's required. :)

Edited by Bryan 45

Agree with Brian.

Most 3G stage procedures will not require you to have your long gun slung while shooting another gun. Having a sling on your long gun will be more of a hinderance. In 3G, your shooting againts a clock, therefore versatility is a plus. Having to get into a good shooting position with a sling each and everytime you have to shoot will just slow you down, and a sling increases your chances of havign it get tangled onto something, including your body when the stage procedure requires you to have to abandon the long gun.

On the other hand, if the stage do require you to have your long gun slung, then by all means have it pre-adjusted so it would help give you a steadier aim. I use the VTAC 2-point sling in both my rifle and shotgun, but ONLY WHEN REQUIRED by the stage procedure. The advantage of the VTAC is its quick adjust function. I can clinch it tight to my body when slung to keep it secured and from bouncing around when I run. Then with the quick release and the pre-adjusted slack, I can get it to the right adjustment quickly to aid in steadying my aim.

Plus youll have to watch match rules on its use. At a recent match I asked if I could use my sling on some distant targets & was told no. The sling constituted a shooting aid which was prohibited in HM.

HUH? :surprise:

Wow... :wacko:

that's a new one...don't see any prohibition of slings in the base IMGA rules, never heard of it anywhere either...

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

I have shot several matches that required you to have a sling on your rifle. If you showed up without one, they gave you some string. They never said you had to use the sling, but it had to be on the rifle. I agree with what has been said above, by all means have one that you are familiar with in your bag and only use it when required.

Hurley

I run a Ching sling almost all the time and use it as a shooting aide quit a bit. Matter of fact I slung up on the long range stage at CMMG. If you don't know about Ching slings look it up, all the support of a loop sling, faster get in and out of than a hasty sling...oh and it also carries the rifle. Kelly has one in his bag and I have one on the rifle almost all the time.

In USPSA I've never used a sling. I have shot IDPA and IMG rules 3 Gun matches where they transitioned to hand gun without a palce to dump the rifle, without a sling I just moved the rifle to the left hand and shot strong hand. I now keep a single point sling in my bag for just such occasions, then its just drop the rifle and let it hang draw and shoot free style. I've also had my rifle quit and went to hand gun to finish a stage. Keep in mind with a single point sling that shorts are not recommended unless you got good health coverage to cover the burns from the hot rifle.

I find that the sling is a distraction while shooting. I was taught the same thing in the Army about the sling, but in this sport by the time you get slinged up you should have been done on the stage.

• 2 weeks later...

I run a Ching sling almost all the time and use it as a shooting aide quit a bit. Matter of fact I slung up on the long range stage at CMMG. If you don't know about Ching slings look it up, all the support of a loop sling, faster get in and out of than a hasty sling...oh and it also carries the rifle. Kelly has one in his bag and I have one on the rifle almost all the time.

I use a VTAC 2 pt. sling for general purpose use BUT I'm with Kurt on the value of a Ching sling. If faced with a stage where there is going to be any sort of unsupported kneeling or sitting, I'll put my Ching sling on. The VTAC can be used as shooting aid but it's not as good a shooting aid as the Ching sling.

Most American 3 gunners overlook the value of the shooting sling. As a fallen highpower shooter I don't.

AVTAC-style two-point sling can be uses as a brace to push out against. I find this mode of sling use to be quite helpful in carbine and 3G matches, besides just for transitioning to a pistol.

Its a simpler and more practical way to stabilize the gun than an arm-cuff or hasty sling, yet still more restrictive than no sling at all. YMMV

Im an old 3-position shooter too

Ahh my fine friend you guess wrong. I make my own Ching Sling with two G.I. M-16 slings a chunk of rubber fuel line and some screw grommets, I got about 10 bucks in them. But you are right about the two sling swivels in the fore-end! Got this set up on ARs and M-14s...fast fast, fast and all the support of a shooting sling....most folks just don't understand or even know about the Ching Sling, like the last couple of posts! KurtM